Leela Post-mortem

Chimpster
Site Admin

Leela Post-mortem

Postby Chimpster » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/leela% ... ortem.html

Two of (if not the) experts on criminal, El-ad and David Hoyland have been on the blower to each other to discuss their experiences with running Leela at worlds 2015. They also have a natter about the post worlds meta, where Criminal go from here and whether Mumbad toys will make a significant impact on the future of blue.

Do you think Mumbad will make a difference to blue? What have your post worlds experiences been like?
Brendan

Re: Leela Post-mortem

Postby Brendan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:31 am

This is a pretty cool discussion.

I think the 'big code gates' problem has been one that has been steadily growing. Archangel was a real kick in the teeth for me. With it only costing four, all in-faction solutions seems absurd and in a faction with no card draw, non-icebreaker out-of-faction solutions seem impossible.

Criminal rigs are an absolute mess right now. Anarchs and Shapers have a ton of functional breakers to fall back on, whatever ice is presented to them. But just as Anarchs had the Caissa crippling their card pool during Spin, Criminals have had the B&E suite crippling their card pool during the last two cycles. This might eventually turn out functional for Geist, but right now it's tied up all their breaker design space.

I'd also add that Criminal have have a notable lack of 'glue' cards. Inject, I've Had Worse, and Street Peddler have brought speed and consistency to Anarchs. Criminals remain stuck with, as the best of a terrible bunch, Express Delivery (Mr Li, Rolodex... is there even anything else?).

Successful runners pack tons of ice destruction, powerful R&D multi-access, and robust icebreaker suites. With none of that in-faction, it's hardly a wonder Criminal decks feel stressed.
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Good article, it's given me stuff to think about.

Any thoughts on the suggested Leela deck post the NAPD Most Wanted List? Desperado seems a keeper even at a cost of 3 Influence.
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Pete wrote:Good article, it's given me stuff to think about.

Any thoughts on the suggested Leela deck post the NAPD Most Wanted List? Desperado seems a keeper even at a cost of 3 Influence.

The below is the list that I'm planning on testing. I'm not sure on 1 Corroder but I feel that a good economy and Atman is important for dealing with certain high strength ice that are too expensive to break on a regular basis.

Endless Waltz v10

Leela Patel: Trained Pragmatist

Event (16)
3x Account Siphon
3x Dirty Laundry
2x Inside Job
2x Legwork
3x Special Order
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado
1x Plascrete Carapace
3x R&D Interface ••••• •

Resource (10)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
2x Security Testing
2x Symmetrical Visage

Icebreaker (10)
1x Atman •••
1x Breach
1x Corroder ••
3x Faerie
1x Femme Fatale
1x Mimic •
1x Passport
1x Peacock

Program (2)
2x Sneakdoor Beta

12 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Cerberus wrote:
Pete wrote:Good article, it's given me stuff to think about.

The below is the list that I'm planning on testing. I'm not sure on 1 Corroder but I feel that a good economy and Atman is important for dealing with certain high strength ice that are too expensive to break on a regular basis.

Endless Waltz v10

Leela Patel: Trained Pragmatist

Event (16)
3x Account Siphon
3x Dirty Laundry
2x Inside Job
2x Legwork
3x Special Order
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado
1x Plascrete Carapace
3x R&D Interface ••••• •

Resource (10)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
2x Security Testing
2x Symmetrical Visage

Icebreaker (10)
1x Atman •••
1x Breach
1x Corroder ••
3x Faerie
1x Femme Fatale
1x Mimic •
1x Passport
1x Peacock

Program (2)
2x Sneakdoor Beta

12 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Looks very similar to the sorts of Andromeda lists Gordon was running immediately post Lotus Field. Pretty classic.
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:43 am

NAPD Most Wanted Leela Waltz 1.0

Events:
3 Account Siphon
3 Dirty Laundry
2 Inside Job
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble
1 Legwork

Hardware:
3 Desperado
2 R&D Interface
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resources:
3 Daily Casts
2 Symmetrical Visage
2 Bank Job
2 Security Testing
3 Kati Jones

Icebreakers:
1 Atman
2 Corroder
3 Faerie
1 Femme Fatale
1 Mimic
1 Passport

Program:
2 Sneakdoor Beta

3/3 LAPD MW Influence
12/12 Influence

I hate to trim the R&D interface, but to handle the icebreaker suite and Desperado influence I had no choice. My version features 2 bank jobs as I am still finding it very strong against any deck not named Foodcoats (I can usually get it off against them too). I don't have Peacock because I find it inefficient but it leaves me with using Femme or Atman for problem code gates on the scoring server. I find myself winning more games with R&D/HQ pressure as it gets later anyhow and Passport is way more efficient. What I don't like right now is Symmetrical Visage, but John Masanori is not viable in the current meta. I wonder if Drug Dealer might not be the answer, but I haven't play tested it. I wonder about cutting to 1 Sneakdoor Beta, as I don't want to see it early, and I feel like I could be through enough cards in my stack to have it when I really need it in the late game.

Thoughts?
Last edited by ronharristwo on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Team Venture!
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:01 am

Chimpster wrote:Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/leela% ... ortem.html

Two of (if not the) experts on criminal, El-ad and David Hoyland have been on the blower to each other to discuss their experiences with running Leela at worlds 2015. They also have a natter about the post worlds meta, where Criminal go from here and whether Mumbad toys will make a significant impact on the future of blue.

Do you think Mumbad will make a difference to blue? What have your post worlds experiences been like?

Cutting R&D Interface completely for The Turning Wheel, even thou it's not quite as good it would free up influence for the breaker suite.

Political Operative also has some real potential in clearing out Caprice and Ash along with being used to trash resources like Adonis behind ice.

The rest of the leaked cards seem like typical Criminal filler, I am hoping for one ice breaker worth a damn in that set (something to replace corridor and free up that influence would be ideal).
Go Team Venture!
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 am

No one likes Peacock but spending Influence on Zu which isn't great in the current meta seems bad, however I still think it's worth the deck slot so you aren't reliant on Femme or Atman.

I went down to 1 Corroder and kept the 3 R&DI adding a breach. It's also worth considering the importance of Atman if there is less Eli around.

Generally looks solid but I've not done enough testing to see if it's viable. I am worried it's glacier match is improved but at the cost to its NEH match, which will still be common.
cwoac

Postby cwoac » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:09 am

Although the damage is done; it was interesting to hear that the reason for the rash of recent high strength code gates being that yog meant that corps wouldn't run low strength gates. Well except enigma, but that is too good a gear check not to.
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:48 am

Cerberus wrote:No one likes Peacock but spending Influence on Zu which isn't great in the current meta seems bad, however I still think it's worth the deck slot so you aren't reliant on Femme or Atman.

I went down to 1 Corroder and kept the 3 R&DI adding a breach. It's also worth considering the importance of Atman if there is less Eli around.

Generally looks solid but I've not done enough testing to see if it's viable. I am worried it's glacier match is improved but at the cost to its NEH match, which will still be common.

I am gonna have to test dropping to one Corrodor, cause I would like to have 3 R&D Interface. . I worry about one bad face check meaning GG if Corrodor gets trashed. I don't like breach for the same issues I have with peacock as I think it's inefficient, but I might need to give it another look as it could help me get my that 3 R&D Interface in. I run the 2 Bank Jobs to keep my economy advantage against NEH and allow to me trash PAD/Marked Accounts/Sansan in a effort to slow them down.

Is there a tech card we might be missing that doesn't cost influence? I have to take a hard look at the Criminal pool today to answer that.

I am looking at Express delivery in this deck, it reminds me of a card called Impulse in magic. I am also considering street peddler, but I don't have the influence (turning wheel might change that soon). I like the idea of getting thru my deck to find the answers I need and keeping the pressure up, it would also allow me to cut that Sneakdoor Beta I want to cut.
Last edited by ronharristwo on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Team Venture!
cwoac

Postby cwoac » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:16 pm

ronharristwo wrote: I worry about one bad face check meaning GG if Corrodor gets trashed.

Marcus batty and Keegen Lane make it very difficult to avoid program trashing if the corp wants it.
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:26 pm

cwoac wrote:
ronharristwo wrote: I worry about one bad face check meaning GG if Corrodor gets trashed.

Marcus batty and Keegen Lane make it very difficult to avoid program trashing if the corp wants it.

Right, and I'm only seeing more Jinteki lately when I play on online. The lack of recursion in Criminal makes dealing with program trashing much harder, I'm hopeful that political operative will help me get around some of that going forward.
Go Team Venture!
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:03 am

Dave 8 games of testing drug dealer, cutting visage and I really like it. I think you should consider it in your playtesting. I cut the corridor for the breach, and while inefficient it got the job done pretty well.
Go Team Venture!
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:15 am

Test drug dealer, got it. As a 2 of?

Also, don't worry about program trashing, batty and program trashing is really uncommon.
Johno

Postby Johno » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:20 am

Cerberus wrote:Test drug dealer, got it. As a 2 of?

Also, don't worry about program trashing, batty and program trashing is really uncommon.

Tell Joey that! :P
Swiftie

Postby Swiftie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:28 pm

The oposite seems to happen to me on jinteki. So many psi games from caprice and batty, might start to include a vamp to deal with it.
If you don't like my ID, just shake it off.
Rotage

Postby Rotage » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Swiftie wrote:

The oposite seems to happen to me on jinteki. So many psi games from caprice and batty, might start to include a vamp to deal with it.

How many of those games are against me though? ;)
Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 pm

I have played another 15-20 test games or so since my last post.

I am strongly in favor of 2 drug dealers to replace visage but never more than one in play at a time. It does the job that Jon was doing more consistently, without giving a drawback to my facecheck running/credit pressure early in the game. I found Sym. Visage to be anti-tempo and underwhelming as a card overall, I don't think it has a place in the deck.

Bank Job is still doing alot of work in testing, as NBN FA/Jinteki RP/PE are decks i'm still seeing alot right now on Jinteki. I think 2 is a good number, but I can see cutting a Kati to go back to 3 (I could cut her for a Special Order maybe too). It's still not great against Foodcoats, but not impossible to land.

I have been testing 2 Express Delivery by pulling a Sneakdoor Beta, and a Special Order (Special Order would be a re-add if I could tech out something else). I found it very useful in all phases of a game, getting me to a resource, breaker, or event I need, and I like a good shuffle of the deck mid game. I have used it twice in testing already to get to the inside job I needed to bang the scoring server, and it allows me to cut the Sneakdoor Beta to 1 while making it feel more available if I need it late. I think Street Peddler could have a place in this deck one day, but that can't be a consideration till The Turning Wheel comes out, and Express Delivery might still be better because I don't trash the other cards.

Yellow FA seems even more popular after the MW list (Enigma is back in a big way) which means code gates which means I prolly need to consider the Peacock, but I'm still testing without it for now. What about Rex? I only need it for remote server blasting (Passport is clutch in testing), and it's way more efficient. Breach might be just good enough to cut Corroder all together, which could also bring Key Master/Yog back into the fold as well.

I like that you cut to one Carapace, I am getting hit with net damage (spike in Jinteki on Jinteki) alot more now, and most NBN players I am seeing are playing FA. Using Express Delivery gives me more comfort that I could get to it if i needed it.

I like Atman, thou it's initial credit investment can be high, it gives you answers to any problem on a remote/R&D which could keep you from that late agenda steal you need to win a game.

Waltz Express 1.0

Leela Patel: Trained Pragmatist (All That Remains)

Event (16)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Express Delivery (Honor and Profit)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ••••• •

Resource (12)
2x Bank Job (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Drug Dealer (Old Hollywood)
3x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (9)
1x Atman (Creation and Control) •••
1x Breach (Honor and Profit)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Passport (Honor and Profit)

Program (1)
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)
I will be testing everyday and continuing to post and work on this list. I really appreciate your help and analysis on this Dave.
Last edited by ronharristwo on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Go Team Venture!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 pm

I have a sudden need to play a Criminal, and a slightly limited Card pool.

And a desire to make a jokey name for a deck.

So this happened:
The Waltz is complete

Event (21)
2x Drive By (The Underway)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
1x Quest Completed (Fear and Loathing) ••
3x Special Order (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
2x Doppelgänger (A Study in Static)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (9)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Symmetrical Visage (The Valley)

Icebreaker (8)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••
1x GS Shrike M2 (Data and Destiny) ••
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Don't think it'll keep up with the top decks, plus the Desperado will have to go post MWL (or something else) but its essentially just full of my favorite cards, with the exception of Doppelganger which is largely there to fill a slot and it combines reasonably with Security Testing if I need some added pace.

The Quest Completed is there for the title.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:02 pm

GuyCliquil wrote:I have a sudden need to play a Criminal, and a slightly limited Card pool.

Don't think it'll keep up with the top decks, plus the Desperado will have to go post MWL (or something else) but its essentially just full of my favorite cards, with the exception of Doppelganger which is largely there to fill a slot and it combines reasonably with Security Testing if I need some added pace.

The Quest Completed is there for the title.

I want to cut that Quest so bad along with Doppleganger to run 2 Desperado, but I understand it would hurt your naming scheme.

Because you run that Passport, I feel like Gordan could be cut for Rex and the Desperados could come back in (once again, cutting Doppleganger completely), and could even be replaced by Peacock (eww).
Go Team Venture!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Desperado is, by far, the more sensible choice. However I only have 1 copy of that card and I tend to dislike running 1x useful cards (though, clearly, I have no problem running 1 x ridiculous surprise cards. If I could FIT two in I would! :D)

Doppelganger also means I can take money from Kati and hit the Quest Completed in one turn, should that become necessary.

Though....yes, the deck probably doesn't belong in this thread to be fair. I am already doubting taking it along anywhere, but if I do I will let you know how I get on.
Last edited by GuyCliquil on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Swiftie wrote:

In the nicest possible way, I'd be very careful of judging the Jinteki meta as a real tournament meta. You are unlikely at a tournament to come across a Batty program trashing deck. You'll come across program destruction ice, that's fine, it's on you to not mess up as a runner and lose your only Corroder. It's more skill intensive than other factions who can get stuff back ;)
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 pm

ronharristwo wrote:

I have played another 15-20 test games or so since my last post.

I am strongly in favor of 2 drug dealers to replace visage but never more than one in play at a time. It does the job that Jon was doing more consistently, without giving a drawback to my facecheck running/credit pressure early in the game. I found Sym. Visage to be anti-tempo and underwhelming as a card overall, I don't think it has a place in the deck.

Bank Job is still doing alot of work in testing, as NBN FA/Jinteki RP/PE are decks i'm still seeing alot right now on Jinteki. I think 2 is a good number, but I can see cutting a Kati to go back to 3 (I could cut her for a Special Order maybe too). It's still not great against Foodcoats, but not impossible to land.

I have been testing 2 Express Delivery by pulling a Sneakdoor Beta, and a Special Order (Special Order would be a re-add if I could tech out something else). I found it very useful in all phases of a game, getting me to a resource, breaker, or event I need, and I like a good shuffle of the deck mid game. I have used it twice in testing already to get to the inside job I needed to bang the scoring server, and it allows me to cut the Sneakdoor Beta to 1 while making it feel more available if I need it late. I think Street Peddler could have a place in this deck one day, but that can't be a consideration till The Turning Wheel comes out, and Express Delivery might still be better because I don't trash the other cards.

Yellow FA seems even more popular after the MW list (Enigma is back in a big way) which means code gates which means I prolly need to consider the Peacock, but I'm still testing without it for now. What about Rex? I only need it for remote server blasting (Passport is clutch in testing), and it's way more efficient. Breach might be just good enough to cut Corroder all together, which could also bring Key Master/Yog back into the fold as well.

I like that you cut to one Carapace, I am getting hit with net damage (spike in Jinteki on Jinteki) alot more now, and most NBN players I am seeing are playing FA. Using Express Delivery gives me more comfort that I could get to it if i needed it.

I like Atman, thou it's initial credit investment can be high, it gives you answers to any problem on a remote/R&D which could keep you from that late agenda steal you need to win a game.

Waltz Express 1.0

Event (16)
2x Express Delivery (Honor and Profit)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Special Order (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (12)
2x Bank Job (Core Set)
2x Drug Dealer (Old Hollywood)
3x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)

Icebreaker (9)
1x Atman (Creation and Control) •••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

I will be testing everyday and continuing to post and work on this list. I really appreciate your help and analysis on this Dave.

A few thoughts...

One Legwork and no Sneakdoor seems rough, think we need more.

Put Peacock in! Rex doesn't cut it, he get a used up too much, running through code gates on the remote only is an ideal world, where you have also seen you 1x Passport. There will often be games where you draw Rex and want to Siphon. You won't wait for Passport.
I had 2-3 Rex in early EW builds, it's not good trust me.

I'm interested to see how much we need the Atman post MWL, may not be needed?

Going back to Bank Jobs is a solid plan if there are lots of Yellow decks. Building for both glacier and FA us tough.

Will do some testing with Drug Dealer, think more economy may be needed fi support it but will see, just a gut feeling.
ronharristwo

Postby ronharristwo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Cerberus wrote:
ronharristwo wrote:[quote="Cerberus"

A few thoughts...

One Legwork and no Sneakdoor seems rough, think we need more.

Put Peacock in! Rex doesn't cut it, he get a used up too much, running through code gates on the remote only is an ideal world, where you have also seen you 1x Passport. There will often be games where you draw Rex and want to Siphon. You won't wait for Passport.
I had 2-3 Rex in early EW builds, it's not good trust me.

I'm interested to see how much we need the Atman post MWL, may not be needed?

Going back to Bank Jobs is a solid plan if there are lots of Yellow decks. Building for both glacier and FA us tough.

Will do some testing with Drug Dealer, think more economy may be needed fi support it but will see, just a gut feeling.

Shit the Sneakdoor didn't get copied in the import as I tried to get tricky with Netrunner DB, but I got 1 in there, I edited the post to reflect that. I believe you about the Rex, I worry about that same thing. I think the Bank Jobs support the Drug Dealer just fine, but Atman has felt ok in testing, this could also be Gordan Blade maybe? Peacock thou, I really don't like it. Sneakdoor and Legwork at 1 feels ok honestly, because of the Express Delivery/Drug Dealer I feel better about running one but getting to it. I would add another Sneakdoor Beta/Legwork if I removed Express Delivery, along with replacing the 3rd Special Order. Express makes me feel comfortable with running less copies of everything (gives room for tech), so I'm testing to see how consistent it feels overall.
Go Team Venture!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:01 am

The Waltz is complete

Event (20)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
3x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
1x Quest Completed (Fear and Loathing) ••
3x Special Order (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (9)
2x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Symmetrical Visage (The Valley)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains)

Icebreaker (8)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x GS Shrike M2 (Data and Destiny) ••
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ••

Program (1)
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I think I will get access to some Desperados so, assuming you are dedicated to taking a Quest Completed for the name, I think this is as good as it gets. I don't like its vulnerability to program trashing but the R&D interfaces are essential. Back when I was playing this deck one of the most amazing games I had was when I was locked out of a remote (can't recally exactly how) but could go mad on a rich R&D. I was able to just keep bouncing the advanced agenda backed to hand. That is, essentially, the backup plan here.
The Praetor of Jank

Return to “Site Article Discussion”