On Etiquette

Moderator: Brendan

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MasterAir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

On Etiquette

Postby MasterAir » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 am

So yesterday I came across a dilemma. If you steal a Quantum Predictive Kitty and then use your mad gamer DJing skills to swap it with an Astroscript Pilot Program do you Choo! Choo! or Meow?

I think that particular play (which my student made against Net Celeb Calimsha when I was mentoring yesterday evening) might be the best (vicarious) feeling in Netrunner.

I think something like this probably happened. Although with better MS Paint skills.

Also, if you haven't checked out the mentoring program on Stimhack, you totally should. It was a really good time.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
GuyCliquil

Re: On Etiquette

Postby GuyCliquil » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:01 am

There is something amusing about an Anarch asking about etiquette. Like all Anarch etiquette issues I thought the standard response is to stick your middle finger up to your opponent, set their side of the table on fire, smoke a cigarette, then listen to grunge metal.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Also, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy than Calimsha.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:00 pm

GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:05 pm

See, that's where I've been going wrong. Classic Shaper/Criminal precision strikes.
The Praetor of Jank
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:20 pm

I think there is no real outline for what happens in a mentoring session. But the idea is simply the student wants to improve their game and the mentor is willing to help.

In the session I had yesterday evening, we played a couple of games on Jinteki.net with slightly more openness about what we had, what the possible lines of attack were and the reads you could or couldn't make about the board state. After each of those games we had a debrief and discussed how my student could improve his play. Then we played 2 headed after asking on the Stimhack Slack channel if anyone was about for a game. So we discussed what we could do, what we thought the unrezzed cards were, based on previous accesses etc.

I felt I learned a lot from talking through my thought process, and I got a bit lucky with some of my guesses of what installed cards were. ('That's the wraparound you just saw on R&D in front of an Astro, we should install d4v1d and run the remote' was pretty prophetic).

I wasn't sure I was qualified to be a mentor, but it turns out I can talk a lot. I find I make better reads and decisions when I'm not playing anyway. I guess because there's less mental overhead making sure the board state is correct. Maybe just because I think about more possible lines of play. It worked really well. I think time commitment required is a netrunner session per week. If you're on the fence I'd recommend it. I don't think anyone is going to be too sad if it turns out not to work for you for whatever reason.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Johno

Postby Johno » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Return to “Oxford”