Expo Regional

Chimpster
Site Admin

Expo Regional

Postby Chimpster » Tue May 31, 2016 2:16 pm

Really excited to be able to attend this one (especially as I didn't think I would be able to wrangle a Friday - half term to the rescue)!

I'm assuming you're pretty much all going given that the event looks like it'll be over 150 people.

What do you expect to see a lot of? What super secret decks are you testing? ;)
MartinP

Re: Expo Regional

Postby MartinP » Tue May 31, 2016 2:28 pm

So long as the number of IG decks remains low, I'm happy :) Luckily it seems that at other regionals most players aren't actually willing to play the deck at a competitive level (Or those that are, have the moniker Dark Lord already ;) )

Mostly I'm looking forward to beating last years record @ the expo (6w 8l) and catch up with those I've yet to see at Regionals :D
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Tue May 31, 2016 2:44 pm

I don't think IG will be at all prolific. I think you have to be a fairly serious competitive player to consider taking it, and to a large extent those players have discovered that a teched out Whizzard deck (which in theory is the strongest runner, and so is what those players will mostly be playing or expecting to see at the top end) has a pretty good win percentage against IG. Then you add in concerns about time, mental fatigue and negative player experiences and the whole prospect becomes pretty unappealing. That's borne out by the stats at the three regionals so far.

I'm expecting lots of NBN decks of all flavours, with a generous smattering of Palana and Argus on top. On the runner side I actually think we'll see an upswing in the number of Criminals and Shapers played, but the majority will still be Anarchs of all shapes and sizes.

My current testing is revolving around how to stay awake and play a potential 14 hours of Netrunner without devolving in to a dribbling imbecile. Results so far have not been positive.
Will dance for Laurie Points
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Tue May 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Nemamiah wrote:My current testing is revolving around how to stay awake and play a potential 14 hours of Netrunner without devolving in to a dribbling imbecile. Results so far have not been positive.

My current plan is to approach Jinteki about cloning myself, and therefore some version of "me" will be fresh for each round.

Yeah fatigue is a concern even when just considering the swiss. I don't anticipate making the cut at such a large event but if I do, it's going to be Hell :P
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Tue May 31, 2016 3:21 pm

If I just place high enough to win a alt art Same Old Thing, I'll be happy :P
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:10 am

Take solid decks you know how to play well, that will get you through Swiss easily and dramatically punish mistakes from a bunch of tired players in the cut.

Something spiky would really not be a bad call - I'd expect a ton of Yellow and Argus.
Last edited by Brendan on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Argus is the really interesting one, I think. It's the faddy and off-beat Corp deck at the moment (no disrespect intended; it's a very legitimate deck that could be well placed in the meta), but it's coming out of the perceived weakest faction and most people probably don't have much experience of playing with it. It's therefore really hard to predict how popular it will be.

And yeah, one of the standard pieces of advice I give people is to take decks that you know and trust, and believe in your skills as a player to get you through. It's far too easy to overthink the meta and end up playing something you're not confident with because you think it's the 'right' call.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:15 pm

Yeah, I'm curious as to how much Argus can repeat its success. The combination of Faust, rush and Scorch all work together to create a pretty nice niche for it in the meta, but it does struggle against plenty of decks.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:25 pm

What decks would you expect to struggle to out of interest?

Certainly I can see a decent Blackmail threat being a problem, and actually Siphon spam - if it can get Argus into the ground - might be a good answer. More generally a reasonably paced Shaper I can see being able to just absorb the Scorch threat and keep up.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 pm

GuyCliquil wrote:What decks would you expect to struggle to out of interest?

Certainly I can see a decent Blackmail threat being a problem, and actually Siphon spam - if it can get Argus into the ground - might be a good answer. More generally a reasonably paced Shaper I can see being able to just absorb the Scorch threat and keep up.

A lot of Argus decks play quite wide (of the ones I've seen) with minimal ice, so Crim definitely has scope to outmoney them. Film Critic shuts off the ID ability just as well as an employee strike, so decks slotting one of those won't go amiss. After that it's just respecting the Snare/DRTs that could/will turn up, and playing smart I guess?

(I've not actually taken a look at Seamus' Argus deck, so the above might be a load of rubbish, so pinch of salt with my advice)
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:00 am

GuyCliquil wrote:What decks would you expect to struggle to out of interest?

Rush plans usually want to put their first two pieces of ice on the remote and score agendas as soon as possible; ideally from turn 1 or 2. They really don't want to spend their early game icing centrals, and they're relying on you not being able to get through those early gear checks to let them score their money agendas. In addition, the Argus list generates a lot of bad publicity that they prefer you not to be able to use (the theory being that giving Faust players free credits doesn't actually matter).

Criminals are therefore strong against rush because Siphon, Inside Job and Emergency Shutdown (and to a lesser extent, Femme) are all naturally disruptive to their game plan of trying to score early and not protect centrals.

Shapers are also potentially good, because Self Modifying Code is a natural answer to early gear check ice, and of all the factions they're best placed to abuse the bad publicity.

That's why the meta call on Argus is such a knife edge; it's really strong against the dominant Anarch decks of the moment, but potentially weaker against the rest of the field.
shanodin

Postby shanodin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:39 am

There has been a LOT of Argus/Titan on jinteki.net recently. Palana also.
See you later, Space Cowboy.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am

Always going to be an element of that with it being deck of the week on NRDB. Expecting more Palana than usual, if only because it's got a more sensible Whizzard matchup and will do well against the resurgence of Crims (even with Po-op).

Expecting a large swathe of yellow of all varieties (including more Sol than usual) a smattering of ETF and a decent amount of Palana, Argus and Gagarin.

Should be interesting to see what variety comes out of the wood work though, who knows, could be something completely out of left field to win it (come on Tennin!).
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:33 pm

I nearly went with a core set Weyland, but bottled it last night. If I'd had another week of testing...

Some people are thinking IG because a lot of players haven't practiced against it and therefore they think it might do well, but actually the Whizzard match up favours the runner arguably (if they play properly and don't get flustered), so I'm not as sure on that.

There'll be a lot of yellow decks, NEH is still doing well and with three varieties (asset spam, fastro, kill) you've still got the advantage of your opponent not being sure what you're doing. Add in Sol and the odd SYNC, etc. and it's quite populace.

There'll be some HB, but it's not in the greatest of places, seems you're better off going Palana and having Caprice in faction! The Palana games largely come down to psi games (for both players).

Whizzard is still strong, Noise as well, although Variency (new word). Criminals look good against some of the yellow decks and if you've put in the plascrete (after murder NEH and Argus regional wins) you've probably not in a bad place. Geist looks good long game, but some corps are rushing out, so it depends if you get the right pieces early enough.

Green has a lot of game due to the answers for everything approach, but it's a matter of match ups and what you've selected in terms of Sac Con, Clot, Net Sheild, Fan Site, Deus X, etc. There's only so many silver bullets to go round and classic corp decks may edge benefit from teching against others.

Overall it'll be Anarach at the top, blue and green reasonably even?

Yellow is favourite on the corp side I reckon, then jinteki, HB, Weyland.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:06 am

Great games yesterday and really pleased with a Top16 finish!

Was surprised at how much Jinteki there was yesterday, especially Palana, definitely well represented!

Well done to the top 8, great achievement to do so well at such a huge event!
ihmcallister

Postby ihmcallister » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:34 pm

really enjoyed my time at the regional and pleased to come so high at 25th out of 124? people. Thanks to everyone I played, I'll be posting up a tournament report soon!
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:57 pm

ihmcallister wrote:really enjoyed my time at the regional and pleased to come so high at 25th out of 124? people. Thanks to everyone I played, I'll be posting up a tournament report soon!

120 people in the end if I recall, Well done on placing so well!

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”