The Endless Waltz - Leela Patel

Chimpster
Site Admin

The Endless Waltz - Leela Patel

Postby Chimpster » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:00 am

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/the%20 ... patel.html

Dave Hoyland (UK National champion and Top 8 World's) has been thrashing us all recently with the new Criminal ID; Leela Patel and has kindly broken down his latest iteration for all you lovely souls who don't have to suffer the pain of being his guinea pigs! Anyone else had the chance to give Leela a whirl? What cards have done good work for you? What do you think her weakest match-ups are?
christo

Re: The Endless Waltz - Leela Patel

Postby christo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 am

Great read, I've really grown to love Leela recently. She screws with FA brilliantly, because they have to end their turn immediately after Leela bounces. A couple of cards I think are great in Leela that I expected to see at least mentioned though:

Crescentus: with Crescentus you can deliberately target a high cost ICE to throw back into the corp's hand. I have on a couple of occassions with Leela run into the problem of there being no unrezzed cards to bounce when I score, and crescentus solves that. It also screws with Blue Sun's economy, as they can't recoup the rez cost instantly.

Keyhole: The MVP of Leela decks in my opinion. With Keyhole you can build up agendas in archives until you need access to their scoring server. 3 agendas in archives (using Hades shard to bypass Jackson) means a 3 ice deep scoring server is now naked again. PE does become an issue at this point though.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Great write-up from the Hoylanator. I loved Criminal from the first but am one of the those weird "I don't want to play it if everyone else is" types. Having a new ID being so successful, gives me an "in"! Assuming of course everyone now doesn't just jump on the bandwagon... ;)
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:27 pm

@Christo great to hear Keyhole is working for you, I've not tested it so its hard to comment but I feel it won't be as strong against Glacier due to the need for repeated access. This is the same reason I'm not running Indexing. Have you found this at all?
Is your build Logos or Desperado?

In regards to Cresentus, this I did test and I found 2-3 Emergency Shutdowns were enough, against some decks which run cheap ice derezzing is a lot less effective. I didn't want 5-6 cards that were dead draws against some decks. I definitely prefer ES to Cresentus.

@Gaz there are lots of underplayed Criminal IDs, but I've found Leela to be fun and different from other Criminal decks I've played. Worth giving it a go!
MouseChan

Postby MouseChan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:06 pm

I beat a leelah deck with PE by rezzing a 3 adv Ronin when she was running an agenda server on click 3 with little money. Just remember you have a rez step before things in your server get stolen which can be the key to not losing key cards like ronin or sansan.

Still very glad to see her come to fruition always said she was good for attacking HQ but no-one believed me and I was too anomoured with noise to build a deck for her.
Social Media guru for Netrunners.co.uk

Legenadry girl hacker with awesome hair

2x Bradford SC 1x Leeds SC winner
Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:08 pm

NetrunningYork wrote:I beat a leelah deck with PE by rezzing a 3 adv Ronin when she was running an agenda server on click 3 with little money.

This is something I'll need to start doing... I've been playing a lot of PE recently on OCTGN (which is full of Leela right now), and Ronin feels so dead against Leela.

I did have an amusing moment as PE where Leela was forced to put my Snare/Psychic Field (I forgot which) back into my hand, because her ability does not say "may".
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Had a bit of a play with leela last night on octgn with an adapted version of my gabe deck vs a blue sun/toybox deck.

Very odd matchup as he was down to 1 rezzed ice wall at one point. I shutdown a Janus 3 times. Won by running archives with a pri-rec in it and a hive in front with no subs...
MOON MONEY!
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Sixtyten wrote:Had a bit of a play with leela last night on octgn with an adapted version of my gabe deck vs a blue sun/toybox deck.

Very odd matchup as he was down to 1 rezzed ice wall at one point. I shutdown a Janus 3 times. Won by running archives with a pri-rec in it and a hive in front with no subs...

I've had several games against Blue Sun where there have been turns mid game where the corp has 0-1 cards on the table. I think the BS match up is good for Leela!
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 am

I've been running alot of leela with good success, because I slam RnD early to keep the hq ice unrezzed so I can bounce for a legwork or account siphon I find that an early RnD Hive just destroys my plan A, what do you think my Plan B should be? Usually I give a little bit of pressure to hq and build my rig to pressure the remotes. Is there a better Plan B To deal with early RnD lockout
ihmcallister

Postby ihmcallister » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 pm

I've only just got back into the game after a few months out but I've been running a variant on Dave's deck since i got running again.

The main problems I've come across so far are draw, which dave addresses and I think earthrise is the better choice as John can get locked out and also makes you more afraid to face check in case you pick up the tag. I've also had problems with midseasons/scorch and bounty/scorch. Now this might be solved by more card draw to get the plascrete's/ breakers faster, but I'm also thinking about running a decoy or crash space as more defence.

Thoughts?

Iain
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:20 pm

ihmcallister wrote:I've also had problems with midseasons/scorch and bounty/scorch.

I've been trying out Utopia Shard lately on Brendan's advice and I think it offers some fantastic pressure. Now, I don't forsee this helping you avoid a Midseasons - > eventual SE death, as the corp can just trash the thing, but for Bounty, it can trash the SE combo out of hand and help you dodge death that way - especially if they're relying on a 3xSE kill.

I think shard is straight up great out of criminal, too, and in Leela you can do shenanigans like score -> bounce advanced card -> pop shard. For a more realistic use case, it puts the sword of damocles over an NEH who'd like to Fast Track that winning agenda, and can catch them by surprise if they Biotic first before installing. Over at Dark Sphere I Utopia'd a Fast-Tracked astro out of hand, which turned that game in my favour from a very bad position.
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Utopia Shard is flat out amazing. The best part is it's not telegraphed - those free accesses on HQ when the corp has nothing in hand and doesn't want to rez the ice let you install it. If HQ ever becomes prohibitive to run, you can play it from hand for almost guaranteed 2 accesses. It's sweet.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:20 pm

ApeAsylum wrote:I've been running alot of leela with good success, because I slam RnD early to keep the hq ice unrezzed so I can bounce for a legwork or account siphon I find that an early RnD Hive just destroys my plan A, what do you think my Plan B should be? Usually I give a little bit of pressure to hq and build my rig to pressure the remotes. Is there a better Plan B To deal with early RnD lockout

Sounds like you are being a bit rigid with your plan, I don't ever sit down with a set game plan as it all depends on what the corp does, and what my hand dictates. For example if I have R&DI in hand, I will often pressure HQ in case I can bounce the R&D ice. If I have Legworks or Siphons then I will attack HQ. Putting on some good remote pressure is really important against anything not just FAing everything. It puts them under pressure and allows agendas to build up in hand. In regards to early R&D lock out with a Hive, I think you just have to hit other areas, its unlikely to be worth pressuring there until the corp scores or you have a few R&DI out, or both. All about being fluid I guess.

ihmcallister wrote:I've only just got back into the game after a few months out but I've been running a variant on Dave's deck since i got running again.

The main problems I've come across so far are draw, which dave addresses and I think earthrise is the better choice as John can get locked out and also makes you more afraid to face check in case you pick up the tag. I've also had problems with midseasons/scorch and bounty/scorch. Now this might be solved by more card draw to get the plascrete's/ breakers faster, but I'm also thinking about running a decoy or crash space as more defence.

Thoughts?

Iain

I find it interesting that you have been having trouble with SE, as I think that the deck is very good against this sort of threat. There will always be times when you get caught for sure, but the deck has good economy and lots of ways to pressure and deny economy. I think in a heavy SE meta I would up the number of Plascrete to 3, but I dont think this is where we are currently, and I worry what the addition would do in regards to consistency against decks like NEH, however, test it and see how it works for you, your experience and meta may be different.
In regards to card draw, I tested a bit with Earthrise and wasnt too keen on it. I have done some very limited testing with Mr Li, and he's been great in some of the games, less good against NEH, but then I've been drawing him when I have ended up tag me to keep up the pressure. That may just be bad play on my part though?
Glad you've been enjoying the deck though.
ihmcallister

Postby ihmcallister » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks for replying Dave.

I am finding my problem tends to come from an early score when I am not setup fully as yet. I then get midseasons and am basically racing to win or get plascretes before the Scorch hits. Might have just been unlucky, might be my style of play. I had changed the deck up a bit running Notoriety and Early Bird. Here is the deck I ran at a recent tournament and it went 2-2. I think the Notorious idea was a bad one so I'll be taking out Early Birds and those for other things.

Notorious Leela

Leela Patel: Trained Pragmatist (All That Remains)

Event (21)
2x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Early Bird (Honor and Profit)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
2x Notoriety (Trace Amount) ••
2x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ••••

Resource (6)
2x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (11)
2x Cerberus "Rex" H2 (All That Remains)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Garrote (True Colors)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Passport (Honor and Profit)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:03 pm

thanks dave, yeah i guess when i was explaining plan A and Plan B its just a general process i go though on turn 1 and 2. after i see some cards and get the jist of the deck im playing against i will usually become much more fluid.

On the subject of Card Draw, ive found Mr Li works extremely well in this deck, not usually a huge fan of it but if i get it early enough its for the entire game, not too expensive (i find earthrise hotel too expensive for a 6 cards) and enables me to find anything that i need. I just straight up dont like john masonaori. With all the breakers i have (12) and all the econ i need (16 econ cards) the odds of hitting something i need is great.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah, I used 2x Mr Li at Exeter Store Champs (where Leela lost 1 game 6-7 against Chris' NEH Grail) and was very impressed with it. I also tested Earthrise and wasn't a fan. I maintain that John Masanori is the right call against a high NEH meta, but less good against a big mix.

I've also been testing 1x Zu and believe it will likely become a permanent feature.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm really surprised that a Zu is enough better than a Peacock to warrant the 2 inf. Of the codegates you see a lot, Zu is 1c better through quandary, enigma*, datapike. Peacock is better through most strengths of Next Bronze and Inazuma and Tollbooth. Lotus Field (and other 4str, 1 sub code gates) are a wash. Peacock looks a lot worse than it actually is. Viktor 1.0 makes you somewhat sad, but you're either rich, or you can click through it.

Is it a Merlin issue? I guess 8c vs 6c through a stacked Merlin is quite bad.

*It's a wash on last click.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:21 pm

You are also not considering the install cost. But its actually things like quandary that hurt the most, if I don't have passport, regular checking of a central really hurts with Rex and Peacock. Using counters is terrible, paying 2 credits for each check if HQ is also something you can't afford to do.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Cerberus wrote:You are also not considering the install cost. But its actually things like quandary that hurt the most, if I don't have passport, regular checking of a central really hurts with Rex and Peacock. Using counters is terrible, paying 2 credits for each check if HQ is also something you can't afford to do.

I completely agree - this has been an issue in my Gabe deck when my passport has disappeared due to careless running or power shutdown...
MOON MONEY!
addseo1115

Postby addseo1115 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:28 am

Good to see your opinions.
It's great. I have agreed. Thanks for posting.

Return to “Site Article Discussion”