Weekly Casual Meetup

Moderator: Brendan

Andy G
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Weekly Casual Meetup

Postby Andy G » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I'll be there tonight from about 5 ish.

I'll have a pre paid Rhena deck and a janky CT deck as for the corp I'm trying something different so instead of playing the sideways shell game that I'm so fond of its time to build ice walls up to the sky.

Andy
pruneface
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby pruneface » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Not sure if I'm gonna be there tonight, if I am I should be able to arrive at about 6-7.

S
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 pm

#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:30 pm

chewie

Postby chewie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Sadly can't make it tonight but I'll hopefully be back the following week for some more beatings
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 pm

What is up with the world giving me bad advice these days?

Del La Soul told me that : I ran against Dan's GRNDL with just 3 cards in hand at the end of my turn. Dan looks me straight in the eye, cold as a Finnish witch's nipple on Walpurgis Night, and tells me that "Pete, three is not a good number." I'm just about to school Dan about De La Soul... and then he SEA Source and Scorches me!

Screw you De La Soul!!!

My burning rage was soothed by the residual warm glow of me chaining out a steady stream of Astros to win our previous game. Chaining those Astros... damn, that shizzle is sweeter than the happy accident of a jar of honey and a naked cabin boy called Fernando. (And that's plenty sweet.)

In other news, I savoured the heady delights of VENGEANCE as Edward Kim took a hammer to my nemesis Guy's Personal Evolution. Saying "I run [R&D|HQ]... I trash it" is satisfying as all heck. What's not so great is only having single accesses in both games I've played. I've got 2x Nerve Agent and 2x Medium in the deck but they evaded my draw. Playing Kim is pretty fun.

I missed Stuart! Come back soon man. Seb returned! Sadly the glory days of Seb energetically "ProCo'ing out a Clone Chip into an SMC into a Deus X Maximum Punk Rock" have gone with the winter... will his like ever be seen again?

Brendan is going to the Reading tourney this weekend. (Probably.) On reflection I'm going to swerve it: I'm really enjoying my running at the moment so I'm going to chain out my first half marathon of the year.

If you want to follow Brenlactus's exploits at the tourney and keep up to date with NetRunner tips, bi-cycling news, and fine cookery on a cosmic scale then be sure to follow The NeoReading Grid's casts The Oxford Massive as "evil." Like... damn, that kind of slur cannot go unanswered.

Quote of the night: "My bum cheeks need a good firming up." Thanks Guy, good to know :lol: ;) (The metal chairs in Thirsty Meeples are diabolical, perhaps even satanic. My arse says no and so should yours.)

On that note, laters!!!
whitechapel

Postby whitechapel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:12 am

Also good games for me last night. Was wondering why my legs were so stiff this morning and then remembered a) the chairs and b) racing Brendan and a bus up Headington Hill at quarter to 11...

-w
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 am

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 am

I think the race was forfeit due to the grumpy bus driver who honked his horn a lot, despite there being a perfectly good, clear road to overtake us in. Which he eventually did.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:47 am

Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:51 am

It's like you've seen my peanut butter rich diet or something.
Filip

Postby Filip » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 am

Hey guys, just a question.

At TM we now have the spring kit and a fair bit of leftover from the winter kit (playmat, AA Weyland BABW, AA Plascretes, deckboxes), we have enough stuff to be giving it away at a faster pace. My question is if you'd like:
-more events - every 3 weeks, biweekly, or maybe declare a winner each casual play evening?
-more prizes at the mini-tournaments

Let me know what you think!
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:42 pm

It would be cool to do more tournaments, but I think some people would actually prefer to get more actual games in on a Monday night. (This is pretty apparent when there's an odd number of players.)

If we're going to do tournaments more often, is there any chance we could actually move tournaments to a different night/day? Alternatively we could start running casual nights on a different night for the week of the mini-tournament.

Any thoughts from people?
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:32 pm

I think once a month on Monday evening seems good. More prizes seems fun to me. It's pretty standard for GNK tournaments to have a participation prize (Plascrete from the winter kit) and then first/second get their choice of mat/alt-art rare then third/fourth get a deckbox. Have the mini-tournaments not gone in this direction?

Yesterday evening we didn't have enough space. I think there were a number of occasions that 2 or more people were waiting for a game. I haven't been that much recently (stupid trains), is this a common problem for us at TM? I know we fluctuate in numbers a fair amount, is there anything we can organise with TM so we can guarantee we have enough space?

I almost certainly can't come to TM more than one night in a week. I like 'competitive' and casual netrunner. So basically, whatever... I'm game.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Filip

Postby Filip » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 pm

We usually don't have space issues, Easter has been messing with how busy we are on Mondays. I've booked another table for next week so you'll have space for 4 simultaneous games - let me know if I should book more. Sorry for that!

Moving tournaments or NR evenings to different evenings is a little tricky. Tuesday and Wednesday already have regular events on, and Thursdays and Fridays tend to be very busy already. Potentially could do Sunday mornings/afternoons if people were keen?

If we don't want more Monday tourneys, I'll just increase prize pool (oh and I forgot, we got lots of alt art CT around, so it'll basically be a case of everyone competing without one, gets one)
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm

My thoughts is that it can be nice to have both "casual" and the occasional mini tournaments.

Casual play allows for more experimentation, and I feel that people tend to bring more "interesting" decks than they might do to a tournament, however casual it was.

Someone, might, for instance make a deck made with as many dogs as possible. And win with it. :P (Probably worth noting that it was playing against another deck that I feel would probably only have been brought along in the spirit of experimentation and fun over desire for victory).

It is also nice on casual nights that people can come for different lengths of time, that there is time for discussion after games, and any number of things the mini tournament would find difficult to facilitate.

If there was "stuff" up for grabs I'd probably focus at least a little more on trying to win, which is nice to do once a month or so, but I do like the casuals' complete lack of pressure to succeed.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
chewie

Postby chewie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:23 pm

Hows about having a theme to each of the tournaments like restrictions ie no Astros, or no more flatlining stu night :) or maybe an order and chaos night using only those ids would be cool or just simple back to basics core set only night maybe?
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 am

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:22 am

Anyone up for an earlier start tomorrow? It's Easter Monday so I'm free from ~3PM onwards.
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:35 am

I'm off frolicking about elsewhere, so I won't be around this Monday. Have a good 'un!
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Should be able to - do we have a table from then auto? Or does booking need to occur etc?
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
chewie

Postby chewie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm driving down from doncatraz but I'll try and get down as early as poss prob 4 ish
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Sure, I'll come down for 3pm or so as well. We should have at able in the evening, but I don't know about the daytime...

Return to “Oxford”