Hijinks at Hogwarts - Gryffindors Win!

DoubleAitch
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hijinks at Hogwarts - History of Magic

Postby DoubleAitch » Sun May 29, 2016 9:33 pm

So heres my thoughts on the characters.

The 3 main HP protagonists - these were highly likely to be present
6 others from the Quidditch team - Quidditch seems to be a thing in this game, it's mentioned in PMs and the intro so having the full team seems reasonable
1 protagonist sibling (Ginny) - this is me so I know it's genuine
4 others
- Neville
- Seamus - Quidditch commentator so perhaps relevant to the Quidditch subtheme
- Colin
- Parvati

It's possible that those further down the list and some of the less prominent Quidditch team members could be false claims but I'm starting to think that, if there are other-house scum, then they were giving safe-to-claim Gryffindor characters in their PMs.

If this is the case then character analysis is practically worthless and scum could be anywhere. However this would provide some credence to springogeeks claim, if Harry was given to him as a safe-to-claim character then why would he lie about it.

Of course this is a massive rabbit hole of assumptions at this stage.

With so little info I'm most tempted by the safe play of targeting a vanilla. Scum may be keen to claim vanilla (so they don't have to further reveal or lie about a power later) and if we are wrong we only lose a vanilla so not a big deal.

Two of the vanilla claims so far are on the Quidditch team and as I don't quite understand the significance of that yet I think I'll skip them and...

Vote: mendax

Thoughts?

If this game turns out to be a Quidditch vs. non-Quidditch thing then this is a mistake and I should be trying to push the springogeek vote instead. Time will tell.
Joey

Postby Joey » Sun May 29, 2016 10:15 pm

The name roles to me so far seem pretty legit. To the point that im almost sure we dont have a full 3 ish slytherins hiding. It just doesn't make sense given the way people name called so easily.

A Theory:

We dont have any bad guys (yet) or we just have 1. Then there is some imperious curse nonsense at play, or other type of altering hex... i.e. everyone is who they claim but someone has been imperiused (or will be soon), and more will get imperiused.....

If this is the case, and everyone (except maybe 1) is indeed who they say they are. Then I say we either "no lynch" or lynch someone unimportant, as to avoid losing a power role. If we do lynch spring we risk losing a serious power role....

What do people think? This could ofcourse be total rubbish but it is weird how believable all the claims are.. I sort of get that Guys character is slightly out of place, but thats apretty major Gryf charecter and can't think of many others that make more sense (Percy and Dean are the only 2), and if this was genuinely what Nem chose, then i feel bad hexing Guy for it. Also #READOX4LYFE

(For non HP people imperius curse is one which allows other people to take control of someone else, it is totally canon and makes thematic sense).

This curse takes its name from the Latin imperiosus, meaning "commanding, mighty, and powerful", or imperio, which means "to rule".
Nemamiah
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nemamiah » Mon May 30, 2016 7:43 am

Vote Count

Joey - 1 (Elvortel)
Springogeek - 5 (Joey, Mendax, Chimpster, Maxey, GuyCliquil)
Mendax - 4 (Sixtyten, Cenedra, Lord Reynardine, DoubleAitch)
GuyCliquil - 2 (Springogeek, MartinP)

Yet to Vote - 2 (Shanodin, Tolaasin)

8 votes required for a successful curse
Last edited by Nemamiah on Tue May 31, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will dance for Laurie Points
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Mon May 30, 2016 8:32 am

Surprised how quickly that Mendax train has got going. Never opposed to a good ole fashioned 'lynch Rob day 1' train though I do find the reasons given a little bit odd. Voting for Spring is not suspicious behaviour in my book, he's still the only player to give us a good reason to lynch him (and given the amount of information already out there, that's definitely a surprise). Still, I could probably be persuaded to lynch him as it's rarely a bad thing.

Joey's thoughts are interesting and maybe this could be a game where not lynching puts us in a stronger position. We really don't know what game we're playing yet so it's hard to know what the best course of action is at this stage.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon May 30, 2016 8:48 am

DoubleAitch

Postby DoubleAitch » Mon May 30, 2016 12:18 pm

mendax

Postby mendax » Mon May 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Something about that "yet to vote" number seems a little off...

Meanwhile, I think I agree with the Vote: Guy arguments more - whilst Spring remains suspicious in the long run. I couldn't recall what Colin did in book 3, and from a google it appears that the reason I couldn't recall anything is because he actually just did nothing. Therefore, this role claim sticks out to me.

Apart from Spring's lie (which would make sense with the Harry role claim, but is still sketchy) I don't think anyone has done anything suspicious yet.
Cenedra

Postby Cenedra » Mon May 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I know the flavour probably means nothing but given how little else we have to go on since it's class 1 I'm going to move my vote based on that also. Neville seems more legitimate than Colin.

change vote: Guy
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon May 30, 2016 1:06 pm

That's 4 for guy 4 for spring 3 for mendax 1 for me. 2 to vote, 8 needed.... this is tough. I don't really want to hex anyone.. if we miss today or no hex and get no info in the corridor I think we might need to start looking into powers and win conditions to try and work out what is going on.
springogeek

Postby springogeek » Mon May 30, 2016 1:42 pm

The longer this lesson drags on, the less I feel like hexing anyone today is a good idea.
Guy as Colin is really suspicious, but apart from that, I'd be happy if we made no hex at all today, just to get a better idea of whether there is an adversarial force or not.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon May 30, 2016 2:01 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Lord_Reynardine

Postby Lord_Reynardine » Mon May 30, 2016 2:09 pm

I think the no vote plan also has merit. I could be persuaded to move my vote there if a concerns us forms, but I'll leave it where it is for now.
Find me elsewhere: , , .
Lord_Reynardine

Postby Lord_Reynardine » Mon May 30, 2016 2:10 pm

I think the no vote plan also has merit. I could be persuaded to move my vote there if a concerns us forms, but I'll leave it where it is for now.
shanodin

Postby shanodin » Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Spring is the person I am most suspicious of. He's shown he's not above lying to further his own ends... Other than that, while I can understand the "kill a vanilla cos they matter less/are more likely scum claims" I've never really liked it much. Plus if we can get a confirmed innocent we are in a much stronger position, and we can't get a CI if we kill everyone making clear precise claims (as they are the easiest to confirm).

FWIW I'm not especially suspicious of Guy re his flavour, and I don't think whether or not someone's on the Quidditch team is relevant.

Tolaasin has hardly contributed anything here so far apart from fairly trivial snippets. He's second on my list of suspicions.
See you later, Space Cowboy.
tolaasin

Postby tolaasin » Mon May 30, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm not sure there's much to say at this stage. Everyone is claiming vanilla - apart from one or two people - it's the usual day 1 crap shoot. Apart from the Ginny thing, which to my mind is still suspicious. I haven't really seen anyone I think deserves a vote yet.

Also, a general note - I have been offered a chance to visit the Hungarian Horntail breeding centre in Germany this week. So it may be hard for me to post in the day time, as my muggle communication device is a bit limited over there.

tolaasin
tolaasin

Postby tolaasin » Mon May 30, 2016 7:34 pm

also - for whatever reason, I stopped getting notifications about post updates. I've got them working again now.
Lord_Reynardine

Postby Lord_Reynardine » Mon May 30, 2016 8:24 pm

springogeek

Postby springogeek » Mon May 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Joey

Postby Joey » Mon May 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Change Vote: no hex
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 pm

So it's clear: if 8 people vote for "no hex" then class will end with no one going good out.. so I'm floating the suggestion out there. I'm not suspicious of Colin or ginny for flavour, they make sense to me. Spring is in trouble but seeing as his claim for HP makes sense I'm tentative there. So for now I'm going to try get a no hex train going.
Maxey

Postby Maxey » Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 am

Just to reiterate what my brother said, I was told that Cenedra is Fred so I can vouch for them completely.

Ive been swung a bit by the comments. Hexing Colin sounds reasonable given that its a bit of a weird obscure character to be given and apart from anything else hes really annoying. For the moment however Im going to retract my vote and see how things develop.

Change Vote: No Hex
DoubleAitch

Postby DoubleAitch » Tue May 31, 2016 5:30 am

DoubleAitch

Postby DoubleAitch » Tue May 31, 2016 5:38 am

tolaasin

Postby tolaasin » Tue May 31, 2016 7:21 am

It's a long time since I read Harry Potter. Just forget I said it.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 am

I still worry that not hexing is a missed opportunity. Not lynching day 1 means that we have the same information to go on day 2 as we do today. That being said, this game doesn't seem to be standard at this stage so I'm happy to follow Joey's lead today and see what happens in between classes.

Vote: No Hex

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”