Because We Built It - Part 3: Executives and Exposes

Chimpster
Site Admin

Because We Built It - Part 3: Executives and Exposes

Postby Chimpster » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/becaus ... t%203.html

Mr Coop's journey towards deck building nirvana continues this month, with a fascinating look at the different routes of corp deck building, with a detailed look at the construction of his new pet project; a New Angeles Sol deck.
DvM_BooM

Re: Because We Built It - Part 3: Executives and Exposes

Postby DvM_BooM » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:56 pm

While I follow the logic of the deck I struggle to understand how you'd pull of a midseasons with only 6 economy cards that I can see....? Am I being stupid and missing something?
3 hedge
2 sweeps
1 special offer
From my experience, unless I'm missing something, you'd struggle with that little economy even if you weren't trying to midseasons the runner.

This has been the issue I have found when trying to merge fast advance with glacier and tagging... It's just too many cards and something ends up suffering. My personal recommendation is to just use SanSans (less deck slots)

Edit : re-reading that, it sounds a little blunt. I have followed your articles and think you have great intentions pushing newer people to think about the reasoning behind deck building. Thank you and well done.
SmoothCoop

Postby SmoothCoop » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Nope, you're absolutely right! Adding in influence, I'll be removing ICE and assets and replacing them with economy.

There's a deck I'm netdecking atm (The Flash Wears Yellow) that is exactly what I'd love to aim for. Can't blame a guy for FAing :)

Don't panic, you haven't missed a trick. I'll come back to it in 2 months time.

For now..

Make my deck better ;)

All the best,

Mike
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:21 am

I think you've made a bit of a mistake in your classification of fast advance decks. It's a common error but one of the things that bugs me most in netrunner discussions so I had to bring it up - you've conflated Fast Advance and Rush. These are two very different strategies!

Fast Advance means scoring agendas in a single turn - ie not leaving them on the board during the runner's turn. It is not necessarily a particularly fast (in terms of turns) strategy and certainly does not necessarily aim to "end the game before the runner can build a good rig ". What you've described there is a rush deck.

Yes, a lot of decks contain some elements of both (or in the case of some recent HB decks, both of these *and* glacier elements like Caprice) and yes it's quite common to attempt to rush early agendas before switching to fast advance once the runner does have a rig out, but I think that especially in a series of articles designed for newer players you should be more careful about your terminology and certainly include a more accurate description of fast advance.
SmoothCoop

Postby SmoothCoop » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks for your comments.

I didn't want to cover rush as a deck archtype, as it has serious flaws in execution.

When it comes to FA, there are too many subcategories to make a note of. Sure, SanSan City Grid whips them out, but other strategies work in different ways. For instance, Astroscript has a rush feel to it, but is a staple of FA decks. Yet, if you can't find your FA components, you need 2 turns to score your agendas (install, adv3). Does this count as rush? Maybe, maybe not. I've seen people late gane install agendas to sneak it past the runner, using good Yomi to make it look like a Jackson.

Would you count Jinteki:PE decks as fast advance/rush/other? You don't necessarily rush them out, but they can be scored in two turns. You might try some earlier than others, but overall you score agendas in 2 turns.

By simplifying rush and placing it in FA, newer players can use rush as part of FA/kill/Glacier with ease. The reason for the classification was the MAIN way to score agendas and to think about how you can score agendas besides crossing fingers.

Good reflection though :)
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:03 pm

I agree pure rush certainly isn't in a good spot right now and isn't worth including as an archetype all of it's own, I just think a little more clarification on what fast advancing is and how you need to think about the other ways your deck can score (especially now with Clot being a big thing) might be helpful. Eg NEH grail - strong rush backup plan, HB with Caprice - strong glacier backup plan, but both able to FA out if the conditions are right.

I don't really understand what you're saying about 'score in 2 turns' tbh, aren't all decks try to score agendas in 2 turns? Except for the very occasional weird and wonderful Man Up/mega beale/GoTa deck nobody is leaving an agenda out for more than 1 runner turn.
MouseChan

Postby MouseChan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:22 am

I'm doing alright (read: well) with a hybrid rush deck. Hybrid in that it cleans up with some FA and punishes agressive runners/faust with SE.
Social Media guru for Netrunners.co.uk

Legenadry girl hacker with awesome hair

2x Bradford SC 1x Leeds SC winner
SmoothCoop

Postby SmoothCoop » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:14 am

True...in 2 turns might be install TFP and then next turn Tol/Tol/adv. It gives newer players a bit more choice on how to score agendas rather than 1 turn only. FA requires certain tools to make agenda scoring a priority.

As for a rush/FA deck - we'll come onto hybrid and mid-range decks in 2 month's time. For now, sticking with 1 strategy is the plan. Would love to include your deck for the article :D
jfrey89

Postby jfrey89 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:07 am

Hi there!

I'm really enjoying this series and I hope you continue it. It's been a tremendous help to both me and my girlfriend as we expand into learning how to build our own decks.

Would you be willing to expand upon the idea of "buddy cards" that you discuss in the article? As an exercise, I was looking through early datapack and attempting to guess a buddy card whenever an Identity was present. First up was Whizzard in What Lies Ahead and I was already stumped. There's nothing from that datapack that jumps out at me. I expanded my scope to the entire Genesis cycle and the only Anarch card that really screamed "Whizzard!" was "Scrubber" but that doesn't seem synergistic as much as it seems overkill on recurring credits to trash cards.

I also took a stab at "Weyland: Because We Built It" and guessed "Tyrant" as they occur in the same datapack, however any of the advanceable ice seem to be buddy cards for BWBI.

Thanks for all your work!
Nemamiah

Postby Nemamiah » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Imp is theoretically the buddy card to Whizzard. He trashes assets, Imp trashes everything else.

In truth though, it's fairly weak (possibly even anti) synergy. FFG have got a lot better at this in the more recent packs, though some pairings are clearer and more synergistic than others. It's also not always one card; if the ID is particularly left field they may get a range of cards to support them. Think Geist and disposable breakers, or as you said BWBI and all the advanceable ice in the cycle.
Will dance for Laurie Points

Return to “Site Article Discussion”