Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Moderator: Brendan

Pete

Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:19 am

Our former friends in the south rally to the Lannister banner! Kings Landing echoes to the sounds of craven dogs from Reading trumpeting their leader Lord James! With his trusted jester Ruby Johno scampering close behind, will this house of ne'erdowells and vagrants win the Iron Throne?

Eclectic Games is hosting a tourney to rock on with the recently released A Game of Thrones LCG 2nd Edition.

£5 Entry.

Introductory tournament for the new edition of Game of Thrones LCG.

We'll use the GenCon Kingslayer tournament rules so all that is required is a single Core set (and no more!).

I have never played this game, but I welcome any opportunity to trample those Reading curs into the mud. (Or rather, I welcome the opportunity to talk about trampling those dogs into the mud because it's usually me that faceplants.) If those bilge crawling bottom feeders from Bristol are keen for some GoT action I'd also welcome the chance to send them packing back home with tears on their smacked faces.

:lol:

Let Oxford send its regards! Who is with me?
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Panda with issues...

Re: Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:45 am

This will truly be a:

We'll see whose claim is better Pete...

OOC: Looking forward to this, I chose the format for this first tournament so you can basically just buy a core and turn up (though it's obviously appreciated if people read the rules too). It'll be a learning experience for pretty much all of us in Reading, as we don't have any real experience with first edition. As such. I see us as much more like the bumbling Starks, enthusiastic, loyal and violent, but rubbish at what really matters, the game itself. In the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. I foresee much dying from the loyal Bannermen of Reading.

1st ed. veterans are welcome, but be warned, most players who have bought in (I think maybe all in Reading) are noobs, so you probably won't get much competition. The format encourages exploring the whole core set card pool, and deck tweaking on the fly, which should be a fun experience rather than highly competitive (though I'm still going to do everything I can to put Pete's head on a spike).

So call your Bannermen and march Lords of Oxford, we'll meet you in the Field in late November!
chewie

Postby chewie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Just got a core set last week have no idea what i'm doing sounds fun I'll see if i'm off that weekend.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:45 pm

Currently debating making the trip from the depths of Glos'shire... How's parking in reading? If it's anything like Oxford I'm going to look at the trains...
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:12 pm

chewie wrote:Just got a core set last week have no idea what i'm doing sounds fun I'll see if i'm off that weekend.

Hurrah!

I was idly musing about just "Who Is Who" on the bus journey in this morning.

Clearly James from Reading is Thoros of Myr: prone to occasional flashes of divinely inspired brilliance. Johno can only be Theon Greyjoy: his play is likely to be full of wonderful bluster. And Stu must be everyone's favourite dwarf: toiling for so long in the shadow of The Mountain (Brendan) soon he will reveal himself as the consummate player of The Game of Thrones. I believe in you Stu!

Disagree? Have other suggestions? Fire away!

Oh, me? I like to think of myself as that sorcerer that unmanned Varys.

Uh, didn't the sorcerer end up buried alive in a rough wooden box? He doesn't even have a name he's so crap.

Quite.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:17 pm

MartinP wrote:Currently debating making the trip from the depths of Glos'shire.

Woot! It'd be grand to see so many folk from the NetRunner scene there.

ohbutwait... what camp do you declare yourself for? Will you align yourself with the greasy hangdog banner of Reading? Or the shining brilliant samite banner of Oxford that flutters so boldly in the autumn sun?

MartinP wrote:How's parking in reading? If it's anything like Oxford I'm going to look at the trains...

Uh, there's a multi-story car-park just by the train station that I've used before. Not aware of others. Training it is probably best 'cos then you can get some games + banter in on the train like me and Stu'll be doing. Plus you can have a drink and a greasy kebab after the tourney ends.

:D
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:12 pm

It's past time we put up a 700 foot wall of ICE to keep these northern wild men out.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Johno wrote:It's past time we put up a 700 foot wall of ICE to keep these northern wild men out.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Badinage aside -- honestly, I think I'm all bantered out after that GIF :? -- here's the tutorial video about aGoT 2E from FFG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1s54Wlgfyo

I'll likely pick up a core set this week. Game on!
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Pete wrote:
chewie wrote:Just got a core set last week have no idea what i'm doing sounds fun I'll see if i'm off that weekend.

Hurrah!

I was idly musing about just "Who Is Who" on the bus journey in this morning.

Clearly James from Reading is Thoros of Myr: prone to occasional flashes of divinely inspired brilliance. Johno can only be Theon Greyjoy: his play is likely to be full of wonderful bluster. And Stu must be everyone's favourite dwarf: toiling for so long in the shadow of The Mountain (Brendan) soon he will reveal himself as the consummate player of The Game of Thrones. I believe in you Stu!

Disagree? Have other suggestions? Fire away!

Oh, me? I like to think of myself as that sorcerer that unmanned Varys.

I'll likely pick up a core set this week. Game on!

We got 6 more in today. You're definitely Littlefinger you filthy shit stirrer Pete!

MartinP wrote:Currently debating making the trip from the depths of Glos'shire... How's parking in reading? If it's anything like Oxford I'm going to look at the trains...

http://www.reading-travelinfo.co.uk/park-and-ride/madejski-stadium.aspx

Check out the park and rides. The one near Majeski stadium is probably convenient if you're coming off the motorway and I think it's about £3 for a ticket, buses stop at about 8pm I think and we should be done by 6pm. Parking in Reading town centre will ruin you, probably 15-20 quid for the whole day. Unless you're car sharing with 3-4 people I expect that's unpalatable. Like Pete's sausage.
Last edited by Panda with issues... on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:23 pm

Johno wrote:It's past time we put up a 700 foot wall of ICE to keep these northern wild men out.

And don't be stupid Johno. Ice Wall will never stop Brendan for long!
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Pete wrote:
MartinP wrote:Currently debating making the trip from the depths of Glos'shire.

Woot! It'd be grand to see so many folk from the NetRunner scene there.

ohbutwait... what camp do you declare yourself for? Will you align yourself with the greasy hangdog banner of Reading? Or the shining brilliant samite banner of Oxford that flutters so boldly in the autumn sun?

Training it is probably best 'cos then you can get some games + banter in on the train like me and Stu'll be doing. Plus you can have a drink and a greasy kebab after the tourney ends.

Declare myself? Certainly!

I am the Hedge Knight of Glos'Shire, and I'm going to come win glory and riches, should any House (noble or otherwise) wish to have my loyalty, I'll see what you're offering me :D
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Just as a quick point, we're trying to arrange a regular monthly time for Thrones in the Eclectic events calendar.

Is anyone vehemently against the second sunday of every month? (I was going to call it 'Second Suns'. Nerd cred for anyone who gets the ref.
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Second Sunday works for me, good stuff.

I had a gander at the various factions last night. Lannister looks aggravating with lots of hand demolishing and general denial.

Greyjoy looks rushy. I might plump for them in the first blush. The colour of Martel appeals, but it also looks to be playing the long game.

And you?
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Pete wrote:Second Sunday works for me, good stuff.

I had a gander at the various factions last night. Lannister looks aggravating with lots of hand demolishing and general denial.

Greyjoy looks rushy. I might plump for them in the first blush. The colour of Martel appeals, but it also looks to be playing the long game.

And you?

For Elia!

I was playing a Martell deck with Banner of the Watch last night, and my soft spot for the Targaryen loyalist Sand Snakes means they're likely to be a popular one for me, along with the Lannisters and Greyjoys. The colouration and art on the Greyjoy cards is actually a joy to behold, but there's so much good stuff in the set. I love Blood Orange Grove, Targaryen Loyalist, Illyrio's estate, Doran's game, Dornish Paramore, We do not sow, there's just so much art that is awesome. My favourite piece is Fire and Blood though.

I feel like out of a single core, Baratheon, Night's watch and Targaryen look a bit weaker than the other factions due to high reliance on specific cards. The core set has almost no multiples, so trying to find a lynchpin of your deck like Melisandre, The Wall, John Snow and Daenerys is very hard. In contrast the other factions aren't so worried about finding specific cards (or in the case of the Lannisters and Greyjoys, have so many good ones it kind of doesn't matter).

I feel like you can't go wrong with Lannisters as a main or a banner. So much extra gold generation, and Casterley Rock and Lannisport provide extra intrigue and draw to maximise card advantage. Unlike in netrunner, drawing cards is much more difficult, so this is a strong strategy. Jaime and Tyrion are not loyal, and so you can splash some of their better characters and gold generation without worrying too much. The Tyrells are just really solid across the board, and The Bear and The Maiden Fair looks like a bonkers card when it's so hard to draw through this kind of effect. I got massive draw advantage using Olenna and The Mander. I'm not a massive fan of the Starks (though thematically they're great, with almost no intrigue icons, true to the books in terms of how shit they are at The Only Game that Matters), but I did kill 4 characters of my opponent in 1 turn using a 2 claim plot, winter is coming and discarding Ice, so there are some paths available. Stealth is massive, and the Greyjoys look really effective. Lordsport Shipwright is just annoying as fuck, and their in built abilities to mess with key locations seem strong to me at least. The night's watch can deal with stealth well as long as they can find Benjen and other Rangers, so that's a solution to Greyjoy stealth rush (part of the reason I bannered them to my Martell deck). The Red Keep (Baratheon) might be the best card in the Core Set, and with multiple cores Baratheon looks very scary, because you can find Melisandre early and start to just fuck with your opponent's cards, which is highly frustrating.

I will say the neutral card selection looks amazing, and well thought out. I the netrunner core there are a lot of cards that were flat out garbage or very situational, particularly in the neutral card pool (looking at you, Access to GlobalSec). The neutral cards in Thrones look to try to offer players a chance to mitigate some of their weaknesses (little bird, noble lineage, Syrio's training) or give EVERYONE access to powerful effects like Varys, Wildfire Assault, draw and gold generation (Littlefinger, Roseroad etc), character mitigation in Tears of Lys/Milk of the Poppy.

Deck building wise I'm having fun. I have NO IDEA what needs to go in decks in terms of economy, number of characters etc. I'm avoiding netdecking because I personally believe these things are best learned on your own, at least at the start of a new game, so that you have a ground level understanding of what the game actually requires. I expect to be punished at the start, but end up with a better overall feel for the game. It took me ~6 months to work out these kind of fundamentals for netrunner and I don't expect it to be any easier here. Less so probably, because unlike in Netrunner, where you have the agency to click for cards and credits, or Conquest, where you can acquire resources based on predefined board state (allocating units to planatary resources which are a fundamental economy engine of the game), here you have neither option. Most of your money is generated via your plot deck, which is like having to build a critical deck within a deck with synergy with your actual card choices.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:48 am

Panda with issues... wrote:I feel like out of a single core, Baratheon, Night's watch and Targaryen look a bit weaker than the other factions due to high reliance on specific cards.

I haz mai corez. Shizzle is on like DK.

Panda with issues... wrote:I feel like you can't go wrong with Lannisters as a main or a banner. So much extra gold generation, and Casterley Rock and Lannisport provide extra intrigue and draw to maximise card advantage. The Tyrells are just really solid across the board, and The Bear and The Maiden Fair looks like a bonkers card when it's so hard to draw through this kind of effect.

Damn dude, loving your steepage in the shizzle. The way you're speaking I feel I'm going to be schooled in this tourney. (Happily it is just one core set.) I'll have to pop along on Tuesday nights for some pre-tourney action to get my hand in. I'm keen to play Netrunner again too, but some GoT on Tuesday night would be most excellent.

If I popped along to Eclectic Games next Tuesday would there be some GoT action on the go? I'll have NetRunner decks with me too but I'd prefer to get some Thrones in.

Panda with issues... wrote:I expect to be punished...

Good! 'cos I am all set to spank you.

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:52 am

I have decks built with 3 cores right now, but I'll bring them next Tuesday. If you only have 1 core can you bring all your cards and I can borrow to create the prebuilt starter decks so I don't need to deconstruct?
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 pm

I already have 3 core sets so we will have to play hard from the off. Go home or go large, it's the only way I roll. (Well that and #yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe.)

A full set of Lordsport Shipwright coming right your way since I know you like them so much. :lol:

I enjoy playing games face-to-face but deck-building bores me to tears. (Each to their own.) I pottered about building my own decks for far too long in NetRunner and didn't enjoy a minute of it: I will thus be packing netdecks culled from the excellent Game of Thrones DB.

YOLO!
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:38 pm

Pete wrote:
I enjoy playing games face-to-face but deck-building bores me to tears. (Each to their own.) I pottered about building my own decks for far too long in NetRunner and didn't enjoy a minute of it: I will thus be packing netdecks culled from the excellent Game of Thrones DB.

YOLO!

5 minutes on there and I remember how much of a bell end Dydra is.
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:15 pm

James was asked to pay the iron price. He came up short, tantalisingly so. Bolton's bastard was visiting the Isles so the flayed skins of James's vassals now serve as sails.

Good night of gaming at Electic Games's CCG night. I got in ~4 hours and as many games of A Game Of Thrones 2nd Edition. Sam taught me the ropes and then James and I got stuck in. Cheers lads!

Here are my snap thoughts after exactly 4 games of AGoT2E.

• It's fun.
  • Gameplay process is pretty straightforward; turns fly by once you've got it down.
  • Feels a bit swingy, high variance. Deckbuilding such that you can consistently see a card feels tough in a game with limited card drawing ability and a 60-cards minimum deck size. Maybe I just need to play the tutoring plot.
  • Milk of the Poppy is so powerful right now.
  • In a game with such limited draw, hand destruction seems awesome.
James's Martell deck seemed both fun and strong. I got lucky by sniping 2xDoran's Game from his hand which would've closed out the game for him easy.

I'll be back next week with some more tutoring and what draw I can snaffle up.

@James: here's a thread about the rules question we had: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/145753 ... e-copy-was
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:00 am

Pete wrote:James was asked to pay the iron price. He came up short, tantalisingly so. Bolton's bastard was visiting the Isles so the flayed skins of James's vassals now serve as sails.

Good night of gaming at Electic Games's CCG night. I got in ~4 hours and as many games of A Game Of Thrones 2nd Edition. Sam taught me the ropes and then James and I got stuck in. Cheers lads!

Here are my snap thoughts after exactly 4 games of AGoT2E.

• It's fun.
  • Gameplay process is pretty straightforward; turns fly by once you've got it down.
  • Feels a bit swingy, high variance. Deckbuilding such that you can consistently see a card feels tough in a game with limited card drawing ability and a 60-cards minimum deck size. Maybe I just need to play the tutoring plot.
  • Milk of the Poppy is so powerful right now.
  • In a game with such limited draw, hand destruction seems awesome.
James's Martell deck seemed both fun and strong. I got lucky by sniping 2xDoran's Game from his hand which would've closed out the game for him easy.

I'll be back next week with some more tutoring and what draw I can snaffle up.

@James: here's a thread about the rules question we had: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/145753 ... e-copy-was

Assuming that's correct, it's good info to know. Pete neglects to tell of the Targaryen beatdown I put on him in a triumphant return from Essos, but the second game was great, on a knife edge, and Pete finally managed to close it out despite all my tricks.

'Got milk?' seems to be a primary deck construction question now.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 am

Sam's milk left a sour taste in my mouth and you can tell him that.

BEST CARD NAME EVAR!

I've now exhausted my childish delight about this card's name and more saner, adult commentary follows.

I need to play more, but Confiscation seems like a damn good plot. Having a power character like Tyrion or Balon milked feels very aggravating. (I probably need to get over that.) Milked characters still have their stats, but if your deck builds on an ability like Melisandre's then milk can be devastating. Naturally, I run 3x Milk in my own decks.

Need more draw. Those Greyjoy Warships really did work for me because I was able to choose to draw or gain Power asit suited. If I hadn't drawn that Warship then I'd likely have lost because your Iron Throne was worth, what, 4-5 Power to you in total?

Yeah, your Targaryen deck smashed those Martells, good stuff James. I'll note that you did snipe Doran's Game from my hand when I was on 10 Power: the Martell ability to surge a bazillion Power in a single powerplay turn rocks. I'll revisit the deck in light of the play experience you gave me, cheers. I'm naturally a turtle player so Martell appeals: I felt very exposed when playing the aggressive Greyjoy deck.

Thank you for your comments and insight which helped the Greyjoys to victory; that last game was #excellente
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 pm

I've acquired a better date in December for a first attempt at a constructed AGoT tournament.

So if you miss the chance to put Pete's head on a spike at the aforementioned Kingslayer event, you can at least throw some

my way...

Something something Oxford... something something moron....blah blah appendage.... rabblerabble pig's head.

Etc.

:lol:

Details below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1649216198696898/
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:06 pm

So as I've failed to secure a ticket to the Charity event in sheffield on the 28th, guess I'll have to rock up to Reading for Game of Thrones instead and take all the prizes for myself, for the glory of Gloucestershire gamers

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:17 pm

We'd be pleased to host a knight from afar at the joust Ser.

Return to “Oxford”