Netrunner Charity Tournament - 7th November Southampton

sxk634
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Netrunner Charity Tournament - 7th November Southampton

Postby sxk634 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm arranging the Netrunner portion of a set of tournaments being held at Southampton University on 7th November.

It is a charity event, with all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK. Further details of the organisation can be found at Gaming vs Cancer - https://www.facebook.com/gamingvscancer and http://www.gamingvscancer.com/

Tournament format is to be 5 rounds of swiss followed by a cut to top-4 for double elimination rounds. Swiss rounds will be 65 minutes in length, and elimination rounds will be 35 minutes.

Registration opens at 10am, with the first round to commence at 10:30am. A full schedule will be available on the day.

Esdevium have given us a world first prize! 4 copies of both Hedge Fund and Sure Gamble signed by the game designers themselves - Damon Stone and Lukas Litzsinger. These will be given to the top-8 competitors on the day.

All participants will also be given one "run" to win a door prize, which will be a variety of Netrunner and cyberpunk themed prizes.

We are also including a bounties prize, where the player who successfully kills the most runners during the tournament will win a custom pair of Netrunner playmats.

Full prizing is as follows -

1st - Full set of Mumbad Cycle datapacks
2nd to 4th - Choice of £20 BoardGameGuru gift voucher, Wooden Jinteki RP ID, or Creation and Control Playmat
Top-8 Choice of Signed Sure Gamble or Hedge Fund (4 of each available)

Top Bounty Hunter (most kills) - pair of custom playmats

Participation prizes - a variety of alt-art cards (Femme Fatale, Plascrete Carapace, Aesop's Pawnshop, Reina Roja, Wyldside, HB: ETF, Chaos Theory, Pop-up Window), art card sleeves, and Steam keys for Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut. Beware you don't run into a Snare though!

Achievement prizes - Complete Netrunner achievements on the day to win a prize from a selection available on the day.

Tickets are £10, with pre-purchase of tickets necessary. A reduction of 50% will be granted if you wish to also donate to the prize pool for the event.

Tickets are now available at this site - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gaming-v ... 7306053873

Event page for the Netrunner tournament is here - https://www.facebook.com/events/445559952290470/

With the page for the whole day of tournaments here - https://www.facebook.com/gamingvscancer

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the event, and I will add to this once further details are set.

Steve.

PS - Should I seek to move this to a regional board? There isn't one currently for Southampton, but I'm happy to move this event there if one is setup. Unfortunately the board I have rights to is Birmingham, not really the right area!

Edit - Edited to update prize and structure information.
Last edited by sxk634 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Stephen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Netrunner Charity Tournament - 7th November Southampton

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:29 pm

sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Hilldan

Postby Hilldan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Tournament sounds a great idea, hopefully can bring a few of us from Portsmouth along :)
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:54 am

Tickets are now available at this site - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gaming-v ... 7306053873

Event page for the Netrunner tournament is here - https://www.facebook.com/events/445559952290470/

With the page for the whole day of tournaments here - https://www.facebook.com/gamingvscancer

Details are still being arranged, including the prize support. However Esdevium have already promised us a unique set of prizes, including an exclusive prize for all participants!
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 pm

I'm very excited to confirm that Esdevium have arranged for a world-first (and world-class) prize for the top-8 players on the day.

We have 4 copies each of Hedge Fund and Sure Gamble signed by the lead designers themselves - Damon Stone and Lukas Litzsinger.

We now have 20 tickets left for the day, so if you want a chance to win one of these unique cards don't leave it too late to book a ticket.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:23 pm

A few updates on the event -

Random IDs have been allocated and have been sent out.

I've worked on the assumption that Data and Destiny will be out by then (am confirming with Esdevium). It really should be, but I'm aware there have been release problems before.

I am including the NBN identities from D&D, but not the neutral runners. The rationale for that is I'm as yet unsure as to the viability of the neutral runners. They look fun, but maybe not competitive enough to force someone to use them for a full tournament.

All cards up to an including Data and Destiny will be allowed, again assuming that it is released in good time!

We have new prizes coming into the pool daily, the latest is 5 steam keys for Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut. Harebrained Schemes have been very generous in donating these great prizes, which will form part of the pool prize for all partcipants.

Which brings me onto the door prizes. For this I wanted to do something a little different to normal...

Thanks to the community we have a variety of prizes, but to get your prize you will have to attempt a run on our servers!

When you register at the beginning of the day you will get one run attempt, it will be your choice if you run my remotes, or one of my central servers. The agenda you access will determine the prize you win, with a mixture of alt-art cards, datapacks, steam pc keys, and a few surprises. But beware that you might just hit a snare...
mendax

Postby mendax » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:37 pm

The mini-faction runners are not the weakest IDs in the game, I think.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:06 pm

mendax

Postby mendax » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:16 pm

They're playable on Octgn - a bunch of us were playing them last night - and from early testing Apex seems ok, Sunny is a bit slow but kinda viable, and Adam seems the weakest of the three.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm

But I imagine you would hear more people upset to have drawn many of the standard IDs if they were looking from a purely competitive standpoint (except maybe Adam) because they have been, often, demonstrably beaten up and if they're looking for something different to play then the D&D stuff will at least be fairly fresh off the boat.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:38 am

I'm considering coming to this, and wanted to add my two cents that I think most people would be happy to try out the new D&D runners if they drew them. You don't sign up to a random IDs tournament and complain if you get a suboptimal ID.
New corp deck - 49 snares.
Swiftie

Postby Swiftie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 am

If you don't like my ID, just shake it off.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:09 am

elvortel

Postby elvortel » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 am

Sweet! Totally buying a ticket soon. :)

As an aside, as Worlds is happening that weekend, I heard someone suggest projecting the Worlds feed somewhere during the tournament. Might be a nice idea?
New corp deck - 49 snares.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 pm

sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:51 pm

We've just had images of the signed Sure Gambles and Hedge Funds provided by Alec Thorne, the esdevium OP coordinator.

sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:06 am

I've just received a donation package from Chaos Cards. This includes a beautiful Creation & Control playmat, along with several art card-sleeve packs. These will be added into the prizing for the event.

I would like to say a massive thank you to Chaos Cards for this donation.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:27 am

To All Participating Netrunners,

Obviously many of us are very excited about the imminent release of Data & Destiny. I was hence keen to include the IDs and cards from this new release in the tournament.

However the tournament is now drawing close, Data & Destiny has not yet been released, and an official release date has not been published.

For this reason I have to take a position regarding when the cutoff is to include Data & Destiny in the tournament.

Data & Destiny will only be included if it is released by Saturday 24th October. This will give every participant 2 weeks to come to terms with the new cards included in the expansion, and allow sufficient time for the expansion to be purchased (in case people need to use an online retailer).

I have already drawn new IDs for players whose IDs come from Data & Destiny. These will be emailed to the affected players on the 24th if necessary.

I apologise for this situation, I had anticipated that the expansion would have been available by now.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:36 pm

I have been informed that Data and Destiny should be available in the shops on the 27th. This is slightly after my proposed deadline, but I feel 11 days should be sufficient time for most of us to pick it up.

If it experiences any further delays however I will remove it from the tournament.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 am

Data and Destiny is in the shops, and will hence be included in the tournament.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:33 pm

Final prizing announcement -

We have had a huge amount of prizing donated by the fantastic Netrunner community, and figuring out how to best award it as prizes has been a challenge.

There are still some prizes currently left that do not fit quite the normal mold. These will be combined with any other prizing left from the door prizes and all of this will be up for grabs if any players hit certain in-game achievements.

Each player will receive a printed copy of the achievement list upon registration.

All you need to do on the day if you score an achievement is get your opponent to sign to validate, and bring your sheet when you register your match results.

Every time you complete an achievement for the first time, you will be able to select one prize from those available.

A full list of prizes will be on display once registration is complete for all players.

** Idea and achievement list taken from cd8dman on boardgamegeek
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:00 am

Sam, the event coordinator, published the following on the main Gaming vs Cancer event page, it should have all the details attendees need, but if there is something you are unsure on just let me know -

We are now less than a week away from Gaming vs. Cancer 2015 so we've put together a small attendee guide to help you plan your day and ease any stress on the day.

This years event is taking place at the new location of the Garden Suite at Southampton University's Highfield campus on University Road. The Garden Suite is within the Universities hospitality building adjacent to the student union and opposite the Hartley Library.

There is free parking at weekends in the car park on University Road. Those of you arriving via bus can use the Unilink bus service which offers a £3.50 all day ticket and collects from all around Southampton City centre. Full details available at http://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/
The doors to the event will be open from 9:30am. If you have already purchased your ticket all you need to do on the day is arrive and check in, all we need is your name. If your ordered any merchandise with your ticket that will also be available to collect as you check in.

The tournament themselves have varying start times as noted below

Heroclix - Registration 10:00 - 11:15. First round begins at 11:30
Android: Netrunner - Registration 10:00. First round begins at 10:30
Magic The Gathering - Registration 09:30 - 10:00. First round begins at 10:30
If you are delayed in your arrival for any reason then please get in contact with us via Facebook and we will try to accommodate you where possible and at the judges discretion.

The university has a strict no food policy within the suite itself but you may bring in bottled water or soft drinks. There are some open air areas for eating outside if the weather is good to us.

There are some options nearby for food during the day. The Hartley Library Cafe will be open serving drinks and snacks. There is also a Costa and Co-Op on Burgess Road less than five minutes walk from the event. You can also make the short bus journey into Portswood for other options.

We have some limited quantities of poker chips and stickers available on the day priced at £1.50 and 50p each respectively. These will be available at the registration desk.

Our friends at Board Game Extras will be present on the day selling a selection of games and accessories. They are kindly donating 10% of all sales on the day to Gaming vs. Cancer and if there is anything from their website you would like you can order via http://boardgameextras.co.uk/ and choose Collect at Gameday from their checkout to have it bought to the event. Any advance orders made in this way will also have 10% passed on to our final total.

We also have a similar offer to the above being made by Blue Rat Games. Any purchases made online before Thursday can be arranged to be delivered to the event to guarantee getting your stuff in time for the tournament.

There are plenty of raffles and all-pay auctions going on on the day so be sure to bring a little extra spending money if you fancy your chances. We have an auction for a Wooded Foothills expedition from Battle For Zendikar, a White Rabbit ultra chase from Trinity War and, easily, the biggest Heroclix raffle in the country if not the world.

We also have a sealed copy of the popular party game Two Rooms and a Boom to give away. We are hoping to hold a large game of this on the day with the copy going to one random member of the winning team but due to timings and logistics we will be arranging this on the day.

Hopefully we have answered any of your questions here, if not please feel free to get in contact with us at any point this week to get answers to your questions. The judges and TOs of each tournament will likely be posting information and clarifications for their events via the Facebook event pages this week so please do keep an eye open there for any relevant information coming up.

Most importantly of all please have fun. An awful lot of work goes into making this event happen, we like to encourage a competitive but fun atmosphere and more than anything else we want to smash the total raised last year.

Thanks and see you all in just a few days time.

Sam

http://www.gamingvscancer.com/2015/10/a ... uide-2015/

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”