ANRPC

MasterAir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ANRPC

Postby MasterAir » Thu May 14, 2015 10:33 am

I'm commandeering the first post for an outline of the current state of play:

Here's a website. I've linked up with the anrprocircuit.com

Current plan:
10-12 tournaments with ~£10 entry fee each to contribute ~£75 to a Grand Final prize pool.
Receiving applications until 31st May - then we'll organise when and where the qualifying tournaments are.

Grand Final as a weekend event with LCQ on Saturday 19th September and Grand Final on Sunday 20th September at Dark Sphere, London.

Let's do this!

----

Original First Post:

Hi all, Spags @ stimhack has been having some success with his ANR pro circuit.

It's a fan run supplement to FFG's OP.

The basic format is a series of 10-12 Open tournaments hosted at FLGS with approx the top 10% of players qualifying for a place in a Grand Finals. The format discussed is that every store that hosts an event contributes somewhere between £50 and £75 to a grand prize pool and we support the overall winner attending Worlds in sunny Minnesota in November.

I'm hesitant to volunteer, because I have a young family so don't know if I could commit to enough weekends. But would anyone want to join me in trying to organise a UK leg of the ANRPC? We have the advantage that Netrunner season in the UK finishes in a couple of weeks...

Can we think of a name ELI looks like it might be a good acronym. ELP?
Last edited by MasterAir on Tue May 19, 2015 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
king_mob
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ANRPC

Postby king_mob » Thu May 14, 2015 12:13 pm

In! Ill help mate in any way i can. Iv been down in the dumps after two disastrous regionals thinking it was going to be another whole year before id get another stab at competitive play, so im jumping up and down over this.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu May 14, 2015 12:45 pm

MOON MONEY!
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu May 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Schweeeeeeeeeeet!! wheres the goddamn like button when you need it.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu May 14, 2015 12:57 pm

MOON MONEY!
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu May 14, 2015 12:59 pm

UK something something is nice and punchy. If it were me i would dispell the bells and whistles and just go with UKPC (United Kingdom Pro Circuit).

@MasterAir - whats ELI stand for by the way? and ELP?
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu May 14, 2015 1:01 pm

[quote="king_mob"]UK something something is nice and punchy. If it were me i would dispell the bells and whistles and just go with UKPC (United Kingdom Pro Circuit).

Sounds good.
MOON MONEY!
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Thu May 14, 2015 2:02 pm

I liked the idea of using a card name for inspiration. Some of the circuits in the US are Great Lakes Circuit (GLC), Southern Megacity Circuit (SMC).

As this is the first I thought it would be quite nice to have an ELI 1.0. But can't think of anything good following England or English for the other 2 letters. I guess I'd also invite Cardiff and Swansea to host an event, maybe Edinburgh too. I doubt they'd be too happy with participating in anything English...

UKPC is pretty strong though. Unless someone can think of anything good we'll probably go with that. I'm not surprised Bristol are in. I'll look into costing the flights and accommodation to the US and see what sort of prize fund we need to generate.

Initial thoughts are we could almost certainly get tournaments at:
ReadOx, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, Bristol, Exeter, London (probably x2 maybe piggy back on Quinns' Loading Bar Tournaments subject to chatting with Quinns + Dark Sphere), York, Edinburgh, Worcester. I'm not sure what the player base thinks about £10 entry fee tournaments. I don't think it sounds too outrageous, especially if we can get some prize support other than the grand prize.

That's 11, I'm sure if we build it they will come for 2-3 more.

Of those places I know ReadOx, Birmingham and London fairly well.

I'm thinking of getting cheeky and writing to Virgin Atlantic and British Airways and inquiring about sponsorship... Maybe I should draft a website before I do that.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Thu May 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Unfortunately the only help I can offer is to turn up and play :P More Netrunning events and tournements in the netrunning community is certainly not a bad thing, though I'm almost looking forward to things calming down following the nationals (Blasphemy? Perhaps)
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu May 14, 2015 2:49 pm

I think this is the kind of thing that will get people excited enough to happily drop £10, and attend a few events at that. Wasnt there a whole thread on doing something in the gap between nats and worlds? I think this is an ideal fit.

Only tricky part i can see is getting additional prize support/funding additional prize support. Although the overall prize of getting to potentially attend worlds, i dunno personally i would cage fight a live panda for that.
Lemonbrick

Postby Lemonbrick » Thu May 14, 2015 2:54 pm

I love the idea of this , also having a small family it can be very difficult to attend events , so the more choice available the better. Due to the nationals being held at the UK Games Expo and the subsequent squeezing of the netrunner calendar has meant I only attended 1 store championship :cry: having more events would be great, Im sure there are others would would have preferred a more relaxed schedule to.

(I feel especially gutted as I have lots more time this summer and feel I can currently sitting on the best 2 decks I have made so far in my netrunner career with no events to bring them to coming up!)
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Thu May 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Thu May 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Thu May 14, 2015 3:49 pm

king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu May 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Laugh it up James, iv got a scorched earth with your name on it. I mean iv literally written your name on a copy of scorched earth, like some kind of nutter.
Kesterer

Postby Kesterer » Thu May 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Love the idea. A couple of comments:

-How would this fit in with whatever Cerberus and others were planning for later in the year? (Here, for those unaware: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=682)

-I'm not sold on "Pro Circuit", which is both technically untrue - sadly we can't make a living from Netrunner just yet - and likely to scare some people off with the aura of ultra-competition. Following the pattern of the others - SWC, GLC, etc - I think the three-letter UKC for United Kingdom Circuit would be just fine. I do love your idea of linking it to a Netrunner card, but short of the suggested London Library Circuit, which is a bit too specific, I can't come up with one.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu May 14, 2015 7:32 pm

MOON MONEY!
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Thu May 14, 2015 7:47 pm

tomdidiot

Postby tomdidiot » Thu May 14, 2015 10:18 pm

The Dark Sphere owner was talking about doing something like this. I'll go have a chat with him and see what he thinks. He's very happy with player run tournaments (I'm most likely going to end up running this thing, becasue he doesn't play netrunner, and is only vaguely aware of agendas and ICE)
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 am

If it gets traction I can see if Chimera Nottingham is interested. Largely Andy likes to give entrance fee back as store credit for participants but I'm happy to ask
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Fri May 15, 2015 7:48 am

I dont know 100% yet if using the term "pro" is all that bad. For me anyway taking part in something that defines itself apart from casual play is actually quite attractive. Although no one is really getting paid for it there is still the possibility of a monetary prize at the end, if it works out that its possible to send the winner to worlds. If not then yeah using the term pro is probably inaccurrate. Also i agree that it could turn people off wanting to compete, its complicated. Probably better not to use it.

Maybe UKCC - UK competitive circuit?

Bit of theorycrafting around the boring but neccessary stuff:

Its a bit of a sticky subject, elephant in the room almost, but i think its important if we are going to do this seriously that we talk about how we go about organising stuff like prize support and, basically, money. Regarding organising any money that may be involved, there are a few crowdsource type apps that could be good to use, i think wefundthis is the one im thinking of, that basically holds onto the money until a set goal or time has been reached. This way there is total transparency, everyone can see which stores actually put in and what the cash eventually goes on also as this is going to be player run it may be a bit safer than sticking stuff in someones bank account.

Also I think sponsorship could actually be quite lucrative (in terms of prize support), netrunner is getting more and more recognition, quins article in the guardian recently for example, it may be totally possible to get businesses outside of tabletop gaming to throw in. It may even be worth asking virgin if they would sponsor a cut rate flight or similar, as masterair suggested.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri May 15, 2015 9:23 am

I think Kesterer's point about not putting anyone off is really important. Netrunner is growing but it's still really small-fry. We can't afford to alienate anyone at all. Also, the netrunner community is awesome. A small but slightly niggly fear is that when the stakes rise people stretch the rules or start cheating to gain an edge. I don't think this is going to be the case. But I also don't want to be naive. I want to encourage serious but fair competition.

Regarding money, I was also being fairly naive, but I was going to email stores. Get a written agreement that they contribute £20-25 per player they send to the grand final and not worry too much about people being dishonest. I have found that if you treat people as reasonable human beings you aren't often disappointed. People who run shops which sell board games aren't primarily motivated by money! I don't expect to be swindled. I also don't want anyone who is running a tournament to be out of pocket.

My plan of action is as follows.
1) Work out when and where we can have a weekend event for last chance qualifier and grand finals. I'm torn between London and Birmingham for this, London is expensive but generally easy to get to. Birmingham is close to my house, but less easy to get to in general. If Dark Sphere want to host the grand finals this will probably make up my mind.
2) Email/communicate with anyone who runs tournaments around the country to try to set up 10-12 qualifiers.
3) Write a website detailing the events.
4) Cost the grand prize and printing of alt-art IDs to give as door prizes. Alt art IDs have the benefit that using alt-art IDs that aren't FFG official is legal even in FFG Organised Play and you don't get unnecessary tells when you access them from R&D. (Spags has some images. Go Spags!)
5) See if I can get any signed artwork from any of the Netrunner artists to give as prizes.
6) Register for a domain name to host the website.
7) Ask questions of my sanity

Is anyone here talented with graphic design so we can have a logo and a web banner?
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 am

lpoulter

Postby lpoulter » Fri May 15, 2015 10:39 am

Brighton is 100% behind this. We can host a leg and I personally am happy to help out in anyway. Let's makes this happen. Master Air like that list. Finally I think £10 is about right possibly even £15 (the price of a regional).
lpoulter

Postby lpoulter » Fri May 15, 2015 10:50 am

Can we make the top post of this thread contain a list of possible legs, confirmed/not confirmed? Which can be updated to show progress.

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”