Salads

king_mob

Salads

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47 am

After alex's win @nats, now alongside the well tested one piece pyjama suit, salads are clearly a requirement of t1 play. This thread is for the focused discussion of salads, and what salad ingredients are sensible in a given meta.

Im bringing some heavy salad game in prep for tonights Bristol Quinns Qualifier, or "b-Qwaff" as i pronounce it.

Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
ApeAsylum

Re: Salads

Postby ApeAsylum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:16 pm

i find a hard boiled egg key to any good salad. Its cost per calorie is fantastic and with a +1 protein i find it hard to leave it out.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:23 pm

ApeAsylum wrote:i find a hard boiled egg key to any good salad. Its cost per calorie is fantastic and with a +1 protein i find it hard to leave it out.

Agreed, i think a decent egg, tuna and black olive protein suite is a good call with few if any bad matchups, you need the correct leaf package for it though. 3x iceburg salad leaves is an auto include, really. Im undecided about red onion, but if your playing on smaller tables where your closer to your opponent, it can be a good choice. That ones a flex slot really.

You can also act like its 2013 and for chilli flakes on your egg salad, risky though. Get some of that on your hands, accidentally rub your eyes in elims and its gg.
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 pm

ApeAsylum wrote:i find a hard boiled egg key to any good salad. Its cost per calorie is fantastic and with a +1 protein i find it hard to leave it out.

This. If I wasn't veggie I would be laughing it up with a goddamn salad nicoise. As it is, I dig the M&S 2-for-some-nominal-saving salads; preferably the aubergine & something one, and the giant terrifying wheatberries one. That's proper netrunning food, that is.
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Veggies eat chicken period don't they? im also veggie and i love a good chicken period in my mouth.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:53 pm

I usually partake in Salads at work thanks to the on-site salad bar. Unfortunately eggs are in short supply, but recently I've had the opportunity to add jalepenos to my salad mix, usually subbing out the Red Onion. I always run Red and Yellow peppers in my Salad however, though I'm not keen on including green peppers. The "Pepper Trifecta" just uses up too much bowl space if you go all in.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 pm

yeah agreed ,a full pepper suit is a little OTT. The jalapeño include is inspired!
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:58 pm

ApeAsylum wrote:im also veggie and i love a good chicken period in my mouth.

Sam's humours so northern its beyond the wall. #GoTreferenceswagger

I think we are all ignoring the elephant in the room here - halloumi. OK so its monolith levels of expensive, but if your eating a salad without it, its like a crim deck without desperado.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Halloumi is not great by itself, combo'd with a piece of hardware like "grill" it can be amazing. But everytime i try and play Halloumi there is always a easier better option in my fridge. I really want a halloumi salad but i just dont think it will combo regularly enough.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 pm

ApeAsylum wrote:Halloumi is not great by itself, combo'd with a piece of hardware like "grill" it can be amazing. But everytime i try and play Halloumi there is always a easier better option in my fridge. I really want a halloumi salad but i just dont think it will combo regularly enough.

The worst is when you then see someone get Halloumi out onto the the table and think "man, why can't I get that to work", silently weeping into your cottage cheese.
MOON MONEY!
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:33 pm

ApeAsylum wrote:Halloumi is not great by itself, combo'd with a piece of hardware like "grill" it can be amazing. But everytime i try and play Halloumi there is always a easier better option in my fridge. I really want a halloumi salad but i just dont think it will combo regularly enough.

(crying. thread of the year.)

Thing is, the saltiness of something like feta without the sweetness of a pepper-trifecta leaves you in the same spot as halloumi without the grill - its still a 2 foodstuff combo. You may be better off going grill-less blue sun and slotting mini falafal.
elvortel

Postby elvortel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Bah, I go for the Anarch option:

The only salad portion needed.
New corp deck - 49 snares.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:45 pm

this thread makes me happy and sad at the same time. (its a slow day at work)

i fucking love falafel!

im not playing this game anymore, im sick of sitting opposite a standard t1 caesar salad

im out! im committing saladcide
Kesterer

Postby Kesterer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Sixtyten wrote:

The worst is when you then see someone get Halloumi out onto the the table and think "man, why can't I get that to work", silently weeping into your cottage cheese.

Running cottage cheese is the main issue here though. I can understand why people run it: you look at it and think "Well, it provides nutrients and doesn't taste awful.". The problem is that other cheeses provide nutrients more efficiently and in a more satisfying manner, so cottage cheese is never worth the slot. It was playable in core before any other cheeses were printed, but now every other dairy option is just better.
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 pm

This thread makes me happy and hungry. Mostly the latter.

The thing about cottage cheese, aside from the low install cost, is that there are a couple of edge cases where it really shines. I mean, if you're running pickled beetroot or pineapple, I think it more than makes up for the downside. Of course, beetroot and pineapple aren't exactly great against a lot of the different types of hunger that are popular in the meta right now, but if you include at least 3x servings of salt you'll be OK. I mean, that's salad slots you could be using for something else I know, but as a seasoning it's pretty versatile.
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:37 pm

ApeAsylum wrote: im sick of sitting opposite a standard t1 caesar salad

I get what you're saying, but you're missing the essential point of the caesar salad dressing - it doesn't have to be used in the standard salad mixup, hell I will usually want to include it with any salad splashing for Chicken.

pruneface wrote: I mean, if you're running pickled beetroot .

I only recently came across beetroot as a salad option, and I seriously think this is going to shake up the meta. It's just waiting for the right salad mix to truly shine.

Cheese however in any of it's delicious forms is something I've never really played with. What are the benefits to playing Dairy in my salad bowl?
Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm actually not all that picky when it comes to salads, and this might be my secret to success. My favourite is the spinach and pine nut from Marks and Spencer though.

I'm starting to think that salads might be old meta. Sunflower seeds and junebugs (as in the drink) make up a winner's diet now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_bug_(cocktail)
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Kesterer wrote:
Sixtyten wrote:

Running cottage cheese is the main issue here though. I can understand why people run it: you look at it and think "Well, it provides nutrients and doesn't taste awful.". The problem is that other cheeses provide nutrients more efficiently and in a more satisfying manner, so cottage cheese is never worth the slot. It was playable in core before any other cheeses were printed, but now every other dairy option is just better.

Actually lol'd
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Lettuce is ridiculously overpowered at the moment and is absolutely ruining the current salad meta. I don't think I've seen a single competitive salad that doesn't include 3x lettuce recently (aside from the rare pasta salad, but we all know that's not a real salad).

Maybe when 'slug' gets printed I'll be happier but right now, salad is depressingly homogeneous.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Agreed, the amount salads that have come down to a lettuce, its basically random.
MouseChan

Postby MouseChan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:13 pm

king_mob wrote:Agreed, the amount salads that have come down to a lettuce, its basically random.

I bid 1 leaf...

But on a serious note, as much as I love salads at events I tend to not eat anything but fruit breakfast bars inbetween rounds, I think it's nerves killing my appitete.
Social Media guru for Netrunners.co.uk

Legenadry girl hacker with awesome hair

2x Bradford SC 1x Leeds SC winner
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:54 am

I think we can all agree Niçoise Egg Ham is for the morally bankrupt.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:27 am

NetrunningYork wrote:But on a serious note, as much as I love salads at events I tend to not eat anything but fruit breakfast bars inbetween rounds, I think it's nerves killing my appitete.

Yeah i get that too. My appetite goes to shit then i cant concentrate because i havent eaten or drunk anything for 8 hours straight (although there are some studies that say short term fasting can improve cognitive performance in some cases, still iv noticed mine get really bad if im not eating). Im in all seriousness bringing a salad next big event i go to.
shinygerbil

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:33 am

Chimpster wrote:Lettuce is ridiculously overpowered at the moment and is absolutely ruining the current salad meta. I don't think I've seen a single competitive salad that doesn't include 3x lettuce recently (aside from the rare pasta salad, but we all know that's not a real salad).

Maybe when 'slug' gets printed I'll be happier but right now, salad is depressingly homogeneous.

You'll have a hard time persuading people to #slottheslug though
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 pm

I would like to point out that Alex's salad worked for him as he came 3rd in our Qualifier last night and will be representing Bristol on the 13th. Not quite sure what part of Bristol he represents: possibly the bear pit and turbo island...
MOON MONEY!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”