Computer games - What are you playing?

Lord_Reynardine
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Computer games - What are you playing?

Postby Lord_Reynardine » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:46 am

Find me elsewhere: , , .
unitled
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby unitled » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:20 am

So... I finally started playing Dark Souls! No, not the new one, I'm talking the original Dark Souls. I bought it YEARS ago on PC and bounced off it pretty hard as I just didn't understand it. Doing pretty well now, though, just beat the Capra Demon (his dogs can seriously get tae), working my way down into the Depths now.

Any particular hints for me? Sure there must be some Souls Fanatics here, they are everywhere.
"If all your ice is positional, none of your ice is positional" - Anon.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:27 am

The biggest Souls tip is that you should learn to parry. It's really fiddly to do and if you get it wrong then you inevitably get minced, but it's also the best way to actually beat bad guys if you can do it reliably. If you can't parry then use a tower shield; the downside no longer applies to you!

What item did you take at character generation? If you took the Skeleton Key you get a chance to bump off Havel early and steal his magic ring, which is incredibly useful.

Blight town (which is where I think you're headed next, after the depths) is incredibly annoying. Make sure you have plenty of anti poison stuff.

Never forge crystal weapons, they're terrible.
Will dance for Laurie Points
unitled

Postby unitled » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:34 am

I think I took the ring which gives health at the beginning?

I accidentally ran into Havel while looking for the Depths, he flattened me in about two hits with the massive banana thing he was wielding. I've also tried parrying and am completely hopeless at it... Is there a good place to practice? Maybe on the Hollows near the Firelink Shrine?

I was probably going to try Blighttown next, though I've heard it's worth hitting the Asylum again as there is some poison resist stuff? I have a pocket full of moss from the Darkroot Garden as well.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 am

Always take the skeleton key. You stumble in to areas that you're not meant to be in, die a lot, and then find some exciting overpowered items. :D

I'm useless at parrying, so I'm a devotee of the tower shield/great axe weapon combo. If you want to practice, the first few parts of Undead Parish are pretty good. There's a bunch of low damage skellygogs near a bonfire that you can endlessly duel with.

You basically can't parry Havel, and if he hits you once (twice, if it's his weaker attack and you have decent armour/health) you pretty much die. On the other hand, his attacks are relatively slow, fairly well telegraphed and quite predictable, so you should have time to jump out of the way of his swings then dart back in and stab him a bit. It took me about six attempts to kill him, but the reward you get is really valuable (gives you a ton more carrying capacity) for a long time.

In a similar note, there's a hidden bit in the Garden that contains a very powerful item (the Wolf Ring) that increases your Poise. I had to fall down a chasm to get it (stupid glowing user messages), but there's a way in past an illusory tree that doesn't require you to have so much faith in other people.

Going back to the asylum is worth it, but watch out for the boss that lives under the floor where you fought the first Asylum Demon. He's not cool.
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:55 am

I never learned to parry. Heavy armour and shielded my way through the whole thing.

Currently on Dark Souls III and having a whale of a time.
New corp deck - 49 snares.
unitled

Postby unitled » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Ah ha, the Wolf ring increases poise right? I have that, accidentally found the tree while I was running away from the tree monsters.

I'll have a bash at Havel again, then, I'm current rocking Elite Knight armour and a +5 battleaxe. Last time each hit was just doing piddley amounts of damage! Is he weak to something in particular? I guess he's at least close to a bonfire!
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Yeah, he's vulnerable to being very gradually worn down by multiple piddling little hits, before he swipes you with a single blow and ends your puny resistance.

You find his armour at a later stage. It's ridiculous on every level.

Poise is one of those annoying Dark Souls stats that is never explained, highlighted or even mentioned, doesn't seem to do anything, and is yet incredibly important. It basically means that you don't fall over when someone hits you.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:39 am

I've been playing Offworld Trading Company a ton lately. It's about to be properly released out of early-access. If you like thoughtful realtime strategy, and the idea of buying-high, selling-low on Mars appeals to, it's a great game. But it's pretty niche!
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 pm

MOON MONEY!
unitled

Postby unitled » Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 am

Managed to finally off Ornstein and Smough last night! About an hour of bashing against them, finally managed to kill them both and literally punched the air in triumph. Poor Solaire bought it in the fight, though...

Onto the Catacombs next!
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 am

Yeah, they're simultaneously my favourite and most hated boss in the game. It took me ages to get past them.
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 am

I tried them once and immediately went 'fuck soloing these two' and brought Solaire in. Got them that time though.

Currently failing to kill a giant in Dark Souls III.
New corp deck - 49 snares.
unitled

Postby unitled » Wed May 11, 2016 9:39 am

Has anyone picked up Stellaris? Grand strategy space game, from Paradox (the Crusader Kings/Europa Universalis developers/publishers). I've got it, been playing a load over the last couple of nights, really enjoying it! Would be cool to set up a netrunners.co.uk multiplayer game if anyone else has it.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Wed May 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Would have bought it in a heartbeat if not for the fact that I have 0 time to dedicate to games atm. Will probably pick it up during a sale in the summer when my life is less hectic! :p
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed May 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Steam Sales are great for letting me build a library of games that I'll never find time to play :oops: I've currently moved off of playing Fallout 4 and Xcom 1, and my friend's given me a download code for Quantum Break that i'm not sure my PC will run...

When I find some time I guess I'll give it a try
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Tue May 17, 2016 11:42 am

Dark Souls is the best game ever made. A mate is currently playing through it for the first time and we ring each other on speaker phone and run around bashing stuff. Superb fun.

Dark Souls 3 is great in all kinds of ways, but doesn't quite pip the first for me. Obviously no one thinks 2 is best because that's just wrong. There's too much mystery been removed to make it more accessible for noobs. Although I suspect that this is also due to me just knowing what to expect/how the mechanics work. The PvP is brilliant though. I don't think anything else touches it. Last night I was running around the cathedral in NG+ with a phantom helping me out. At some point I was invaded and we were surveying the inside of the cathedral to find this guy. Couldn't see him, carried on, kind of forgot about him. Couple of minutes later we were riding a lift up and he jumped down the lift shaft to plunging attack us both. He missed, we smashed him to bits. Many chortles ensued.
Lord_Reynardine

Postby Lord_Reynardine » Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm a bit swamped all of a sudden. Have borrowed half of Sixtyten's PS3 collection (including the first Dark Souls), and my PC is finally working so I've all the steam sale items I've bought in the meantime to catch up on. Started Invisible Inc and enjoying it so far.
Find me elsewhere: , , .

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”