Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Moderator: Brendan

Pete

Re: Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:17 am

Panda with issues... wrote:I've acquired a better date in December for a first attempt at a constructed AGoT tournament.

Hurrah! Good work James, I'll almost certainly be there. (It's Dragonmeet the week before, anyone else going to that?)

Panda with issues... wrote:We'd be pleased to host a knight from afar at the joust Ser.

James can host, I will hoist... the corpses of hedge knights over the walls sides of our Iron Isles warships. Huzzah!

This blog has some good reading on it. If you stumble across good links do share.
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 am

Last night's AGoT games were rather unsatisfying.

James and I "split" our two games: he played Fealty Baratheon versus my Fealty Greyjoy and got a lovely start of The Red Keep and Melisandre. My characters were knelt pretty much the whole game: Balon, Theon, Asha, with their Stealth are all great but they do nothing if they're knelt. I think James scored 15 Power to my 2 Power after ~6 Turns.

Aw.

We then sapped, with me playing my Fealty Bara to James's Fealty Targaryen. Frustratingly, the game was another wholly one-sided affair as the previously undefeated Targaryen deck was knelt into submission by Baratheon. I think I got the 15 Power after ~6 turns and James had 2-3 Power.

The Red Keep is strong. Card draw is good -- duh -- and it gives you more R'hllor to keep feeding Melisandre with.

ImageImage

Later that night I played Joy, who was playing AGot for the firsttime. Naturally, Joey had scouted the web for the top deck archetypes and had brought... fealty Baratheon. Sadly, the game against my Fealty Greyjoy played out much like the preceding games. Joey got a great start with The Red Keep and Melisandre out straight away and I was denied the ability to do anything what with all the kneeling and Joey'd 4 cards-per-turn draw feeding him with options. I think I lost this one 15-0.

Feeling vaguely chastened, we swapped decks to play the reverse matchup. I got a bad draw and worse mulligan as Baratheon, with no Red Keep and no Melisandre: the Summons Plot I played to find Melisandre yielded... Shireen which was rather underwhelming. On the other side of the table Joey got a corking start with the Greyjoy "draw cards" location of The Great Kraken and Asha with Theon following soon after. Joey was able to exploit the Stealth of those two characters to give him the advantage before I could get going: my characters were killed with Throwing Axe and Put to the Sword and this time around Joey had the overwhelming draw advantage. I was left gaining Power via the Iron Throne but essentially hoping to top deck a character with my usual 2-card draw every turn. It was pretty one-sided and Joey won 15-6.

I don't mind losing -- really, that's fine -- so long as I feel I get my money's worth in terms of play. The one-sided games were just unsatisfying. It felt difficult to come back from a poor start. In the last game with Joey I did Wildfire Assault to reset the board state somewhat, but that left Joey with Theon, Asha, and some other character and me with 2 Bastards and a Maestyr Cressen: I also had no cards in hand beyond those I top-decked -- both events! -- and Joey had a full hand from previous Red Keep draws: as such, he was able to recover quickly from the reset.

I'm not grumbling here, just laying out the tale of the tape. It's still early days with AGoT. The game feels very snowball-y at the moment with the luck of the opening draw playing a big role: I don't know if that's really true or wholly fair, but it just feels that way. I'll be back next week for more AGoT action: I'll throw in some anti-Bara tech in the form of The Seal of the Hand and The Hand's Judgement. Dunno, I'll see how it goes.

ImageImage
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 am

As I mentioned at the time my main concern was the decks played them self a bit, with less me making choices and more just doing the best move... I'll bring along cards again next week. Think I'm going to play atleast up until the December tournement
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:22 am

The first chapter pack has a 'tutor location' card, which I think makes decks a little more reliable.

A game of who draws their draw isn't that good. Does Stark/Kraken murder work at all?

I presume James didn't set up just Mel, because Marched to the Wall is a card. If you don't play it, you should.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 pm

MasterAir wrote:The first chapter pack has a 'tutor location' card, which I think makes decks a little more reliable.

Have you got a link to previews of the first chapter pack? All I've seen of it so far is the Team Covenant spoiler of The Hound and Cersei's Wheelhouse.

MasterAir wrote:Does Stark/Kraken murder work at all?

I haven't been playing enough to branch out of Greyjoy/Baratheon yet: only played 8 games in total. I'll have Greyjoy/Baratheon decks with me next Monday if you fancy it.

MasterAir wrote:Marched to the Wall is a card. If you don't play it, you should.

It's a good plot but when James spammed it against me last week I just sent claim soak characters to the Wall.

MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 pm

This has some of the spoiled cards: http://thronesdb.com/set/TtB

The card I was thinking of is support of the people

Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Played a few more games tonight, played with dragons which was fun.. taught my brother with the hope of dragging him on Tuesdays. He wasn't impressed, I won every game.. still I like my dragons so have something non baratheon for next week.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 am

Pete wrote:
MasterAir wrote:Marched to the Wall is a card. If you don't play it, you should.

It's a good plot but when James spammed it against me last week I just sent claim soak characters to the Wall.

Yeah, then your main characters got claimed.

And no, I didn't just set up Melisandre. Had a couple of scrubs too.

Starting one big card is asking to get marched, it's like always playing A Noble Cause turn one is asking to get countered with Naval Superiority.
Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:39 am

Panda with issues... wrote:
Pete wrote:

Yeah, then your main characters got claimed.

And no, I didn't just set up Melisandre. Had a couple of scrubs too.

Starting one big card is asking to get marched, it's like always playing A Noble Cause turn one is asking to get countered with Naval Superiority.

Except no one plays naval superiority.
Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 am

I can confirm that none of the decks I have netdeck'd has Naval Superiority. (And I netdeck all my decks.)

I'm getting into AGoT now, proper itching to scub Joey and James. I've played more games of it than Doomtown. (Still a bit of a shame about that, I am drawn to Doomtown like sand on the beach is drawn to the bum crack of my speedos.) AGoT feels swing-y but I reckon that's down to n00b-osity. I haven't found any decent blogs or the like to crash-course into strategy yet, damn.

The game doesn't feel quite as immediately appealing as NetRunner. I dig those micro-payoffs you get in NR when a multi-access R&D run is happening and you're like "COME ON U AGENDA PINATA!!1!" as the Runner and you're "LET THEM EAT ONLY ASHES AND TEARS!" as the Corp. I haven't had moments like that in AGoT because generally all the information is on the board all the time... ambushing hasn't been a big thing yet.

What, you don't internally yell "COME ON U AGENDA PINATA!!1!" when you're on a Maker's Eye run? :oops: :lol:
Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Pete wrote:I'm getting into AGoT now, proper itching to scub Joey and James.

So I have 3 decks now, and I prefferd the games I had last nihgt where I knew what to expect a bit. Things like youve saved 2 credits and probably have that insane murder card so maybe I wont put Dani down like I planned to etc.. Made it feel like it was playing itself less... I am willing to go all in for a time and see how it goes. If you want to meet up and play Pete then I am game.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:08 am

James and I played a corking game of Game of Thrones in Reading tonight: my Greyjoy Fealty versus James's Lannister/Martell. It was another nail-biting 15/14 Power finish with James pipping the win in the end. So good... I wish all the games were like that.

I played Joey later on -- my same Greyjoy versus his Targaryen Fealty -- and Joey got a blinding start with all 3 dragons and Daenerys on the table by turn 2. I was on the back foot the whole game: it was fun but I never felt I was going to come back.

Turns out Joey has not lost a single game to anyone so far. Looks like Joey is the form player to beat in the December tourney. Let's get him! :twisted: :P

Rules Question: if I Milk of the Poppy Daenerys, does she still accrue all the benefits from the dragons? We played that she still did because it is her card that is milked and not the dragons. It meant that milking Daenerys was still worth it but not quite as strong as an effect as you usually expect from a milk play.

ANSWER: we played it correctly.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 am

Pete wrote:James and I played a corking game of Game of Thrones in Reading tonight: my Greyjoy Fealty versus James's Lannister/Martell. It was another nail-biting 15/14 Power finish with James pipping the win in the end. So good... I wish all the games were like that.

I played Joey later on -- my same Greyjoy versus his Targaryen Fealty -- and Joey got a blinding start with all 3 dragons and Daenerys on the table by turn 2. I was on the back foot the whole game: it was fun but I never felt I was going to come back.

Turns out Joey has not lost a single game to anyone so far. Looks like Joey is the form player to beat in the December tourney. Let's get him! :twisted: :P

Rules Question: if I Milk of the Poppy Daenerys, does she still accrue all the benefits from the dragons? We played that she still did because it is her card that is milked and not the dragons. It meant that milking Daenerys was still worth it but not quite as strong as an effect as you usually expect from a milk play.

ANSWER: we played it correctly.

Joey has only played you though, right? :lol:

And yes, there's a specific section in the rulebook clarifying that conferred effects are fine on milked characters. Your text box is blanked, then you gain any additional card text you can acquire.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 am

Panda with issues... wrote:Joey has only played you though, right? :lol:

:x

Laugh it up Salad Lad. I would've pipped that game of thrones against you if it hadn't been for your perfidious treachery. Who knew that great honking warships were so susceptible to noble ladies with fans?

Pete

Ser Brendan, Thy Vassal Returns With News Of Victory!

Postby Pete » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Ser Peter wrote:I bring good news my liege!

Sam from London won the tourney with not a single loss the whole day. Gratz Sam!

My Deck Choices

For this Kingslayer tourney I chose to go with a Greyjoy+Lannister deck. The Kingslayer rules allow you to swap the cards in your deck during rounds and I would have done this but for the fact that I couldn't be arsed sleeving the other faction cards on Friday night. As such, I played with the same Greylan deck the whole day, only varying the Neutral cards and plots depending on what I felt was or was not working.

The Greyjoy faction has powerful characters like Balon, Euron Crow's Eye, and Asha and a lot of cards with the stealth keyword. Stealth was absolutely massive for me on the day, allowing me to land numerous unopposed challenges and game-changing Put To The Sword plays as a result.

The Lannisters are full of gold and characters with Intrigue icons so they nicely complement the relatively Intrigue-free Greyjoys so that's why I plumped for them. Cersei, Jaime, and The Tickler all did good work for me throughout the day.

For my allowance of Neutral cards, I opted for economy in the form of Roseroads, Kingsroads, and a single Iron Throne. The Kingslayer restriction of cards from one core set only meant that there was little scope for "dupes" so I added as much character removal as I could: Tears of Lys, Put To The Sword, and 2x Milk of the Poppy.

The Swiss

Ser Peter wrote:Alas, thy vassal suffered a defeat most grievous in the first sally of the day. Ser Matt, a fine fellow with a hale and hearty laugh, brushed aside my lance and trampled me into the soft loam of the list.

My only loss of the day came in the 1st round in a mirror match! Matt was playing Greyjoy/Lannister and some great play and some good draws saw him rapidly accelerate away. Matt won with 15 Power to my ~7... yeah, it wasn't even close.

I don't mind losing if I feel I had a good shake of the stick. I didn't feel like I was ever really "in" this game. I didn't draw any "power" characters like a Jamie or a Balon and Matt, in a friendly way, just trampled me. (I would have done the same to him.)

I was mildly bummed at this point. :(

Ser Peter wrote:Wounded, more in pride than body, I retired to the Mead Halls of Shakeaway. I was accompanied by Ser Johno who, his purse flush with Lannister gold, bought me what he described as "quite possibly the finest milkshake south of Winterfell." A hot (!) cinnamon and apple pie milkshake restored my courage and I returned to the lists determined to bring glory to thy banner my lord!

My first round loss saw me saddled with a bye.

I moaned about byes in a recent Netrunner Oxford Game Night tourney, but that was mainly because it was "3 rounds of Swiss" and a bye knocks you out of 33% of the hot gaming action. A bye in a "5 rounds of Swiss" tourney still sucks, but it's okay if it comes either before or after lunch: I dislike having to wolf food down in 30 minutes so the hour and a half afforded by the bye meant I could have a leisurely stroll around Reading, do some shopping, and have a relaxed lunch.

Thanks for the milkshake Johno! I'll get yours next time. 8-)

Ser Peter wrote:My opponent in the third sally was the famed Ser Johno. Yea, one of our most bitter enemies thought to end by playing the game of thrones. In the game of thrones you win or you die... and sadly for Ser Johno, he died.

This was a close game! Johno was playing Night's Watch and Baratheon.

I recall winning due to destroying The Wall with a We Do Not Sow and nipping the final points just before Johno did. This was more like it... not because of the winning but because I good crack at playing cards. Johno is always a pleasure to play against -- I like a good flow of banter during a game -- and if I hadn't fired The Wall he likely would have closed out the victory.

I think Johno more than any other person on the day played to the spirit of the Kingslayer format, playing a different combination of factions in each of his games. Good stuff Johno!

Ser Peter wrote:Alack! My opponent in the fourth sally was against the hedge knight from Gloucester. Verily, the same Ser Martin who so roundly thrashed me in the practice lists prior to the start of the tourney proper.

Happily, the lion roared and I was avenged on Ser Martin for my earlier defeat. Ser Martin is a fine knight and I am glad to salute his gracious and brave jousting.

Another close game! Martin and I clashed swords again the fourth round. Having tasted the hell of his Greyjoy+Lannister deck in a pre-tourney game, I was now faced with having to defeat his Night's Watch+? deck.

Martin got all the dire wolves out early and things weren't looking good. A Wildfire Assault stopped Martin from running away with the game, and a subsequent A Storm of Swords alongside a Put To The Sword killed a goodly chunk of his key characters.

I also enjoyed this game because some darn cards got played and I felt we both had a fair crack of the whip. Thanks for the game Martin and thanks also for schooling me about the effects of some cards. You can't milk a direwolf, who knew?

Ser Peter wrote:The final sally of the tourney brought me face to face with a knight unknown to me. Clad in armour of night-black plate that smouldered with the fire of the God of Light, this nameless knight spoke with a voice that echoed of the dead! At the last I thought my courage would falter... but lo, my lance pierced the kinght's blackened plate and saw me emerge victorious!

Curses! I cannot remember my opponent's name. That's rather rum. He was a friendly guy who was playing Night's Watch and Tyrell. A good draw contributed much to my win here. An early Damphair allied to an Iron Throne that always saw me win Dominance meant that I could recur my Ironborn with ease and so I never fell behind to military attrition.

In Closing

Ser Peter wrote:Ser Brendan, I must offer you my blade... take my life for the shame of coming second. If you can find a sliver of pity in your heart to stay the blade for a moment, know that my second place meant that I finished ahead of any of the knights from Reading.

Yea, the prize lock has been maintained! Was this ever really in doubt?

Woot! Second place?!? Obviously that first round loss and the subsequent bye contributed to that placing: the early loss meant I didn't have to face the winners from the the first round. The Kingslayer tournament format is high variance -- lots of the cards in your deck will be singles meaning consistency goes out the window -- but apart from that first round game I felt I got some good licks in.

Many thanks to James and Eclectic Games for running and hosting the tournament. I had a fun day out. It was good to meet Martin in person and some new folks too. I'll be back in a couple of weeks for the constructed Game of Thrones tourney. It's be good to see folk like Reading Sam and Joey there, I missed them.

Interested to hear what other thought. Sing out sisters!

Quotes of the Day

• "Milk that motherfucker!" -- James, playing Milk of the Poppy with some passion.
  • "I prepared for this tourney by playing half a game: it's all I need." -- Martin, just telling it like it is.
  • "This shit is bonkers!!1!" -- Johno discovers the power of Jon Snow + Jorah "The Bear" Mormont
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Heck of a day today. I was pleased with a turnout of 9 for a first, introductory tournament. Thanks to Pete and Martin for travelling. Nice to see some new faces as well as old.

I believe your final opponent was Joe, Pete. Unsurprisingly all of the top four played Lannister for at least some of their games with Martin chopping and changing a little. I think Greyjoy and Lannister are strong out of a single core, and that was borne out by the results.

Final Results were something like:

Sam: 25 prestige Lannister/Tyrell
Pete: 20 Greyjoy/Lannister
George: 15 Greyjoy/Lannister
Martin: 15 Greyjoy/Lannister and Night's Watch/Start (maybe a few others, was chopping and changing)
James: 15 Martell/Tyrell
Joe: 10 Night's Watch/Tyrell
Matt: 10 Greyjoy/Tyrell (I think)
Nick: 10 Targaryen/Lannister
Johno: 5 Played everything.

I lost to Joe and Martin, in some slow but inexorable losses where I just couldn't tilt the balance back toward my favour, Joe in particular crushing the life from my deck.

Wins vs Nick Matt and George. The win in the first round vs George was highly satisfying because it was a hell of a close game, and because George was gunning for the 1st place playmat. Something about 'paying the iron price'. Thirdly I closed it out in epic fashion on a turn 6 Doran's Game! Possibly my favourite card (and most NBN-like)out of the core set.

I was the only one playing Martell, and took massive satisfaction in forcing most opponents to read loads of my cards with 'wtf is this' face. Pete, I trust you paid the iron price and acquired the Ironborn playmat with your stack of store cred?
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 am

James wrote:Pete, I trust you paid the iron price and acquired the Ironborn playmat with your stack of store cred?

I quite forgot. I have somehow amassed a sweet £15 in store credit over the past few weeks so I'll acquire said Ironborn playmat on Tuesday night. It just looks nice and for a price that is essentially free I can't pass it up.

James wrote:I was the only one playing Martell, and took massive satisfaction in forcing most opponents to read loads of my cards with 'wtf is this' face.

Hehe. Care to share why you chose the factions that you did?

Doran's Game is the shiz. The combination of theme -- he's holding a dragon chesspiece -- coupled with the perspective and the intensity of those eyes make for an attractive card. It's also a mechanically ace card too: that play you made against George in the first round was proper quality and thrilling to watch. Paxter Redwyne surely deserves a visit to one of Littlefinger's brothels as reward.

Kinda interesting that most folk didn't take much advantage of the Kingslayer rules around deck swapping. (Johno MVP!) I've already stated my reasons for not doing so -- essentially, too damn lazy to sleeve cards -- so I'm interested in why most other folk didn't take advantage either. I did swap out Plots and my Neutrals depending on who I was matched against.

So, on to another issue that popped up on the day. There were some really good, close, entertaining games... but there were also a number of crushings where one player established an unassailable board state and ran away with the game while their opponent just had to sit there and wait for the agony to end. It's all rather Not Fun and a negative play experience. This occasionally happens in Netrunner but seems much more pronounced in Thrones.

It is somewhat tempering my enthusiasm for the game. Thrones is good when it is good, but rather awful when it is awful and that awfulness pops up far too often. I'm hoping that this swingy-ness is down to a) general inexperience with the game and b) a limited card pool.

Johno was kinda bummed out after being on the receiving end of a few such swingy games. (I was also on the receiving end of a couple of swingy games so I know the feeling.) Johno had some better games later on -- our game was pretty close and had plenty of good back and forth play -- and his final game against Martin was so close and entertaining to watch! I hope Johno'll come back for some more Thrones in the constructed tourney in a couple of weeks.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Pete wrote:Hehe. Care to share why you chose the factions that you did?

I like Martell in the books, and feel like they have a lot of cool cards mechanically, as well as a nice spread of character icons (though the big characters are a little expensive, the smaller ones are really good). The two mechanics I really like are benefiting from losing challenges (sunspear, Caleotte, Ghaston Grey etc) and the timing of the plot deck (Doran's Game, Doran, Dawn). The plot deck is one of the most interesting parts of the game for me, so mucking around with that is fun for me personally. The card art across the board is great for the game, but Doran's game, Blood Orange Grove, Dornish Paramore and Edric Dayne were some of my favourites. I thought there would be a lot of Lannister and Greyjoy, and I wanted to show off a broader range of factions on the day. There was a lot more Tyrell on the day than I expected, but I felt they gave a bit of military strength to the Martells, and Llorys and Margaery are really good. In this format it also let me run Olenna's Cunning, which would let me search my deck for one of the big combo pieces. Finally, I wanted to practice playing as the second player and playing more patiently, which Martell are good for, and I got to do.

Pete wrote:Doran's Game is the shiz. The combination of theme -- he's holding a dragon chesspiece -- coupled with the perspective and the intensity of those eyes make for an attractive card. It's also a mechanically ace card too: that play you made against George in the first round was proper quality and thrilling to watch. Paxter Redwyne surely deserves a visit to one of Littlefinger's brothels as reward.

It is the shiz, and that perfect storm to close out a very tight game which was swinging towards George was probably the best game of Thrones I've had yet.

Pete wrote:Kinda interesting that most folk didn't take much advantage of the Kingslayer rules around deck swapping. (Johno MVP!) I've already stated my reasons for not doing so -- essentially, too damn lazy to sleeve cards -- so I'm interested in why most other folk didn't take advantage either. I did swap out Plots and my Neutrals depending on who I was matched against.

I swapped some plots around, but as TO I wasn't sure I'd have enough time to mess around with chopping and changing and sleeving cards. I think some of the lack of enthusiasm is due to the fact that prob about half of us there have gone full constructed, and couldn't be arsed to reconstruct a single core set from whatever organisation method we'd chosen. That's partly my fault, since the tournament was a little later in the calendar than I wanted, unfortunately, I can only take the dates I can get.

Pete wrote:So, on to another issue that popped up on the day. There were some really good, close, entertaining games... but there were also a number of crushings where one player established an unassailable board state and ran away with the game while their opponent just had to sit there and wait for the agony to end. It's all rather Not Fun and a negative play experience. This occasionally happens in Netrunner but seems much more pronounced in Thrones.

It is somewhat tempering my enthusiasm for the game. Thrones is good when it is good, but rather awful when it is awful and that awfulness pops up far too often. I'm hoping that this swingy-ness is down to a) general inexperience with the game and b) a limited card pool.

Johno was kinda bummed out after being on the receiving end of a few such swingy games. (I was also on the receiving end of a couple of swingy games so I know the feeling.) Johno had some better games later on -- our game was pretty close and had plenty of good back and forth play -- and his final game against Martin was so close and entertaining to watch! I hope Johno'll come back for some more Thrones in the constructed tourney in a couple of weeks.

I think this is somewhat of a feature of the game right now, and I agree it sucks. I will say I was pleasantly surprised by how many close games there were considering the format on the day was bound to be very high variance. I was on the receiving end of one (Joe) and the perpetrator of another (Nick). Nick made a few key mistakes and I put him firmly under the boot heel, and that was definitely a skill/experience disparity. It's by no means the most swingy game I've played (Doomtown), and we need to remember that the card pool right now is limited. These games can feel like the equivalent of a core set netrunner experience where the corp gets hideously flooded, or the runner can't draw a particular breaker. Over time solutions to these issues were acquired in the expanded card pool (Jackson, other less efficient similar effects, SMC, Test Run), so I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like some of the equivalent cards are available in core Thrones (Varys, Wildfire). Interesting to know if people were running 1 or even two wildfires? (Which was legal as there are 2 in the core I think, I was running 1 Wildfire). Some of the more experienced players (Sam, Joe, George) were running Varys, but I'm not sure how many copies. There weren't many slots left after 3x RR and 3x KR for neutral cards if you wanted to keep the number of characters in the deck reasonably realistic, and I tried to keep my deck as thin as possible. I was glad I added the two Superior Claim on Saturday morning though, as they were a major part in the wins I had.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:13 am

Is there any interest in playing the melee format?

Glancing through my box after the tourney I noticed the Title cards and went "oh!" The multiplayer support is what drew me to legend of the Five Rings many moons ago and the multiplayer Thrones format looks like it could be fun. Is anyone up for a one-off evening of Melee Thrones on a Friday night @Eclectic? I should think it'd soak up the majority of the evening.

On a side note, these are the Netrunner UK boards so I don't want to dilute the conversation with posts about Thrones... but at the same time I'm only going to play Thrones with you lot so chatting here seems the natural place. Is there a Thrones.co.uk equivalent or shall I keep posting in this mega thread or should I be posting in the "Off Topic" section?
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Pete wrote:Is there any interest in playing the melee format?

Glancing through my box after the tourney I noticed the Title cards and went "oh!" The multiplayer support is what drew me to legend of the Five Rings many moons ago and the multiplayer Thrones format looks like it could be fun. Is anyone up for a one-off evening of Melee Thrones on a Friday night @Eclectic? I should think it'd soak up the majority of the evening.

On a side note, these are the Netrunner UK boards so I don't want to dilute the conversation with posts about Thrones... but at the same time I'm only going to play Thrones with you lot so chatting here seems the natural place. Is there a Thrones.co.uk equivalent or shall I keep posting in this mega thread or should I be posting in the "Off Topic" section?

I think keeping the discussion here or moving it to the OoT section are both valid options. I like to keep an eye on the Oxford/Reading boards anyway to catch up on the bants!

Myself Dan and Mark might do a wednesday night Melee before christmas, really want to see how the game translates to multiplayer.

Really enjoyed heading east for the Reading Joust, and I'm really interested in coming again (Unfortunately not for the constructed on the 12th, but I'm going to try and make the store champ I think). I'd love to see the UK GoT meta rival the Netrunner UK Meta.

Quick little game by game report below

Game 1 - Bye

With a Round 1 Bye (Always a shame but I never say no to watching more experienced players play a game first), I took up a chair alongside James and his opponent. This allowed me to see James' Super Secret Martell Tech before our game began - Though in all honesty this isn't what helped me later on.

Round 2 - Greyjoy / Lannister Vs James Tyrell / Martell

So I decided to go with GJoy/Lan as i've heard of how horrible greyjoy are in general, and I fancied having the money to do as I please from the Lannister's generous bank. I recall getting a fantastic start getting the Lannister Twins out quite early, backed up with Theon for stealth military challenges. The intrigue ability of the twins helped me two-fold. Firstly it helped me strip cards James wanted out of hand (I recall hitting Doran's Game and The Viper ;) ) but it also gave me the gold required to play out The Queens Assassin - A card I completely overlooked for it's high ambush cost, but it worked quite well for me. This game was a really close/hard fought game that makes me want to play more GoT - Though I think I agree with James that I was probably leading the game quite well.

I think at this point I pulled one of Pete's Quote of the Days, surely I wouldn't regret such a bold statement?

Round 3 - Greyjoy / Lannister Vs Sam's Lannister / Tyrell

I got curb-stomped hard in this game, I saw no "power characters" at all, though that may just be me trying to blame something other than my own ineptitude for losing this one. I'd like to lay the blame on this one on the inconsistancies of a single-core tourney, where all your main characters will be one-ofs. Perhaps if I had splashed for a pair of Varys I could have nuked the table and recovered from there, but I highly doubt it, Sam went undeafeated on the day, so the better player certainly won this game.

Round 4 - Nights Watch / Stark Vs Pete's Greyjoy / Lannister

I recall a ridiculously good opening against Pete in this game - I opened with Bran, a 0 cost limited card, and I think 2~3 Dire Wolves? I then drew up into Ghost (To complete my direwolf set) and a bunch of good low cost characters. A turn 1 or 2 Military Challenge allowed me to try and kill off Theon Greyjoy, but he attempted to Rise him from the Sea. However as Bran was on the table i quickly threw him out the window to let Theon drown :lol: . As Pete said, he quickly laid out a barrage of Wildfire to mow me down in about turn 3? I definately got a good turn 1~2s use out of my wolf pack. A shame I didn't see my copy of Like Summer Rain to really punish Pete's intrigue! I played fairly well, and whilst it wasn't a nail biter it was a well fought game on both sides but Pete claimed victory over me.

Round 5 - Nights Watch / Stark Vs Johno's Night's Watch / Baratheon

I pictured this game as the Night's Watch infighting over the next Lord Commander of the wall. An early Summons from me to try and find John Snow failed, but Johno had him out quickly and gave him Longclaw. This allowed Johno to reap in the Renown from Snow's contributing in every NW challenge. With both of us landing an early Maester Aemon, neither of us were taking any casualtys, and if any got through Johno would just let Davos return to his hand instead of taking the plunge off the Wall. We both were pretty evenly matched in Power, and when I had my John Snow hit the table as well, I was still losing out as Longclaw gave Johno the 1 point bonus on strength. It took the efforts of Lord Stark hitting the table to try and give me a better defence - His ability to stand for every challenge made against me was stronger then I had realised! Lord Stark quickly got some Renown power, and in the last turn of the game Johno unfortunately misplayed by declaring an extra challenge against me, allowing Eddard to stand and defend me, giving me the last pip of Power that I needed to win the game. I think Johno was otherwise going to win as I don't think I could take off 2 points of Power (And I had already used my Sneak Attack plot to take initiative, so I had to take a lower initiative round), so The Wall would have won this for him otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With 3 out of 4 games being at least well fought if not a Nail-biting slugfest, it just shows that GoT is certainly a game that allows for tense match ups. I think the core set experience will be limited with potential for really swingy games, but as others have said this will likely be addressed over the first cycle of chapter packs the same as netrunner. I'd like to try and run a similar format event in Gloucester to see if we can get a local meta going. I liked having the opportunity to swap decks up after getting Stomped by Sam (Though I swapped to a pairing for their theme rather than their strengths imo)

I second James' point re: card art - Except for some upcoming spoilers, the art so far is really nice.

Return to “Oxford”