Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Moderator: Brendan

Pete

Re: Is Winter Coming? :: aGoT Tourney @Reading

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:17 am

#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 am

Last night's AGoT games were rather unsatisfying.

James and I "split" our two games: he played Fealty Baratheon versus my Fealty Greyjoy and got a lovely start of The Red Keep and Melisandre. My characters were knelt pretty much the whole game: Balon, Theon, Asha, with their Stealth are all great but they do nothing if they're knelt. I think James scored 15 Power to my 2 Power after ~6 Turns.

Aw.

We then sapped, with me playing my Fealty Bara to James's Fealty Targaryen. Frustratingly, the game was another wholly one-sided affair as the previously undefeated Targaryen deck was knelt into submission by Baratheon. I think I got the 15 Power after ~6 turns and James had 2-3 Power.

The Red Keep is strong. Card draw is good -- duh -- and it gives you more R'hllor to keep feeding Melisandre with.

Later that night I played Joy, who was playing AGot for the firsttime. Naturally, Joey had scouted the web for the top deck archetypes and had brought... fealty Baratheon. Sadly, the game against my Fealty Greyjoy played out much like the preceding games. Joey got a great start with The Red Keep and Melisandre out straight away and I was denied the ability to do anything what with all the kneeling and Joey'd 4 cards-per-turn draw feeding him with options. I think I lost this one 15-0.

Feeling vaguely chastened, we swapped decks to play the reverse matchup. I got a bad draw and worse mulligan as Baratheon, with no Red Keep and no Melisandre: the Summons Plot I played to find Melisandre yielded... Shireen which was rather underwhelming. On the other side of the table Joey got a corking start with the Greyjoy "draw cards" location of The Great Kraken and Asha with Theon following soon after. Joey was able to exploit the Stealth of those two characters to give him the advantage before I could get going: my characters were killed with Throwing Axe and Put to the Sword and this time around Joey had the overwhelming draw advantage. I was left gaining Power via the Iron Throne but essentially hoping to top deck a character with my usual 2-card draw every turn. It was pretty one-sided and Joey won 15-6.

I don't mind losing -- really, that's fine -- so long as I feel I get my money's worth in terms of play. The one-sided games were just unsatisfying. It felt difficult to come back from a poor start. In the last game with Joey I did Wildfire Assault to reset the board state somewhat, but that left Joey with Theon, Asha, and some other character and me with 2 Bastards and a Maestyr Cressen: I also had no cards in hand beyond those I top-decked -- both events! -- and Joey had a full hand from previous Red Keep draws: as such, he was able to recover quickly from the reset.

I'm not grumbling here, just laying out the tale of the tape. It's still early days with AGoT. The game feels very snowball-y at the moment with the luck of the opening draw playing a big role: I don't know if that's really true or wholly fair, but it just feels that way. I'll be back next week for more AGoT action: I'll throw in some anti-Bara tech in the form of The Seal of the Hand and The Hand's Judgement. Dunno, I'll see how it goes.

Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 am

As I mentioned at the time my main concern was the decks played them self a bit, with less me making choices and more just doing the best move... I'll bring along cards again next week. Think I'm going to play atleast up until the December tournement
MasterAir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby MasterAir » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:22 am

The first chapter pack has a 'tutor location' card, which I think makes decks a little more reliable.

A game of who draws their draw isn't that good. Does Stark/Kraken murder work at all?

I presume James didn't set up just Mel, because Marched to the Wall is a card. If you don't play it, you should.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 pm

MasterAir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby MasterAir » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 pm

This has some of the spoiled cards: http://thronesdb.com/set/TtB

The card I was thinking of is support of the people

Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Played a few more games tonight, played with dragons which was fun.. taught my brother with the hope of dragging him on Tuesdays. He wasn't impressed, I won every game.. still I like my dragons so have something non baratheon for next week.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 am

Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:39 am

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 am

I can confirm that none of the decks I have netdeck'd has Naval Superiority. (And I netdeck all my decks.)

I'm getting into AGoT now, proper itching to scub Joey and James. I've played more games of it than Doomtown. (Still a bit of a shame about that, I am drawn to Doomtown like sand on the beach is drawn to the bum crack of my speedos.) AGoT feels swing-y but I reckon that's down to n00b-osity. I haven't found any decent blogs or the like to crash-course into strategy yet, damn.

The game doesn't feel quite as immediately appealing as NetRunner. I dig those micro-payoffs you get in NR when a multi-access R&D run is happening and you're like "COME ON U AGENDA PINATA!!1!" as the Runner and you're "LET THEM EAT ONLY ASHES AND TEARS!" as the Corp. I haven't had moments like that in AGoT because generally all the information is on the board all the time... ambushing hasn't been a big thing yet.

What, you don't internally yell "COME ON U AGENDA PINATA!!1!" when you're on a Maker's Eye run? :oops: :lol:
Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:08 am

James and I played a corking game of Game of Thrones in Reading tonight: my Greyjoy Fealty versus James's Lannister/Martell. It was another nail-biting 15/14 Power finish with James pipping the win in the end. So good... I wish all the games were like that.

I played Joey later on -- my same Greyjoy versus his Targaryen Fealty -- and Joey got a blinding start with all 3 dragons and Daenerys on the table by turn 2. I was on the back foot the whole game: it was fun but I never felt I was going to come back.

Turns out Joey has not lost a single game to anyone so far. Looks like Joey is the form player to beat in the December tourney. Let's get him! :twisted: :P

Rules Question: if I Milk of the Poppy Daenerys, does she still accrue all the benefits from the dragons? We played that she still did because it is her card that is milked and not the dragons. It meant that milking Daenerys was still worth it but not quite as strong as an effect as you usually expect from a milk play.

ANSWER:
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 am

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 am

Pete

Ser Brendan, Thy Vassal Returns With News Of Victory!

Postby Pete » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Heck of a day today. I was pleased with a turnout of 9 for a first, introductory tournament. Thanks to Pete and Martin for travelling. Nice to see some new faces as well as old.

I believe your final opponent was Joe, Pete. Unsurprisingly all of the top four played Lannister for at least some of their games with Martin chopping and changing a little. I think Greyjoy and Lannister are strong out of a single core, and that was borne out by the results.

Final Results were something like:

Sam: 25 prestige Lannister/Tyrell
Pete: 20 Greyjoy/Lannister
George: 15 Greyjoy/Lannister
Martin: 15 Greyjoy/Lannister and Night's Watch/Start (maybe a few others, was chopping and changing)
James: 15 Martell/Tyrell
Joe: 10 Night's Watch/Tyrell
Matt: 10 Greyjoy/Tyrell (I think)
Nick: 10 Targaryen/Lannister
Johno: 5 Played everything.

I lost to Joe and Martin, in some slow but inexorable losses where I just couldn't tilt the balance back toward my favour, Joe in particular crushing the life from my deck.

Wins vs Nick Matt and George. The win in the first round vs George was highly satisfying because it was a hell of a close game, and because George was gunning for the 1st place playmat. Something about 'paying the iron price'. Thirdly I closed it out in epic fashion on a turn 6 Doran's Game! Possibly my favourite card (and most NBN-like)out of the core set.

I was the only one playing Martell, and took massive satisfaction in forcing most opponents to read loads of my cards with 'wtf is this' face. Pete, I trust you paid the iron price and acquired the Ironborn playmat with your stack of store cred?
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 am

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:13 am

Is there any interest in playing the melee format?

Glancing through my box after the tourney I noticed the Title cards and went "oh!" The multiplayer support is what drew me to legend of the Five Rings many moons ago and the multiplayer Thrones format looks like it could be fun. Is anyone up for a one-off evening of Melee Thrones on a Friday night @Eclectic? I should think it'd soak up the majority of the evening.

On a side note, these are the Netrunner UK boards so I don't want to dilute the conversation with posts about Thrones... but at the same time I'm only going to play Thrones with you lot so chatting here seems the natural place. Is there a Thrones.co.uk equivalent or shall I keep posting in this mega thread or should I be posting in the "Off Topic" section?
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Return to “Oxford”