Weekly Casual Meetup

Moderator: Brendan

ChrisDavie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Weekly Casual Meetup

Postby ChrisDavie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 pm

There will be weekly meetups on Thursdays in Thirsty Meeples from now on. Anyone is free to turn up and take part, from the newest players to the most experienced. Will mostly just be open duelling, and advice on deckbuilding can also be sought. Will start in the afternoon from about 12 onwards and go on into the evening for people coming from work.
JasonWelsh

Re: Weekly Casual Meetup

Postby JasonWelsh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:20 am

I'd expect to be there from mid day any given week as well, so there's a good chance of finding an opponent between Chris and myself.

Jason
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 am

So tempted to drive down on a Thursday afternoon, curse this student life! :)
ChrisDavie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ChrisDavie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:06 am

We'd love to have you :)
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 am

Dave, if you do want to let me know as i've got a lot of holiday to use up.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Gah, more temptation :)
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm helping! Honest...
Ollie

Postby Ollie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:39 pm

How long into the evening are people usually playing until? Picked up the game last week and thinking of coming after work.
whitingjp

Postby whitingjp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm not sure if there is a *normal* time just yet, but late afternoon/evening suits me best, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So as long as Thirsty Meeples doesn't fill out entirely I expect there's a good chance of finding a game if you turn up in the evening

Jonathan
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:35 pm

It's going to be an all day thing. I will aim to be there from 12 onwards while I am still able to. I'll also generally stay until the end of the night.
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Also just to say, last week was the first casual Thursday meetup and we had 9 different people over the course of the day. There is definitely a very strong community for Netrunner building in Oxford. Getting games in should never be a problem. Hoping to hit at least 16 for the store Champs.
Radish

Postby Radish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 am

Hoping to get there next week! For those wondering about times, for me it will be an after work thing, so I wouldn't make it before 19.00 hrs I guess, and probably stay until about 22.00 hrs.
maccy

Postby maccy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello! I'm going to be there tomorrow (6th) from 17:30-18:00.
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am

Me and Jason are aiming to be in around midday today.
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Week 2 was another success. Had 9 different people show up again over the course of the day, including 2 new people. Same time again next week :)
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 am

Another successful Thursday down. Had 11 different people play netrunner over the day including 3 new people, 2 of them new to netrunner completely and playing their first games! Thanks to everyone for coming and see you again next week :)
maccy

Postby maccy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:31 am

MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:53 am

Enjoyed meeting a few folk yesterday. Though sadly I could only stay for 1 game. I'm going to try to come after work next week. Sadly I can't make the store cup at the weekend. Maybe next time.
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Thursday meetup will on as normal this week.

For the future it might become necessary to move this meetup to an alternate location with the cafe being packed most nights. I like supporting the store but if we're simply taking tables away from other customers then we might as well play somewhere else. What we might end up doing is meeting in the cafe during the day then move to an alternative location at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative locations or a strong preference for staying at the cafe?
whitingjp

Postby whitingjp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Yeah, makes sense to me. Some suggestions follow. They're all pubs because I know Oxford pubs better than other Oxford venues, and also because pubs usually manage the "who knows how many will turn up or exactly when they will turn up" thing better than most places:

The White Rabbit - Just round the corner from Meeples, pretty nice and yet less rammed than other nearby pubs. Somewhat scattered seating not 100% ideal.
Jericho Tavern - In Jericho (surprise), board game friendly, good seating if you can grab it. A little pricey.
The Punter - Nice place, good seating. Sometimes runs folk sessions which can get the place pretty rammed on unusual nights (not sure if there's a pattern that can be avoided here).
Either Chequers or All Bar One on the high street - Both pretty soul-less, but potentially practical.

I guess there's nothing to stop us trying a few different places over a few weeks, and seeing if one of them makes a good home.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:11 am

ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Will be great to see another new face on Thursday :)
Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:13 pm

I came, I saw... I was trashed. :D

I popped along on Thursday and was soon embroiled in a blistering three games of Netrunner. Top banana schooling, very friendly atmos, and a super location made for a very pleasant afternoon. I'll be back next Thursday for sure.

Cheers!
ChrisDavie

Postby ChrisDavie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks for coming along :)
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07 am

The learning curve in this game is pretty brutal if you jump in at the deep end like you have Pete, don't be too disheartened :)

This is a good thing though, just goes to show that most of the time (if not almost all the time), the more experienced, talented player will win. There's always elements of luck, but there's so many little and large decisions to make in an average game of Netrunner; the better decision maker will always have the edge.

Though obviously the reason why Cerberus beats us over and over again is purely luck ;)

Return to “Oxford”