Reading Aldershot Oxford Intercity Tourney

Moderator: Brendan

Pete

Reading Aldershot Oxford Intercity Tourney

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Yo!

Guy has registered our combined metas for the 2nd Intercity Tourney to be held in Edinburgh at the start of next year.

Who is interested in travelling up to this and representing RedOxShot in this tourney?

January is not so far away so it'd be good to sort this stuff out early. Thoughts on the selection process? Last time we had a round robin for 2 of the 4 spots in Oxford, and the Reading Gridders had a one-off tourney. Shall we do the same this time?

Cheers
P
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Pete

Re: Reading Aldershot Oxford Intercity Tourney

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:59 pm

FYI: 2 nights accommodation at the venue is £108, single room, not sharing. (Friday/Saturday, training it up to Edinburgh on the Friday and back down on the Sunday.)

The venue is close to the Warriston Road crematorium if that helps sway you. :?
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:44 pm

I would be good for doing the same process and would like to echo that it would be great to know early if I am going or not.

I am up for going but am more than happy to play against those who are better qualified to represent our meta.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Oknobutsrslylike... who is up for this?

Edinburgh is a fair old truck away so let's find out how many folk are even willing to travel the distance on the day before we chat about qualifying. Do we have enough interest from folks in ReadOx to muster a team of 4? It's the holiday season next month, so I think it'd be good to sort this out in November.

I am good to attend this. I'll likely train it up on the Friday, staying at a hotel for the Fri+Sat and then train it back down on the Sunday. Assuming I qualify, I'd like to book the hotel early and get everything sorted in advance.

Guy has also indicated his interest.

So, who is in? (I'm not in charge of this or anything, just pushing things along.)
Johno

Postby Johno » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Provisionally down for this (if just to fly the NRG flag!) Feel like it might be a first come-first served kind of deal given the distance. Just means we'll have to win it to make sure the next one is closer to home ;)

Down for matching Pete travel-wise. If we fix a four, we could book twin rooms to save a little on monies. ROAD TRIP!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:25 pm

I'll keep a list here:

Oxford Interest:

Pete ("YOLOSWAG")
Guy ("Trampoline")
Possibly Dan ("hammer")

Reading:

Johno ("ASALWAYS"

Aldershot:

Dave "Swiftie")
Last edited by GuyCliquil on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Seamus sent a gentle nudge to make sure we're all on course to get a team.

So I'm just going to nudge everyone. Be lovely to have this sorted asap.
The Praetor of Jank
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:15 am

Which weekend is it? I'd love to come. Need to see if I can get a weekend pass from the boss (TM).
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:33 am

MasterAir wrote:Which weekend is it?

Saturday, 16 January 2016, third weekend of the new year.
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:37 am

Have represented within your team each of the seven factions with the fourth runner being your choice of one of the new mini-factions coming in Data & Destiny.

Uhh... just noticed this last bit. What are your thoughts about the Runner faction: Sunny, Adam, or Apex?

I've not played any of them, but I have faced off against Adam -- twice, beat him both times -- and Sunny -- once, beat her -- and Apex -- once, beat it. Adam was the most... annoying?... of the three what with the insta-break and HQ double-dipping from the off.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:21 pm

I'd be happy to play either Sunny, with whom I have experimented and am happy with, or Adam, with whom I have some possibly janky ideas.

Apex I don't really have any ideas, good or otherwise for.
The Praetor of Jank
Johno

Postby Johno » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:30 pm

If we're thinking factions, I'm easy. My Anarch is weak, but I could play Shaper/Crim with some confidence. Happy to tinker with minis too. I have some Apex experience, but wouldn't necessarily go that way. Think Sunny has legs.

Corp side: whatever. My NBN is weakest. I can always rep (non-RP) Jinteki of course, and I've been enjoying my HB recently.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:56 pm

If I can make it, I'm happy to play any faction. Netrunner is cool, all the factions have fun toys. If we're lacking D&D runners, I'm sure I can figure one of them out in 2 months. I'm not being a Mom though. I'm not nearly good enough to be a mom.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:50 am

I spoke to the Reading and Aldershot folks about this at the Reading tourney on Saturday with the upshot that a new challenger has entered the arena.

Dave from Aldershot -- Swiftie on this forum -- has indicated his interest.

That puts us at 5 folk. So, how do we decide who is staying home? Melee at December's Jank Random ID tourney in Reading? Something else?
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 am

Well it might depend on if whether Dan is free or not. Without him we have a team of 4!
The Praetor of Jank
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm happy not to be free if that makes life easier for everyone else. I'd like to come, but I don't want to make anyone else miss out.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Well we'd all, I'm sure, be happy to see others go in our place etc. cause we're all polite sorts.

It depends whether you are stepping aside for the sake of others or because you only volunteered to make sure there were sufficient numbers.

I would not be surprised if there were note one or two in Oxford/Reading who mean to mention their names for this but have not done so yet so I don't think we'll end up with a simple "Dan or no Dan" being the only dilemma.

How extensive has our grilling of the Neoreading grid been? I will try to moan at Oxford lot tonight - can you moan with me Pete?
The Praetor of Jank
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Might rephrase that.
The Praetor of Jank
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm certainly interested. I realise committing is needed to actually be helpful.. main concern is cost. Anyone have a figure? Cheap hotel sharing, we could drive to save money. 1 car will probably be 80 quid for all of us. Train probably 100 each...
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Right, ball park:
Accommodation will be about £60pp if we share two twin rooms.
Travel will be approx £100pp for train or plane
We COULD split a car and drive up (could volunteer for that myself) for more like £40pp, but I think the additional cost in comfort might be prohibitive. Leaning toward train myself. If we can book table seats together we can get some solid deck-testing in on the train. Maybe a quick Round Robin tourney to decide captain? :P

So, £160 a head, does that change any minds?
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm not going, but I'd advise against the drive. It's an insanely long drive from down here, and the stretch between Newcastle and Edinburgh is one of the worst in the country. Winter weather just exaggerates all this. The train will be more expensive, but I think you'll all be happier. You might be able to book some advance tickets and save ~£30+.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm

If I were part of this I would probably go train as well - I have a licence but let's just say my experience with driving has been a bit Weyland on occasion so I'm not looking to get behind the wheel any time soon. Fine as passenger but that puts pressure on others.
The Praetor of Jank
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:09 pm

I have done the Edinburgh drive quite a few times, and it isn't too bad, I personal don't mind being in a car for 7+ hours... however the option to play netrunner enroute is interesting... I still think I'm a last resort for this of you can field a team without me. Saving money for potential worlds trip and am also moving house the week before so may be busy.. would be fun though.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:43 pm

I don't drive; I am happy to pay petrol and provide a mix tape for us to groove to. On the downside, there'll be no chance to play games and all too many chances to indulge in those sausages at Little Chef that taste like the pipes, lips, and rectums you know they are made of.

I'd rather train it in the comfort of 1st class with some games and chilled goose pate.

I'm up for the jank tourney at the start of December being the qualifier. Thoughts?
Johno

Postby Johno » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:48 am

Sounds like we're agreed on train. I'd provisionally agree to drive - I drive to York on the semi-regular - but it's a hell of a long way - further than York even!!? - and I think we'd all be more comfy round a table on a train. The possibility of a warm-up train-tourney intrigues and excites me.

So: train.

I'm not hearing any objection to staying at the actual venue. We could probably shop around, but I'm pretty lazy and it would be nice to rock up to the tournament straight from breakfast. Doubtless there will be some post-tournament #bantz in the hotel bar after too.

So: Victoria Park Hotel.

Only remaining detail is representatives. Sounds like we have three with strong interest (myself, Pete, Guy) and three with mild interest (Dan, Dave, Joey). Of the six, four are going to the December tourney (Joey can't in fact, Dan may yet of course) which makes "qualification" at that tournament a bit of a formality. I'm happy to give Dan first refusal since he showed interest first. Joey by his own confession sounds happy to come only if actually required to make up the numbers. I know a little something about being knackered the week after moving house also.

I would be interested to book this sooner rather than later, within a week say to guarantee somewhat low prices. It occurs to me that we don't actually need names to do that, just numbers, and we know there will be four of us, so we could book it now and hand out the tickets later...

One final detail: I assume there's also a cost for tournament tickets which we should pay at some point? On arrival?

Return to “Oxford”