Gold Rush Mafia - Town Win

Chimpster
Site Admin

Re: Gold Rush Mafia - Town Win

Postby Chimpster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Tim the Enchanter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tim the Enchanter » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:28 pm

So who knew where the gold seam was at the start?
Smashman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Smashman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:35 pm

just_rob

Postby just_rob » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Well played town!

That was a very fun gane from the mafia side too. The flavour and unknown element deffinately added to the tension.

And well done chimp! Pulling at my thread certainly unravelled the whole thing fast!

Nem-thanks for running this. It was a blast and I'd love to play it again.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Joey

Postby Joey » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:00 pm

private spectator thread was a great idea! Definitely made being killed better :)
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:18 pm

The spectator thread is here:

http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/Ctag2LkxuLXz

The Mafia thread is here:

http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/ZHE7VHqT335

I'll do a full write up when I can, which will be either tomorrow or tonight. If you have any questions in the meantime, please shout
Will dance for Laurie Points
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:42 pm

About time the town won! Interesting game.

Also, while I'm sure that they would have homed in on me anyway, and I'm not mad about losing, I confess to being a little miffed at being so screwed by flavour in the last day. While the flavour has been very well written and interesting, I think it did make it hard for the Mafia to blend in.

Still, fun game, thanks for running Nem!
New corp deck - 49 snares.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:11 pm

The flavour wouldn't have made a difference I don't think mate. Johno Tim and I had pretty much all correborated each other at that stage and we already knew you had a non town role. It was a very straight forward choice at that point.
mendax

Postby mendax » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Everyone was very, very close to losing night 1.

I thought that the gold condition was part of my role as prospector, not a general town thing.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:01 pm

As Nem stated on the spectator thread, the first 2 days went about as badly as was humanly possible for the town. Things were pretty bleak there for a while!

I think not killing me was a huge mistake for the mafia tbh, certainly the town wouldn't have moved onto just rob if I had been dead and buried. Was very very surprised!
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:45 pm

We did try! We mostly assumed that you would be protected by a doctor. But apparently there wasn't one?
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 pm

I think Sixtyten pulled a blinder and locked up the player you had elected to do the murder.

Glad I didn't investigate Martin though, that would have made me the most useless investigator ever if he came back clean! Would have been a nightmare!
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Yep - I thought that Elvortel needed to stay alive to stop mafia winning until the last day. It was right to jail him whatever. I couldn't jail the same person twice in a row so Elvortel killed me in the last night.

I really wasn't sure on Tim the whole game - sorry dude.
MOON MONEY!
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks to Chris for running.

The double deputy thing was inspired and horrible.
MOON MONEY!
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:18 am

Yeah, this was a hard game. Giving the town a shared piece of information in the weird win condition definitely added to the difficulty. Still, we clearly had a shot, and I still got away with it for awhile, so no hard feelings. :)

Is there appetite for another one? I have something in mind.
Tim the Enchanter

Postby Tim the Enchanter » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:29 am

Yeah i'm in. I really enjoyed this one (well, once we hit Rob, until then it had me mired in despair)
unitled

Re: Gold Rush Mafia - Twilight Day 5

Postby unitled » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:44 am

"If all your ice is positional, none of your ice is positional" - Anon.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:49 am

No hard feelings from me re: the difficulty, the townies nearly ran away with themselves which was good to see :twisted:

The gold was a really cool mechanic to give the Vanilla players something to do (If we had any truely vanilla players) with their night actions to add to the tension from their side.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:58 am

The action log

Night 0
Mendax learns the location of the gold seam

Day 1
Mendax is lynched.
Unitled learns the location of the gold seam (Gravedigger)

Night 1
Tim the Enchanter watches DoubleAitch
Unitled tells Tim the Enchanter where the gold seam is
Just_Rob drugs Sixtyten
DoubleAitch jails Elvortel
Chimpster investigates Cwoac, Miller power triggers and returns as Guilty
Just_Rob kills Doubleatich
Smashman kills Unitled

Day 2
Cwoac is lynched

Night 2
Tim the Enchanter watches Joey
Tim the Enchanter tells Johno where the gold seam is
Just_Rob drugs Chimpster
Chimpster investigates Joey (blocked)
Elvortel kills Joey
Sixtyten becomes the Jailer (Deputy)

Day 3
Just_Rob is lynched

Night 3
Tim the Enchanter watches Smashman
Tim the Enchanter tells Chimpster where the gold seam is
Johno tells Chimpster where the gold seam is
Sixtyten jails Evortel
Chimpster investigates Smashman (returns neutral)
Elvortel kills Chimpster (blocked)

Day 4
MartinP is lynched
Smashmah survives until the end of day 4, wins the game and leaves the town

Night 4
Tim the Enchanter watches Johno
Sixtyten jails Johno
Chimpster investigates Sixtyten (returns town)
Elvortel kills Sixtyten

Day 5
Elvortel is lynched
All factions are eliminated, surviving town players all know the location of the gold seam. Town win.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 am

Further thoughts, spewed at random

* The gold seam as a mechanic was intended to do two things; act as a further balancing factor and give more people an interesting night action and decision to make. For those not in the know, Mendax started with the knowledge. Anyone who knew where the gold was could tell another player each night, who would then get the same choice from that point forwards. Unitled, as the gravedigger, automatically learned of the gold as soon as someone else who knew was killed. This was primarily a contingency built in in case the town mistakenly lynched the prospector in day one. The mafia would find the gold if they night killed someone who knew about the gold, or if a town member mistakenly trusted one of them with the information at night.

In theory, if the town are winning then lots of surviving people will know where the gold is (because the information will have spread relatively quickly), which will also make it easier for the mafia to find it. On the flip side, if the town are doing badly then the information will probably only be held by a couple of people, which in turn would make it harder for the mafia. I thought that they might need to make a sub optimal night kill choice or even choose not to kill someone altogether depending on how this worked out, and this did happen. On night 2 the mafia killed Joey primarily because he was their leading candidate for knowing where the gold was.

* This was a LOT of work. Before the game began I committed in my head to writing a full flavour post for every role PM, night action, end of day and start of day. I almost regretted this over Christmas, but I'm glad I did it in the end. For the curious, my combined notes and flavour quotes eventually ran to almost 15,000 words. Assuming people are positive, I'd like to run more of these 'narratively rich' games, but each one takes quite a lot of work to prepare, let alone run, so they won't be that frequent!

* The game was nearly up after one day. Mendax and Unitled had both been killed by the end of night 1, and had Unitled chosen to confide in Doubleaitch instead of Unitled then every town person who knew or could have known about the gold would have been dead. When writing this I decided that the possibility of this happening was so remote that it wasn't worth worrying about unduly.

* Some of my role comparisons were completely off, I'm afraid. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused. :D

* I'd be really interested in any feedback that you guys have. If I were to run something similar in the future, would you want to play again? What bits did you enjoy, and what bits made you curse my name and google how to make voodoo dolls? Would you want something wackier, simpler, more complex, easier.....etc. Is there any particular theme that you'd like to play? Given how long they take to write, I'd like to get started sooner rather than later.

* Finally, thanks to everyone for playing and buying in. I've not run anything quite like this before so I'm aware it wasn't a completely smooth experience, but it was fun to write, read and follow. That's down to you guys as players, so cheers.
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:34 am

Thanks for the notes. Very interesting.

I guessed after the role PM that one person knew the location of the seam and needed to spread it carefully. I'm assuming that was also the reason for the existence of my role, since I could prove that I was town-aligned and prove myself a trustworthy recipient. I was tempted to come out on Day 1 and use it, but thought that would make me an obvious target to be killed. Since I had no night power, I could have submitted myself to be jailed every night for the rest of the game? :P

It also didn't occur to me that if I was killed after getting the information I would give it up to the mafia though, so I'm glad I didn't use it.

I bet it would have had some nice flavour too though (since I could prove my innocence by appealing to God to prove me righteous), so I'm sorry we missed out on that one ;)
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:44 am

MOON MONEY!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”