Hijinks at Hogwarts - Gryffindors Win!

Nemamiah
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hijinks at Hogwarts - Gryffindors Win!

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 am

The Set-up

1. The game takes place during a single day at Hogwarts, and is divided in to classes. Each class will have three phases: the lesson, the bell, and the corridors.
2. During the lesson players may communicate in thread. You may not communicate using any other method (either online or in person) during this phase.
3. In each lesson players will vote on who they want to curse, hex or otherwise inconvenience.
4. Once someone is ‘locked’ in to be cursed then the lesson is over and the bell rings. The victim is taken to the hospital wing and may not post in the thread, but everyone else may continue to talk following the same rules as above. This phase lasts until I officially write up what’s happened.
5. Once the bell phase is over players will head out to the corridors to their next lesson. This phase will last for a pre-determined amount of time (usually 48 hours), and during this phase posting in the thread is not allowed. Characters who can communicate via another method (as outlined in their role PM) can talk during this time.

The Mechanics

1. Once you’ve said something, it stays said. Don’t edit your posts, even for simple things like typos.
2. To vote for someone, use the format Vote: Nemamiah. If it's not bold it doesn't count, and remember to add the space after the colon. You may Vote: No Curse if you don’t want anyone to be cursed.
3. You may change or retract your votes as many times as you wish until the curse is locked. To help me track votes, it would be appreciated if you could either Unvote: No Vote or Change Vote: New Target when doing this.
4. For a curse to be locked in someone must get votes from more than half the players (so if there are nine players they’ll need five votes) If a lesson ends and without a lock then no-one will be cursed.
6. I will post vote counts as and when I can, but feel free to request one.
7. Please try to make at least one post every 72 hours. I will prod people who don’t manage this, and being repeatedly prodded may lead to a sudden outbreak of Spattergoit confining you to the hospital wing.
8. Once you’ve been taken to the hospital wing (or if you’re not in the game) please don’t post in the thread.
9. If you are unable to post for any reason or anticipate having very limited access, please let people know in thread. Doing so will exempt you from the 72 hour prodding.
10. Please do not quote directly from your role PM’s.
11. If you have any questions let me know, either by a PM here or some other method.
12. Most importantly, remember, it’s just a game! Please have fun and try to ensure that others do too.

The Fluff

1. Every player is a named character from the Harry Potter universe. Characters have a mix of abilities (some of which they may not know about) and spells that they can cast.
2. Each lesson will have its own special rules depending on the type of class being taught. These will be communicated at the start of the lesson and may change some of the other rules of the game.
3. This is a customised game, so some rules and victory conditions may be different to a normal mafia set-up. Don’t assume anything!
4. This is intended to be a loving pastiche of Harry Potter, and in particular is meant to be a fairly wacky and light-hearted take on a traditional mafia game. Feel free to shout garbled latin phrases at each other, even if it has no in game effect.
5. Should it matter, events are set during book 3 (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), but the plot of that book will not be important to the game. The game will almost certainly diverge from the canon.
6. For the purposes of this game, a curse or a hex is a harmful effect that will send the character to the hospital wing; it's like being killed or lynched in a normal game of mafia. A charm is any other effect that's cast on that character (so it will do something other than 'kill' them).
Last edited by Nemamiah on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Will dance for Laurie Points
Nemamiah
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hijinks at Hogwarts - Breakfast Time

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 am

Player List

1. Lord Reynardine
2. Mendax
3. Chimpster
4. Tolaasin
5. Cenedra
6. GuyCliquil
7. Elvortel
8. MartinP
9. Springogeek
10. Sixtyten
11. Maxey
12. DoubleAitch
13. Joey
14. Shanodin | Hermione Grainger | Gryffindor
Last edited by Nemamiah on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 8:45 am

Background

The summer term is drawing to a close at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Students who would rather be in the grounds enjoying the fine weather are instead confined to their common rooms, complaining about the mountain of homework set by conscientious professors in preparation for the upcoming exams.

The hot weather and high workload has caused tempers to flare within the castle. Scuffles between rival houses are common, and detentions are better attended than ever. The Quidditch Cup is the closest in recent memory, with the crucial match just round the corner. And of course, the escaped murderer Sirius Black is still at large somewhere around the castle, and Dementors haunt the area searching for him.

Tempers are frayed over breakfast at the Gryffindor table that morning. Old arguments break out, heated words are exchanged, and the occasional jinx is fired under the table to underline a point. The students gather their bags, ready for a long day of lessons in stuffy classrooms.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 8:46 am

It is currently breakfast. I'll be sending out role PM's shortly, so check your mailbox. Please only post in this thread if you've got questions about the rules or information posted above. I'll open up the first day shortly.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 9:28 am

Everyone should now have role PMs; if you haven't let me know. If you have a link in your PM to a discussion topic please check that it works. I'll leave a bit of time for everyone to pick up their PMs and ask any questions, then we'll get going with lesson 1.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Sorry, one piece of flavour/mechanics that I meant to post but didn't:

For the purposes of this game, a curse or a hex is a harmful effect that will send the character to the hospital wing; it's like being killed or lynched. A charm is any other effect that's cast on that character (so it will do something other than 'kill' them).
Nemamiah

Re: Hijinks at Hogwarts - History of Magic

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 3:00 pm

The class shuffled off to their first lesson, the mind numbingly dull History of Magic. Professor Binns, his incorporeal form hovering in front of his lectern, was already droning on about the Leprechaun Strikes of the 15th Century as the class took their seats. The lesson quickly settled in to the slow, painful tedium for which it was famous. Professor Binns continued his monotonous lecture, oblivious to the whispered conversations, practiced spells and illicit games that were breaking out throughout the class room.

There are no special rules in this class.

You are now free to post in this thread.
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Woop. So who is Harry then :p.

What I'm unlear about is who is "the mafia" I assume it's slytherin, as I am a Griffindor. Therefore are those people going to have to lie about their characters name? As that will make it obvious..

Anyways I'm Angelina and as far as I can tell vanilla "town", assuming town and groffindor are synonymous.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Wed May 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Wow, that's a lot to reveal straight off the bat. I'm not assuming anything until we get someone cursed, but I would suspect that Gryffindor is "the town". Anyone got a good levitation spell I can try out to help with the Quidditch teams chances?
MOON MONEY!
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed May 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Also to further speculate the rules. It isn't clear to me the win conditions of each side are the usual ones as well. Worth noting.

EXPELLIARMUS!!!
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Wed May 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Morning fellow Gryffindors! I'm sad to report that I'm not Luna, but I do get to be Parvati so that's something. :)

Vote: Joey for managing to misspell Gryffindor two different ways in his first post. Spelling is very important in wizard school.
New corp deck - 49 snares.
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm

springogeek

Postby springogeek » Wed May 25, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm Oliver Wood, and there will be no spell-casting shenanigans on my watch!

We've got the strongest team we've ever had. Once Harry gets a new broom we will be good to go!
springogeek

Postby springogeek » Wed May 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Also, Vote: Joey for being the first to talk during class :P
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Oh yeah, there's 14 of you at the moment, so it will take the coordinated pointing of 8 wands to successfully curse someone.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed May 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Wed May 25, 2016 4:04 pm

MOON MONEY!
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed May 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Ohhhhhhhh. Fight fight fight....

Interesting so far everyone has been quidditch players.
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Wed May 25, 2016 4:12 pm

*raises hand* I'm not!

And this is interesting! I doubt Nem would give us two Oliver Woods! Nice that we get a name clash this early so we have something to go off.
New corp deck - 49 snares.
springogeek

Postby springogeek » Wed May 25, 2016 4:12 pm

I have an identity worth protecting, so I don't want to reveal my true name.
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed May 25, 2016 4:13 pm

I think it's unlikely that 2 people are same person and also that Andy would lie after someone had called a character.. having once been stung in the double deputy debacle I'll tentatively

Vote: springogeek
springogeek

Postby springogeek » Wed May 25, 2016 4:15 pm

I can tell you now that the Gryffindor do not want to lynch me, if they can help it.

I'm a wizard...
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 pm

So just so I get your story straight spring. You are an important character with an ability. So lied about being oliver as to not get hexed in the corridor (as it were).?
springogeek

Postby springogeek » Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm

MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed May 25, 2016 4:25 pm

I had a theory on Spring's claim involving Polyjuice Potion, but as it appears that Spring has admitted to just telling Fibs to protect his real ID, I guess it's a duff theory :P

Currently not sure whether to believe him or not...

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”