More Salt Please, The "Sky Is Falling" NAPD Most Wanted List thread

Johno

More Salt Please, The "Sky Is Falling" NAPD Most Wanted List thread

Postby Johno » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:00 pm

FFG has announced a restricted list for Netrunner. What are your thoughts?
Chimpster
Site Admin

Re: More Salt Please, The "Sky Is Falling" NAPD Most Wanted List thread

Postby Chimpster » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Huge hits to NBN FA and Noise. Be interesting to see how store champ season shakes out!
Nekader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nekader » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:17 pm

Mixed opinions.

Foremost, I'm glad that the restricted list took the form of additional influence, rather than straight banning the cards. This means that where the cards are crucial to a strategy, you can still make use of them. But it stops things like the SanSan Haarpsichord kill decks that had two bonkers powerful win conditions once it got rolling.

Second, initial comments were focusing on decks that got switched off through 'hate' bans. Specifically PPvP Kate and Fastro. HB gets weirdly hammered by this as well though, specifically food coats. No more Caprice psi games, just a straight tax, IF you want to include Elis and Architects. This goes for plenty of factions actually and is why I have no issue with Caprice not being on the list: do you want efficient ice or a chance to survive anything? Deck-building decisions are always a positive.

My main issue is the choice of cards. I've commented elsewhere that Datasucker is probably the only runner card that needed a restriction because that would switch off Yog and Parasite. I can see the argument for Clone Chip because it is ubiquitous in almost all anarchs as well as the ever-present PPvP Kate, but ultimately, anarchs already have to pay influence for it so it hurts them worse PLUS the low inf runners (poor Kit) and Kate will never not use any. Interestingly, makes Clot play more interesting for both sides: will it be an auto include now or will removing it basically pay for Kate the keep the clone chips for (almost) free? Maybe that's why they nerfed Prepaid as well?

Corp side seems more fair. Plenty of alternatives to ice and I think it is fair that Eli and Architect seem to be everywhere currently. There are lots of alternatives and it's going to be a more exciting game seeing some of the weirder combinations coming out.

Still not sure overall. Not sure if this is going to radically change the meta or just separate those who know their decks well from those (like myself) who just run fast everywhere.
Sincil Banks
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sincil Banks » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:10 pm

Just spent the entire summer honing my Kit deck, talk about a punch in the nads, it's not even as though it was ultra competitive...
mendax

Postby mendax » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:42 pm

Foodcoats will be fine - they'll switch to NEXT, which will be ok because there's a lot less parasite about.

I hope everyone's excited for a glorious meta dominated by ETF Glacier, RP Glacier and BS Glacier though. Because that's gonna be fun.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Seriously?
No rush or FA deck is going to be viable? I very much doubt that, and having spoken to a number of good players they believe with less Clot recursion NEH and similar decks are going to be fine.

There is a lot of sky is falling and salt, people need to see how things unfold. Some if the reactions I'm seeing in other places online are crazy.
mendax

Postby mendax » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Sync will be ok, but I fully expect the meta to be completely dominated by glaciers.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Yeah, I'm with Dave on this. I'm expecting a lot of FA.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:49 am

NEH FA comes out a big winner here. It just needs to reassess the ice suite. Crim with desperado sec testing and sucker got worse, as did PPVP Kate with clot, and those were the best counters.
Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:47 am

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:26 am

I absolutely agree that adding rules not on the cards is bad for the game.
cwoac

Postby cwoac » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:28 am

cwoac

Postby cwoac » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:33 am

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:40 am

Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:44 am

I don't have a problem with people thinking this new system is bad or having an opinion about the cards on the list. That's all normal and people like yourself Andrew who have well thought out and well written points are good for the discussion.

What I find pretty crazy is people who are saying the game has been broken or who are selling their collections because of it. It's totally unknown how the game will go or look in a months time.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15 am

mendax

Postby mendax » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:37 am

I mean, if you're going to run a restricted list then this isn't the worst way to do it, but I'm entirely unconvinced of the need for a restricted list and the idea of Damon playing whack-a-mole with the meta is quite frankly terrifying. I know he wants us all to play PE garbage and get rekt by Exploratory romp or w/e, but pushing this onto the meta is just a bit pathetic really.
massisi

Postby massisi » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 am

It isn't a restricted list per se though just modifying stats, if netrunner was a PC game then this would just be a balance update and no one would think the sky was falling so I think that overall this is good for the game but worse for the community since it adds an extra layer of complexity which would be absent if netrunner was a PC game.
Sometimes you just need a brain in a jar
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Will dance for Laurie Points
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Kesterer

Postby Kesterer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm not sure I agree with calling this an elegant solution; it seems to have a lot of collateral damage because of FFG's aversion to bans. PPVP is pretty mediocre outside of Kate, for example, but it gets restricted anyway? If they wanted to deal with Astrobiotics and PPVP Kate as decks, banning NEH and Kate would have been the cleanest ways to do so, and would have dealt with those IDs' dominance in their respective factions too. It all seems a bit ham-fisted to me.

Hearing about FFG's plans for continuing management would be good too. I just spent a couple of weeks' worth of free time testing and practicing decks for the competitive season - apparently that time was now wasted and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little narked. If there are going to be regular additions to the restricted list, then I want to know so I waste less time on this kind of thing in future.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 pm

My suspicion of the reasoning behind PPVP is that FFG belive the game design critically hinges on sustainable, long-term economy not being viable outside of significant MU investment or resources. I'm almost certain the PPVP economy package was was unintended and untested.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:39 am

MOON MONEY!
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:58 am

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”