Weekly Casual Meetup

Moderator: Brendan

Brendan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Weekly Casual Meetup

Postby Brendan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:48 am

To follow up to tournament play - here are things that are ideal. I don't always do all these things, but I certainly should.

Keep the game state very clear. Place credits arranged clearly, ideally swapping five small tokens to a large 5 token whenever you can. If you're using non-standard credits, make sure they are clear for the opponent to read. I played against someone recently who had small burgandy things for 1 credit, slightly larger but otherwise identical burgandy things for 2 credits, and larger still but almost identical burgandy things for 5 credits. Then he stacked them on his ID. In a casual game I'm probably just going to sigh and give up knowing what your credit pool is; in a tournament I'd probably tell you to use something different.

If you're using dice, think carefully. At Brighton someone moved their four dice determining the credit total, and dropped them. We could reconstruct the gamestate (I think?), but you're just asking for trouble if you do this. If you're using a 20 sided dice for anything, consider what happens if the table is knocked.

Ideally track clicks. If you don't track clicks, announce 'click 1...click 2..' for each of your moves. Reduce short-cuts to a minimum - e.g. pay 2 for Dirty Laundry, remove them from your credit pool. Resolve the run. Then take the 5 from Dirty Laundry.

When paid ability windows are present (which may be any time, given Street Peddler and face down cards) pass priority back and forth correctly. "Mandatory draw...any response? Click one, install. Any response? Click two, advance. Any response?". Yes, this is a pain but it's time we all got used to it.

Mostly, slow down and do everything right if you've got a big fancy rig with huge amounts of start of turn triggers. (Noise players: that means you.)

Try to have fun. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, and winning this children's game is not so important as enjoying it. Even if you do all of the above wrong, nothing 'really bad' will happen. The worst that can possibly happen is someone will say 'Can you do X differently? I can't follow'.
thepandalion

Postby thepandalion » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:21 am

I found these tournament tips useful, thanks both!
Nekader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nekader » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Aiming for a half 5 arrival today.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:22 pm

Me too!
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey! Any folks coming tonight? I think I should be able to make it. I'm guessing Old Hollywood isn't out yet?
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Old Holywood is out!

I'll be bringing the random IDs that Jonny has assigned me for the next Reading tournament: Nasir and GRNDL. What fun!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:05 pm

I am doing the same but will be slightly later than usual because I left said decks at home, which is not the best start to a Netrunner evening I have ever heard of.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Running super late but should be there in about half an hour...
Andy G

Postby Andy G » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 am

Is it on tonight? Hoping so as I haven't managed a game in months

Andy
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 am

It's always on! See you guys there tonight!
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:42 am

Bowing out tonight as I am exhausted from being a fake roman. Have a good one!
Andy G

Postby Andy G » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Cool I'll be there from 5 ish
Andy G

Postby Andy G » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks for the games guys. Considering my complete lack of anything that resembled good play skills, yes I managed to repeated run R&D and then play a Medium and Run again....I scraped together a 50:50 win loss rate. Hopefully it won't be six months before my next games with you guys.

Andy

P.S. Next up is more Jank

Cybernetics and possibly the return of the professor........
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Anyone spot a red deck box full of card sleeves I might have left behind?
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm not certain but I feel like Stu and I should have spotted it if it was there - I had crap all over that table by the end so upon leaving I had to have a bird's eye view. Not certain though.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Tournament tomorrow; check the mini tournament thread for details and Facebook event link.
Sincil Banks

Postby Sincil Banks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:37 pm

I'll be there tonight...
thepandalion

Postby thepandalion » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 am

Tourney was a lot of fun, sorry you had to leave early Ben! Enjoyable games, was fun trying to beat stu butchershop with leela, pressure was good but still got scorched.. Maybe more pressure next time? ;) noisemill pwned me too as lamprey somehow kept me poor (and that card just sounds like an innocent pokemon...)

Was good to play rich for the first time too, close games and both ended up with some lucky rnd mills xD I look forward to the next one!
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:22 am

Good fun last night!

The highlight for me was staring down Ben's NEH, that had two Corporate Towns rezzed and trashing my resources! I don't think I was going to be installing resources that game ever again...
Sincil Banks

Postby Sincil Banks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:05 am

Good fun as well,

Sorry I had to bail out the last round, it was clear I couldn't finish it before my last "useful" train so rather than start and not finish the round I thought it would be better to leave between rounds...
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:16 pm

No worries!

Next time we're aiming for a Sunday morning. Hopefully we'll get a bigger turnout as a bonus of being able to run another round or two.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

Johno

Postby Johno » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:16 pm

pruneface

Postby pruneface » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Anyone going to Quinn's tourney this weekend? I haven't touched a netrunner card in yonks so I have no idea what I'm doing, but I plan to go. I take it Universe o' Tomorrow isn't actually out yet?
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:06 am

I'm away this weekend and likely not present Monday either (but I might be!).

Tomorrow isn't out yet. Good luck at Quinn's!

Return to “Oxford”