Bring the Noise

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
evilgaz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bring the Noise

Postby evilgaz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 am

I’ve played Noise since (before) the first UK Nationals, back when he was pants. There was a rise of fortunes as more cards came out that helped, Cache, the Shards, Faust, Clot even. Recently there’s been a bit of a fall from grace after a period in the sun. I think partly this has happened as a consequence of people fighting the Clot (particularly in Kate) rather than it being in particular response to Noise, although it certainly helps.

One of the big weapons in the arsenal was Imp. What a badass. All those SanSan and DBS plays were cheap as chips to play, and don’t get me started on destroying Biotics and the like. CVS has rendered our little hero mildly impotent. Multiple CVS (at least two, often three in NEH) mean frequently he is denuded before he gets a single kill and often just before access. With the release of Team Sponsorship, even assets that trash (or ICE that is milled) can come back to life and so that avenue of control is somewhat neutered.

Of course, conventional wisdom if to hit R&D to defeat NEH, but with a lack of solid breaker options at time, even minimal ICE (notably Architect) can make getting in there often and reliably a challenge. Medium is a card. CVS hates it too, like all the other viruses. Still seems the strongest play though – should we lean more towards some cards to help with R&D? Would Keyhole even be a viable option?

Breaking News is a bugger. Add in Snatch and Grab (in other decks) and Aesop’s can barely keep his workshop open. It now seems required to carry a spare one in hand, just to be on the safe side! But even more worrying is the rise of Butcher Shop type decks. Landing tags on Noise isn’t hard and his defences are weak. I’ve Had Worse can give you breathing room but is a 50/50 option in most cases. So now we need at least one Plascrete too? An option would be to ditch the Wyldside / Chronotype combo and go Inject / I’ve Had Worse – at least then you’ve got IHW as card draw if the kill isn’t on. However, feeding Faust without Wyldside is not a happy place.

The danger from Yellow seems strong at Worlds, at yet if Kate is going to run supreme, is there still a chance for underdog Noise? Here’s a latest couple of builds. Hacktivist can slow down the proliferation of corporate resources. One Plascrete with Utopia and Imp provides an acceptable level of Scorch protection. Gorman could be Hades, but I like the mill + economy boost. Low ICE in NEH decks reduce the need for three Clone Chips, whereas getting and keeping Aesops is more crucial. One Clot and two Clone Chips isn’t ideal, but something’s got to give and that’s not your primary goal, it’s a nice-to-have.

What are the thoughts of the assembled Hivemind on battling NEH and the challenges of Noise faced with a D&D Worlds?

Latest Noise

(Core Set)

Event (5)
3x (Core Set)
2x (Breaker Bay)

Hardware (4)
2x (Creation and Control) ••••
1x (Core Set)
1x (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (14)
2x (The Valley)
3x (Core Set) ••••• •
3x (Creation and Control)
2x (The Underway)
1x (All That Remains)
3x (Core Set)

Icebreaker (4)
1x (Core Set)
2x (The Underway)
1x (Core Set)

Program (18)
3x (The Spaces Between) •••
1x (The Valley)
2x (The Spaces Between)
3x (Core Set)
1x (Opening Moves)
3x (What Lies Ahead)
2x (Core Set)
3x (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

I’ve Had Wurst – No pancakes, extra FA hate

(Core Set)

Event (11)
3x (Core Set)
2x (Breaker Bay)
3x (Order and Chaos)
3x (Up and Over)

Hardware (5)
3x (Creation and Control) ••••• •
1x (Core Set)
1x (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (6)
3x (Core Set) ••••• •
3x (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (4)
1x (Core Set)
2x (The Underway)
1x (Core Set)

Program (19)
3x (The Spaces Between) •••
3x (The Valley)
2x (The Spaces Between)
3x (Core Set)
3x (What Lies Ahead)
2x (Core Set)
3x (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway
Vapo

Re: Bring the Noise

Postby Vapo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:10 pm

I've been back on Noise for a while now, and recent testing has suggested that against Fastro you're probably better off going for a control game than trying to R&D dig. CVS makes medium really sad, and their ice can be awkward for the sort of repeated runs it requires, especially when you have to split your clone chips between Parasites and Clots. Just keep checking remotes, trash any CVS you find, kill DBS and turtlebacks with fire but ignore TS/PAD/SanSan and keep the clot threat active at all times, and as often as not you can keep the game going long enough that the win just falls into archives, or R&D ends up so dense that a single turn of mediuming will end it. If you can force a CVS use by dropping an imp you're well up on that exchange, keeping those on the board is their only way to beat clot so forcing fires is huge. I've been running the very minimal econ version but I think at this point I want to slot some Casts back in, because DBS and Turtlebacks need to die whether you have imp out or not, and right now they can be a bit too costly sometimes. Also, sack off that overcosted Grimoire and slot the Turntable! most NEH are running 4 1 pointers now, being able to swap those for Astros is HUGE (especially if it's that goddamn 15 minutes!) This is the next version I intend to test (-1 medium -1 corroder -1 mimic from last version - I was rarely installing any of them)

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (3)
3x Déjà Vu

Hardware (5)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
2x Turntable

Resource (14)
2x Adjusted Chronotype
3x Aesop's Pawnshop ••••• •
3x Daily Casts
3x Street Peddler
3x Wyldside

Icebreaker (3)
2x Faust
1x Mimic

Program (20)
3x Cache •••
2x Clot
2x D4v1d
3x Datasucker
3x Imp
3x Lamprey
1x Medium
3x Parasite

NBN kill is another matter, with the variety of different ways they can kill you now the old 'imp the midseasons' plan is looking a bit shaky. Maybe just leave the plascrete slotting to Kate and hope the fact she's started armouring up again will keep the numbers of kill decks under control? It's that or slot a couple yourself, which I'm loathe to do but might be necessary. Probably -1 casts -1 lamprey from the list above. Maybe even -1 deja vu rather than casts, with barely any glacier around you probably don't need to recycle stuff as much any more.

Edit: just noticed the lack of lamprey in both your lists above. That feels like a big mistake. Most NEH lists are running on pathetically low numbers of ice now, and you want a way to cheaply punish them leaving HQ open or at the very least force another ice rez. Sansan/biotic + CVS is a VERY expensive way to score agendas, giving them another server they need to defend can make it a lot tougher for them to get the money together. I know the old argument is that Imp is enough HQ pressure for noise, but I don't think that's true any more, and you have better things to be doing with your imp counters anyway.

Edit 2: Also, if there was ever a time to go down to 2 clone chips (there wasn't, shards can do one) this is not it. Clot is king.
Last edited by Vapo on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Massively agree with Vapo here. Turntable is insane when people are running 1 pointers all over the place, and 2xClot, 1x Medium over the old 1x Clot, 2x Medium is probably right.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Ah the warm embrace of aggressive Noise players.

I wasn't getting the value out of Lamprey when I had two so dropped one. Obviously I should have added more.

I'll try some of the suggestions and see how I get on!

Cheers!
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm not much of a Noise player, but I can talk about turntable a lot. I've done a lot of testing with it in Quetzal and its done some serious work! You be shocked at how often it's game changing to swap an agenda.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:24 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Alright, funk it, I'll try Turntable you crazy guys!
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Gary....wait a minute....thats....thats....holy jeebus is that INJECT IN A NOISE LIST!?!??!
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”