World's 2015 Predictions

Panda with issues...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: World's 2015 Predictions

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 am

Cerberus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cerberus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:23 am

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:43 am

So!

In retrospect, DLR Val had completely slipped under my radar - though there was still an awful lot of Kate. In the end EtF was the star of the show, though NEH had a good crack at it.

Dave had the only Criminal runner in the top 16. This not only speaks to his strength as a player, but the weakness of the faction right now. I've been on a little tour of Criminal identities lately, and it seems rough for them - though Andromeda with a very efficient stealth/sucker/multithreader rig can probably still sit on top of the corp all the way through.

Security Testing remains either amazing or terrible, and that's a worrying place for the faction's economy to be. Combined with lack of card draw, breakers, recursion, anti-FA play and R&D pressure, with a bunch of tricks that heavily rely on economy denial while corps are hugely rich, it's no wonder they're in a bad place in the meta, though for many decks I still think they're unbearably strong. It will be tough for FFG to fix this, and if they do it will be via Geist.

Post Worlds? The All-Seeing I is one influence. I think this card will see more play than it currently is.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am

Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:18 am

Freelancer will make quite a resurgence too I think if Wireless DLR continues to grow
unitled

Postby unitled » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:28 pm

"If all your ice is positional, none of your ice is positional" - Anon.
Kesterer

Postby Kesterer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:28 pm

I was really surprised not to see Haarp 24/7 kill in the top 16; that deck seemed a monster when we tested it. I wonder if few people brought it because they were worried about being it teched against, or if people did bring it and it just isn't as good as I thought? I'd be interested to see the ID breakdown for Swiss.

DLR seems to have been a good meta call from Dan and others who played it: they correctly predicted that Kate would keep Astrobiotics out of the meta enough, and slower decks in (still shocked at 11 Etf in top 16. ELEVEN!). Meta feels a bit paper-scissors-stone right now. Kate beats Astrobiotics and is favoured versus most other decks - but loses to Haarp 24/7 without specifically teching for it, and is a bit less than 50/50 vs EtF glacier; DLR has good matchups against glacier and 24/7 but loses to Astrobiotics and HB rush. Everyone brought EtF to deal with Kate, so DLR won out. (I think Noise is an inferior DLR at this point: it's better than he is for all his good matchups and his bad matchups are just as bad.)

If you do want a silver bullet against the DLR deck, Corporate Town absolutely wrecks it. But it's hard to see how to run that effectively in a deck that isn't Weyland, and we all know that Weyland has problems.
Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:32 pm

GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:37 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:52 pm

There aren't really rules of thumb. You're right there's a rush element involved, just like there is versus Noise. But the Runner also needs to exert economic pressure, so dropping economic assets into remotes can also bait out Blackmail or runs (allowing ice to be rezzed). Pressuring the runner on either of those fronts is pretty key.

It's not easy, but it wouldn't be a good deck if it were. Remarks that it's non-interactive strike me rather like remarks that Noise decks are non-interactive. Which is only the case if the corp puts no pressure on the Noise player to do anything. Otherwise, both in the DLR and Noise games, the game becomes very interesting and very non-standard.
Kesterer

Postby Kesterer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Ortho

Postby Ortho » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:52 pm

mendax

Postby mendax » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 am

Bootcamp Glacier with Corp Town is favoured vs Val, though I think the top example was one of the many on 11 - 5 because it still struggles a bit vs Kate.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:03 am

Well my guesses were completely wrong: though Noah went top 4 with Kate and RP...

Whizzard was the most surprising/best performing runner. Timmy is a deckbuilding machine!

Probably the biggest surprise during the week was the strength of foodcoats. Many people had written it off, but it's power is obvious.

Haarp kill is the kind of deck that a midrange player will do well with, but a top tier player will stop from winning unless the 4 card combo happens. We were all terrified by it before saturday. By then, people had switched to other corps.

A PE deck just missed top 16, probably wins the most surprising corp section.
MOON MONEY!
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 am

Will dance for Laurie Points
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Lukas L said on two separate occasions that the answer to WNP was Corporate Town, although how a high-influence, agenda-sacrificing asset that can be trashed is an answer to a neutral resource that won't be in a lot of decks, I don't know.

I tested The All-seeing Eye and regretted not having something like it in my deck when it came to the finals, even Freelancer, but I can't tell you what effect it would have had on my deck to not have another good all-round card during the elimination rounds, as it could mean I wouldn't have even qualified.

Dan D'Argenio reckons Freelancer is the answer, and he knows the DLR matchup best in my estimation.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Freelancer is certainly superior to All-Seeing Eye against Val.

Corporate Town is fantastic or awful, which also sums up 90% of Weyland cards for me right now.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:18 pm

lpoulter

Postby lpoulter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Return to “Netrunner Discussion”