Edinburgh InterCity Tourney :: Official Banter

Pete

Edinburgh InterCity Tourney :: Official Banter

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:24 am

Following on the heels of the successful and inaugural InterCity tournament that Quinn's hosted in London this year, the winners of that tournament are in Edinburgh in January 2016.

A team formed from two of the most vocal metas in Christendom -- Reading and Oxford -- will soon be travelling to the savage north to raid servers and scorch runners.

There's not a lot of chatter about it on these boards so I thought I'd kick some off. Who's going? There's talk of the Bristol lot making an appearance but I have heard naught but rumours. Any interest from Cheltenham and Gloucester? Surely the Birmingham crew are going to make an appearance?

Trash talk away! :P
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
GuyCliquil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Edinburgh InterCity Tourney :: Official Banter

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 am

As of the 9th of October the following were teams registered:

Edinburgh
Bristol
Glasgow
Sheffield
Leeds
Huddersfield
Cardiff
Reading/Oxford
Aberdeen

I have since heard that London are sending a team from the fact they are organising a tournament to set their team.

No Birmingham?
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Rotage
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Rotage » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Bristol is going, and we've already had our qualifier and sorted out factions.

No, I'm not telling you who's going and who's playing what.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Out of interest (I'm not going), what's the format going to be for the tournament?

I really enjoyed this weekend's team tournament - a lot more than I expected, and a lot more than Quinn's team tournament. (I mean no offence to Quinn!). The biggest difference for me was sitting with my team on the same table, playing our games together, and getting to offer advice when you had time. The table talk was pretty cool, as was the picking matchups (one team picked one matchup, the other team picked the remaining two). This added a lot to construction of teams (more than I'd expected), as you could pick and choose your matchups sometimes. The previous team tournament I'd attended was basically a bunch of disconnected swiss pods, which was rather unsatisfying as a team event.

It might be too late to change the way the Edinburgh format works, but it's something I'd like to get out there. (This won't be the last time I post this.)
mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:33 pm

It's the same format as Quinns tournament.

I asked on facebook for it to be changed to the KoS format, but to no avail.

I should also say that should Bristol win, the next event will be arranged in teams, with table talk.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:41 pm

So long as someone south of the border wins this time, that way we can try to arrange a Glos/Chelt team for next time. Unfortuantely I don't think any of us particularly wanted to trek that far north for the event...
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:18 pm

mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:30 pm

I think teams of 4 > teams of 3, and also pairings within the teams should be done based on individual record up to that point though, which i think last weekend's didn't do.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Pairings were done quite interestingly. A coin was flipped, and the winner could choose to:

a) Pick first
b) Pick second (and by definition, third)

There was quite a lot of debate about whether it was better to pick first or second!

I don't think it matters particularly with regards to 3 or 4 players per team, though obviously you get all the corp factions represented with 4 players (but you have to double up Runners).
mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:53 pm

You don't have to double up runners - you insist that the 4th runner has to pick a minifaction.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:20 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:38 pm

mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't think Sunny or Adam are too appaling.
Seamus

Postby Seamus » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:40 am

Hi all!

So far we have registered:

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Stirling
Bristol
Reading/Oxford
London
Birmingham
Sheffield
Leeds
Huddersfield
Cardiff
Newcastle
Preston/Lancaster
Durham
Manchester

There remains a single spot remaining so if you'd like to enter a team be sure to email quickly.

There have been a couple of queries on price of entry and I'm pleased to announce that due to the support of those that attended the first Hadrian's Wall Tournament and the Edinburgh meta, the event is once again free for all participants.

We'll also be organising an evening gathering the night before the tournament for anyone arriving the day before.

We're very much looking forward to seeing you all in January. Bring warm clothes.
Rotage

Postby Rotage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:33 am

Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:22 pm

That said I think there might be some merit to the mini pods. It probably wouldn't be my first choice but one of the things I like at tournaments is talking to my opponent and having a chat with them during/before/after the game. I have begun quite a few casual acquaintances (at least) this way & it can be nice to breakaway slightly from the tendency to not engage with new people. At least for me.

That said I have not done a Team Tourney like the KOS, and if it were up to me I would certainly try it out on the next Intercity based on other people's feedback. I would be interested to hear how it might have been for those at the more shallow end of the talent pool. I would worry that were I sat next to (Insert pretty much any other Netrunner player here) and I played a longer game it would almost feel like they would backside drive me to loss or victory. And I'd be compelled to want to ask their advice etc. and it might feel less like a game I am playing & a lot like many co-op games out there.
The Praetor of Jank
Hamsack

Postby Hamsack » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Hay guys, I’m the chap who ran the UKTC event in Northampton :D (I’m not really good at the spelling end of life, so if you don’t get what I’m writing, just say)

Just to clear up how this started, there is a team of 4 of us in Northampton called Guardians of Tyr. It started out as 2 guys running Warmachine, 40K and X-wing tourneys.

These guys started to really build up rep for the X-wing events and decided to come up with a Team format for it (3 players a team, rep all the factions, Rebels, empire and scum).
Needless to say after a lot of hard work, they had a 32 team event which sold out in 2 days! It was mind blowing how awesome it was.

I then got approached by the guys and was asked if we could do something like this for netrunner.
I had a think and thought, well yeah we could AND I didn’t realize anyone was doing this style of team tourneys (this was way back in June).

So I followed the same format they did, (3 players all rep different factions, sit next to each other and collect prestige as a team). It sounded awesome!

I then hear that there is a Team event in worlds called KoS. i was like Oh wow, didn’t realize this was already happening somewhere else (Although I also was thinking this is not a surprise, as its quiet a simple format).
There is subtle differences in how they did theirs and how we did ours. They had 4 players instead of 3 and They did match ups for each team based on personal prestige.
Regardless, i continued to roll with the initial idea and it was a sellout event :)

Now here is what I learned.

3 players are fine. 4 is also fine.
I PERSONALY prefer 3. I would rather not force a mini faction on a team.
But yes with 3 you may not get the high end of Weyland players, but The meta swings in roundabouts all the time. Next year, Weyland will be in a different place.
You also have players that will just play weyland as they just simply like them :) (To note, second place team had Weyland)

Also I noticed that we did a team pick system. First both teams show what Id's they are using. Then a coin flip is used and the person who won the toss got to choose to pick the match ups first or second.
this had some debate on how this is fair. A lot of people thought picking first would give you an advantage, then I heard people saying that second is best. I did a bit of data digging and noticed that second picks only got 1 more win than a team picking 1st. So overall (in this particular event) not one sided.

I am looking at reviewing this and finding out a way to make it fairer. BUT I DID NOTICE SOMETHING IMPORTANT. A lot of feedback was given about it, and the team pick was very positive. it gave more of a team spirit, as the teams could discuss amongst themselves about what’s the best course of action. ALSO players then sat next to each other and talked to each other.
This I feel is the reason it was a success :)

We are planning on really increasing the size of the event!

PLEASE NOTE: and this is very important! We (Guardians of Tyr) really want to support everyone else’s events just as much as we want ours to be successful! So I know this is a debate on another team forum, but we really want theirs to be just as awesome! I would always show players in my community what’s happening around the UK. But luckily they are always looking any way :)

Hope this VERY LONG post was helpful. If anyone wants to speak to me about.... well anything netrunner related or events, I’m happy to do so :)

Hamish Chisholm-Brown (best catch me on Facebook)
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for posting, Hamish.

I think we're all still working out the best ways to run tournaments in general. I think it's good everyone is experimenting and trying different ways.
mendax

Postby mendax » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't think team pick works if you go to 4 players, fwiw.

KoS didn't force a minifaction, they just said that the repeat faction couldn't use the same ID.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 pm

This kind of pick your matchup format for team tournaments has been a popular one for a while in the UK Warmachine scene.
unitled

Postby unitled » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks for the post (and the support!) Hamish.

It's likely I'll be running the event with someone like Even Sor (I couldn't attend the qualifier tournament we had, and Seamus has naturally managed to squeeze his way onto the team; you may also know Even from EVERY LCG EVER CREATED). Most of the discussion of the format has been led by the rest of the organising team, I haven't been involved in a team tournament of any format.

After Alex mailed us earlier in the year we did have a lot of internal discussion about it and decided to stick to this format for a number of reasons. We're really open to other formats in the future, of course, wherever the winners end up!

Most of all we're really looking forward to getting a bunch of Netrunner players together up here. Hadrian's Wall was a great success (biggest fan tournament outside of Uroborus?), it's going to be good to build on that and hopefully meet more famous Netrunner faces!
"If all your ice is positional, none of your ice is positional" - Anon.
mendax

Postby mendax » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:30 pm

I think a lot of ANRPC finals weekends were bigger than the Hadrian's Wall event, fwiw.
unitled

Postby unitled » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:39 am

"If all your ice is positional, none of your ice is positional" - Anon.

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”