The Flavour of the Game

shanodin

The Flavour of the Game

Postby shanodin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Read the article here.

Mark "Cacoethesvictor" Mottram has spoken to several notable Netrunners to get the scoop on their favourite flavour text! A lovely palate cleanser after nationals season, join us for a look at the theme and flavour that brings this game to life for so many.
See you later, Space Cowboy.
Nixxus

Re: The Flavour of the Game

Postby Nixxus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 pm

Loved the article, but i wanted to point out something that may have been missed from the Apocalypse and Harbinger flavor text.

The ITA2 Code used in the flavor text is also used by the sentient AI 'AM' in Harlan Ellison's short story "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream".
The rest of this post contains major spoilers for this story and I would recommend reading it first.

The codes used in I Have No Mouth... are:
I THINK, THEREFORE I AM

and
COGITO ERGO SUM

While there isn't a more direct link at the moment Apex's goal of devouring as many computers as possible lines up with the history of AM, where AM has succeeded in taking over as many devices as possible. It would be interesting to see if AM and Apex become more similar as the net-runner story continues, as while AM has control over every networked device, it has been driven insane as a result of now being trapped within the network with little freedom, now torturing the last few humans alive as revenge for keeping it locked up.

Apologies for grammar and spelling issues, posting this during a nightshift at work :p

Return to “Site Article Discussion”