Tournament Software

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sixtyten
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tournament Software

Postby Sixtyten » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:03 am

Hello folks,

what are people using for tournament software at the moment. The version of ANR Tournament for pc I've been using doesn't appear to have been updated in months and I'm thinking of switching to NRTM on my phone. Is TOME freely available now or only if I ask nicely...
MOON MONEY!
Panda with issues...

Re: Tournament Software

Postby Panda with issues... » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I've been having a few similar issues. The last two tournaments I ran by hand or with Challonge. TOME keeps doing dumb stuff.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm sure how much in jest Pete was being, but he was talking about writing our own tournament software.

Pete? Paging Pete?
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:32 am

#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Johno

Postby Johno » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:35 am

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:27 am

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:54 am

So, I'd used NRTM on an ipad for a while before TOME was released, but was quite happy with it. Since the release of Data and Destiny, I don't think it had been updated and it wasn't letting me add the new identities. This was annoying, but the final straw was me struggling to work out how to add a new player with a bye manually into the tournament after I'd started round 1. I resorted to running the tournament by hand.

Strike one in our communal TOME experience was it trying to pair players who had already played in swiss.

Strike 2 was when it magicked Johno a win out of thin air at the Reading AGoT Kingslayer. At first I thought I'd just entered the results wrong, but everyone else's prestige points were correct...

Was reasonably happy with Challonge which I used for the constructed AGoT event. Downside of this is it uses a specific calculation for SoS which I'm not sure is the same as that expected for an FF event. - I couldn't care less in a normal GNK (the pairings strategy and SoS is the same for everyone), but in a Store Championship event or above I'd want to run it precisely according to FFG rules.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:09 am

This said, some very basic requirements (on top of things already discussed):

I really need to be able to set up a tournament and set it going, but still be able to add an extra player (or two) when they inevitably arrive late. I'd also want the functionality where I can chose what to assign those players in terms of a bye (whether 4 prestige points or fewer, considering I'm not generally massively happy with awarding 2 free wins, even at 0 SoS, for someone who arrives late).

Functionally this means I need a system where pre-entered players who have been randomly paired (by the software) for the first round can have new players added to this list where I can specify a particular opponent, without having to re-enter all the other pairings manually because the software decides it can't hack it, or the software cries and rerandomises the entirety of the first round. I'm not a programmer, but I really don't think this is too much to ask.

Right now, this appears to be the biggest issue with some of the current available software. Once started the tournament 'locks', and it's WAY too hard, to impossible to adjust things on the fly.
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:17 am

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:56 am

Nrtm worked fine until 2 players dropped and I couldn't remove them for round 5. Being able to upload to acoo and the stats were fun though.
MOON MONEY!
MouseChan

Postby MouseChan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Social Media guru for Netrunners.co.uk

Legenadry girl hacker with awesome hair

2x Bradford SC 1x Leeds SC winner
massisi

Postby massisi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:29 pm

I'd be interesting in looking at alternatives to SoS, it seems to me that SoS is the current standard because one can compute it by hand but if tournament software is becoming the norm maybe it's time to look at other algorithms like PageRank (to which SoS is an approximation)
Sometimes you just need a brain in a jar

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”