Stockport Regional 2016 Tournament Report

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
shanodin

Stockport Regional 2016 Tournament Report

Postby shanodin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:13 am

Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/tourna ... ional.html

Regular contributor Dave 'Cerberus' Hoyland is back with a tournament report from the recent 66 person event in Stockport, where Dave fought his way through 6 rounds of Swiss, an overnight stay in Stockport, and a 2-game winner's final to claim victory. His article contains some musings on the meta, on intentional draws, and a full match by match recap of the event. Congratulations Dave and once again, a huge thanks for taking the time to write up this report for us.
See you later, Space Cowboy.
GuyCliquil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Stockport Regional 2016 Tournament Report

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:57 pm

As I said on slack great article.

One thing that jumped out at me from the article was the way in which your play and decisions for what deck to play are informed by what seems like a strong network of like minded and talented players. I believe in R1 of Stockport I played against someone who you worked with - I think the Mark mentioned in this article (I am not fantastic with names) - and he was running at least a similar corp to you and it occurs to me he may have been running the same style of runner (I never did see his influence spread and an apocalypse might have been his plan had I not stumbled my way to a kill first).

Is this something that you have deliberately set out to create or is it something that has just happened because you have become friends with these people through tournaments and such like? It might be a slight chicken and egg thing but did you get to know people first socially and then develop into Netrunner people that have informed your game (and presumably vice versa) or do you seek out players you respect to craft/practice with and then, presumably, some friendship develops.

If you think it might be an integral part how would you recommend aspiring champions out there to develop such a thing?
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Mark and Dave build, test and discuss together frequently. They often play identical decks, but they were on different runners at Stockport.

I've half typed out a fairly long and rambling answer to your question about testing and discussion groups, but figured I'd give Dave a chance to respond first (as you addressed the question to him!) and me time to get my thoughts in some semblance of an order. It's usually a fairly critical part of being a good player, though.
Will dance for Laurie Points
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Whilst I did the direct the question at Dave I would certainly be interested in others' answers fwiw
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Chris, definitely answer as your view is just as valid as mine.

Guy, to answer the question, Mark started playing Netrunner just over a year ago and wanted to play competitively and so I've been teaching him I guess and he's now my main testing buddy. We often play similar decks because we have discussed what we think the meta is going to be like and what the right deck is.

I try and keep on top of what the great UK players are thinking of playing because I want to ensure I have a good match up against them. If you make the wrong judgement call you can suffer horrible loses but you can get easier games if you get it right. Siphon Whizz that Timmy played is a great example of that meta call.

I also chat to a lot of great players around the world and generally keep on top of what is winning tournaments and is popular on NetrunnerDB. These things all influence the meta and you likely need to be aware of them to make a good meta call.

The meta has been criticised as being quite rock, paper and scissors recently, and therefore making the right deck call is especially important, but it's always an important skill.

In all honesty I don't do enough testing, but Mark and me always try and test the top decks because we need to play them to understand them and know how to beat them. Also knowing how your deck functions against a particular top deck is very important.

I may be waffling on now, but does this answer your question? Happy to answer more if you have follow up?
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:48 am

Chris, it seems to me that we could write an article on this if you are game? Perhaps include a few of the other top players?
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:42 am

Yep, I'm totally up for that.

I've been mulling over some sort of one-off or series of articles in my head (preposterously grandiose working title: The Competitive Player's Handbook) that covers this sort of thing, all the extras and fripperies that help you be good at Netrunner.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:39 pm

As another answer to your question Guy: my attempts to encourage competitive play (as well as the more creative styles) at Oxford might not be entirely selfless. ;)

Return to “Site Article Discussion”