The Rebirth of Blackguard

Chimpster
Site Admin

The Rebirth of Blackguard

Postby Chimpster » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:13 am

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/the%20 ... guard.html

There's spoilers on the starboard bow! Jamie Dodd has taken the time to muse on one of the forthcoming cards of the Mumbad cycle: Rebirth. Needless to say it's a card that has raised eyebrows in the Netrunner community for its game changing potential (as well as being a heck of a lot of fun). In this article, Jamie takes us through one of his favourite idea's for Rebirth involving one hell of an expensive console...

What interactions are you most looking forward to testing? Which ID's will you be taking in your deck box?
lmm

Re: The Rebirth of Blackguard

Postby lmm » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:43 pm

If you wouldn't run silhouette I don't think you'd Rebirth into her - especially since that negates her deck size advantage. I think we'll see plenty of Rebirth Andy, but Gabe, Leela or even Iain are all better options than Silhouette.
mendax

Postby mendax » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Rebirth will be good in Andy and Val, and probably not worth it elsewhere. I can see matchups where turning into Sil is useful though.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:18 pm

I can see turning into Sil. Sometimes her ability rocks.

I'm not sure Blackguard is good enough to play. I am not sure where it should be costed - probably less than 5 credits. At more than 10 it seems unworkable.
Nekader

Postby Nekader » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 am

So Blackguard only works when the runner is rich enough to install it and the corp is poor enough that its effect can trash some ice, right? Ideally you want to Siphon, Gamble, Blackguard, Rebirth and that's probably easiest out of Andy. Still probably too inconsistent but it sounds like a fun idea.
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 am

Nekader wrote:So Blackguard only works when the runner is rich enough to install it and the corp is poor enough that its effect can trash some ice, right? Ideally you want to Siphon, Gamble, Blackguard, Rebirth and that's probably easiest out of Andy. Still probably too inconsistent but it sounds like a fun idea.

Ah, to live in a world where Blackguard trashed things that the Corp can't afford to rez. Sadly, it doesn't work like that; they just have to rez it if they can, and if they can't afford it (or there's an additional cost that they don't want to pay, a la Archer) then it just goes back facedown.

That's one of the many reasons that it's so overcosted.
Will dance for Laurie Points
Nekader

Postby Nekader » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 am

Nemamiah wrote:Ah, to live in a world where Blackguard trashed things that the Corp can't afford to rez. Sadly, it doesn't work like that; they just have to rez it if they can, and if they can't afford it (or there's an additional cost that they don't want to pay, a la Archer) then it just goes back facedown.

That's one of the many reasons that it's so overcosted.

Ah, you're completely right! Think that would fix the card though. *Nudges FFG*
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:45 pm

I like the idea of how the game would play with Blackguard but to some level it is declaring economic warfare on the corp and then immediately giving itself an 11 credit penalty.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
tolaasin

Postby tolaasin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:32 am

I played against a blackguard deck for the first time the other day - as well as snitch and blackguard, it ran Run Amok - which put me in a bind - rez the ice, and lose it, or let runner through. There are a couple of Reina decks on nrdb with this combination of cards, but I think this was being played out of Andy.

Return to “Site Article Discussion”