The Road to Nationals 2015

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chimpster
Site Admin

The Road to Nationals 2015

Postby Chimpster » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/the%20 ... onals.html

Alex White, winner of the 2015 UK National Championships has kindly taken the time (before jetsetting off abroad) to take us through his nationals journey. Part two of the series (the event itself) will be published soon, so watch this space folks!

On behalf of everyone at netrunners.co.uk, a huge congratulations to Alex for a hugely impressive performance - every bit the worthy winner!
king_mob
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Road to Nationals 2015

Postby king_mob » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Massive congrats Alex, hard fought and well earned win.

Would you be able to expand on the comment about "best decks?" - as in, from your perspective is there a definitive single deck given the current card pool (and this applies to whatever the card pool is) that is quantatively the best? Im guessing your meaning 0 bad matchups?**

**edit: reading that back it seems like im disagreeing - actually far from it, im asking as im more interested in playing competitively now than i was when i started playing ANR, and correspondingly less interested in deck building. If a player of your calibre is saying that you get better chances playing competitively playing the best decks, i think thats worth paying attention to. I made a point similar to this on facebook, that the most prominent archetypes currently have had a massive amount of manhours poured into them by the community in terms of tuning and playtesting, and its important to realise this and take advantage of that. What my original question really should be is - do you think there is only really 1 corp and 1 runner, or is there a wider spectrum to choose from?
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:05 am

Will dance for Laurie Points
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:20 am

king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:46 am

Tim the Enchanter

Postby Tim the Enchanter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:15 am

Playing NEH grail turned out to be a wise meta choice given my innovative 'draw three merlins within 10 cards' strategy.

More generally, totally agree RP and Kate are the best decks, pretty hard to dispute that right now. I personally think though that Kate is a much clearer 'strongest deck' than RP is. I think the explanation is that there are some pretty well known ways to tech against RP which are effective like vamp, parasite recursion, pro co (waiting for Calimsha to register on these forums just to dispute this...), such that i think you can get a deck with a pretty favourable RP matchup if you really try. Whereas I think its hard to think of any deck I'd see to be favoured over a strong Kate deck right now.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 am

NRE MaxX looks pretty solid.
Tim the Enchanter

Postby Tim the Enchanter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am

I agree, though I do think certain world champions are understating just how bad blacklist is for Maxx. If its behind a lotus field then if either both of your yogs or both of your NREs ends up in the bin you are just totally screwed. Even if not, it creates a mad panic to break into a server a time of the corps choosing, Maxx often can't cope for even a few turns without access to her heap.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:34 am

I think it depends how the coin falls. Lotus isn't that good if it isn't Yog.0 hate. If Lotus Field goes away, Anarch gets very good. Net Ready MaxX is quite possibly the best deck. If everyone has Lotus and Power Shutdown or some other NRE hate then Kate still wins.

I think only having access to half the cards in your deck is a problem. Though maybe not as big a problem as it initially seems. Netrunner is a game of finding a way with what you have.

MaxX (even in its minimum punk rock guise) is way way cooler than Kate. I'm glad it's close.
Last edited by MasterAir on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
mendax

Postby mendax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:41 am

I'm definitely going to be testing NEH with power shutdown as both clot hate and NRE hate. It should be interesting, at least, and Astrobiotics is beginning to creak (finally).
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 am

Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Cheers for the support guys!

I agree with basically everything Xenasis said. The best deck is just the one that you reckon will give you the best chance of winning the tournament, and you need to take a lot of factors into account. Generally I feel like the best deck is consistent in and of itself, includes individually powerful cards and doesn't have any horrible matchups. While the best deck can still fail at any of these criteria, both RP and Kate are certainly all three of those things. The same can be said of the NEH deck that I was playing pre Clot.

Because we work as a pair Andrew and I generally don't end up playing pet cards or cards that we just like, since the other will call us on it. I was playing an RP deck with Excalibur at one point and Andrew kept calling me an idiot until I took it out.

I'm also confident in our shared ability to look at the big picture in figuring out what the best deck actually is. Often people just use their personal experiences to form their view of the meta, and end up thinking that Argus is the best deck because some dude in their meta keeps wrecking them with it. Keeping up to date with tournament results is a huge boon, as is taking on board things said by other players that you respect.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 pm

MartinP

Postby MartinP » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:41 pm

pruneface

Postby pruneface » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Found this article (and thread!) gave me plenty of food for thought. Thanks, folks.

Regarding 'best decks'. I mean, obviously we're using 'best' as a synonym for 'most competetive' here, but I want to touch on something that a bunch of folks suggested, which is that there are decks that, no matter how competetive, won't suit you because they are a bad match for the sort of pilot you are.

My philosophy is that I will build a deck that I am able to consistently enjoy playing, and use that as a benchmark for creating a good deck. As the locals know, I am a hugely competetive person and really enjoy winning. But, I also like decks which allow me to be competetive and make dramatic and /or big 'plays'; that's what's so appealing about the Maxx Dig or Die, Runner, Die! archetypes. At the same time, I hate being put in situations where I have no control over the game - for example, credit denial as a corp, or being locked out as runner. So, with that in mind, I tend to iterate towards something that has the highest % chance of me feeling happy after I played a competetive match with someone, and hope that leads me towards building competetive decks.

I'm certain this way of thinking has plenty of flaws with it. One big pitfall I'm aware of is that something which 'feels' bad in a game - like wiping virus counters, or clicking for creds twice to kill DLR - isn't actually bad in terms of competitive strategy; this is one of those things where using instinct is less useful than logic. But so far it has led me to make some interesting decks and avoid bad play experiences.
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 pm

MOON MONEY!
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Learning how to play against headlock / denial decks is really important currently. Playing Stu's Reina Headlock a few times over the last month or so has really helped. May build that deck just to educate (make cry) my meta mates.

However running an ITD deck is also upsetting people!
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:11 pm

GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Headlock reminds me of RP, it gets to a point where they have an Ash and Caprice remote with taxing ice, centals rezzed and loads of asset economy going with a Nisei scored and you think that's it I'm done, the games over, it's just not finished yet.
Against Headlock, you are in the game until they get you to zero credits and have Lamprey / Crecentus and Clone Chip etc. Then you are likely done. The name is apt, it does Headlock you.

It's all about avoiding getting to 'that point' against both decks. People have lots of experience against RP (and tech) and if they had this against Headlock it would likely be different imo. It's definitely a strong archetype, Stu provided this by placing 1st/2nd seed at Nationals with it.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:38 pm

I posted some on playing against it from the corp perspective. Other people should contribute - it's a lot more interesting for both sides if you know how to play against it.

Return to “Site Article Discussion”