Oxford 1st Place Regional Report

Chimpster
Site Admin

Oxford 1st Place Regional Report

Postby Chimpster » Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/oxford ... eport.html

Has Clot killed off NEH Fast Advance? Samuel Pay has written what can only be described as one of the most detailed tournament reports ever to describe his experiences running the the worlds most popular deck in a post-clot environment. Does Clot derail the train?
Dzerards

Re: Oxford 1st Place Regional Report

Postby Dzerards » Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 am

Really nice article, but the corp deck list doesn't match up with the write up. Mother Goddess and Builder are mentioned in the report but not in the list.
Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Fri May 29, 2015 12:12 am

It must be noted that my second name is spelt "Hynes"! No big deal, it's common for people to misspell it and I recognise that the spelling is non-standard.

Nice writeup, either way. I don't think Sam put the last game's desperation to justice, he mentioned how I delayed the game by a turn with the Blacklist and tried for Vamp, both desperate plays, but that game felt like desperation from the start. My draws weren't great, and Zu doesn't break Wormhole very cheaply (with nary a spare SMC/Clone Chip to summon a Cyber Cypher).

Sam deserves the win, and perfectly exploited my mistakes in each game we played.

Something that may be worth pointing out is my inexperience against Post-Clot NEH with Shaper and the Trick variant of NEH. This is of course, partially due to the fact that not many are playing NEH now that NEH is worse: I'd never played versus a non-silly variant before Manchester, and my inexperience showed. I've made sure to get a lot more games of testing in against NEH for the lead up to Nationals, as I'd recommend everybody does. You can't just bring Clot and everything is okay, you need to outplay your opponent, too, and it's not always so easy. Clot doesn't win you the matchup, it just means the best player wins.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Fri May 29, 2015 7:28 am

Sorry guys I must have sent my slightly updated deck through. I'll try and get this sorted asap. well I'll email Dave the right list :-D
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Fri May 29, 2015 7:44 am

My, you're a diplomatic guy. Our game was tense, but I felt you were all over me the whole time and played mistake free, and the article makes it clear that you read me like a book (written in crayon and a very large font) to boot! It would have been theft if I'd won that game.

Congratulations on the win; that was not an easy cut to navigate.
Will dance for Laurie Points
Rejusu

Postby Rejusu » Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Hah you give me too much credit. I'm actually considering ditching Blacklist. It's a card that benefits from being protected and my deck isn't built for that. I can't be lucky enough to get such a perfect setup to rez it in every time. Also went up to two CVS (one wasn't cutting it) and ditched MaXX for Valencia. They were good games though, the space ICE really threw me for a loop.
Wookiee

Postby Wookiee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I had a reasonably similar experience at the FFG Regionals, though I played far worse. ;)

I took my NEH Fastro based deck because I knew it, and because my RP and BS decks were so slow. I faced clot precisely one time. It did shut me down, because I was so unfamiliar with it. I played out my Blacklist too early, lost it early, and then couldn't score out my final astro.

I went 5-1 with my NEH, and I *think* I could have won the last game if I'd played out Blacklist from hand (I had clicks to install Blacklist, install Astro on San San and score with a counter) appropriately. I'm glad that clot dropped the density of NEH, and I'm glad that NEH can still win against it. ;)

Excellent write up!
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:54 am

It did shut me down, because I was so unfamiliar with it

Yeah lots and lots of people assumed that if you play clot vs NEH you win the game, and that just isnt the case. Like any new card it required some practice and knowledge of the game to really turn the screws/ or play around.

I'm glad that clot dropped the density of NEH

I couldn't agree more, i think clot is a fantastic card, i love playing NEH but it was way too overpowered. Its much more in-line with the other factions/decks. Its perfectly balanced deck and still tier 1 in my opinion. I think NEH Grail is actually a little better against Kate decks now, its really chews into those clone chips.

Excellent write up!

Thank you so much! my first right up so i was super nervous about it.

Return to “Site Article Discussion”