Reading Aldershot Oxford Intercity Tourney

Moderator: Brendan

GuyCliquil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Reading Aldershot Oxford Intercity Tourney

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:17 am

I am agreed with all of this. The only question would be when exactly to travel. I would be intrigued by the possibility of a late train back on the Saturday just to save a hotel's night of staying but I am happy to be outvoted on that and would likely still travel with all.

I'd be happy to share a room at the venue to keep costs a little lower. I am generally not a terrible person to share with.

I have checked with Seamus ref: ticket costs for the event itself.

I didn't know if Dave's interest was casual or not, but have not spoken to him, and I am not sure if Dan's interest is percieved as less than mine just because he is politer! :lol: Either way, be happy to follow either the convention of seeing how people do at the jank tournament (although my jank will probably drag me down the scores listings again, so it'll be up to whether people find it amusing or not! I'm basically a netrunner performing monkey at this point. )
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Johno

Postby Johno » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:34 am

I'd vote for Friday and Sunday daytime travel. Happy to make a weekend of it personally. I think a Saturday night train would get in very late. If we left straight after (and surely it would be nice to hang around for a bit; Netrunner folk tend to be the best in the world) we'd get back well after midnight.

Down for sharing a room also.

Think Guy has to be involved since he registered the team when no one else could be bothered!
Joey

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:10 pm

I think the event may be free...

I concur you should agree on times snd get train and hotel booked ASAP, to save money in the long run.
GuyCliquil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:15 pm

"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm in favour of the train.

I'm in favour of deciding the team and the details pronto.

I'm fine with sharing, I'm not a snorer, I'm clean and quiet. I'm also fine with just plain paying half of someone else's room cost: that way my "roomie" and I get single rooms. If there's pressure on rooms at the venue then vanilla sharing is a-ok too.
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 pm

There is no cost to attend the event itself. :o
The Praetor of Jank
Joey

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:20 pm

GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Oh yes. That's another good reason to travel back Sunday. Agreed. (If I am part of it)
The Praetor of Jank
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:09 pm

OK, I'd like to pull the trigger on this. Here's what I'm looking at:

Train:
Out
Depart King's Cross on Friday 15th Jan at 13:00
Arrives Edinburgh at 17:22
Return
Depart Edinburgh on Sunday 17th Jan at 10:30
Arrives King's Cross at 15:52

Both trains are direct. Purchasing tickets to King's Cross is up to individuals, although I imagine we'll agree to meet on a train into Paddington closer to the day. Travel from Edinburgh to the hotel looks pretty trivial (4 to a cab at least) but is to be organised. We can reserve seats together and guarantee that they'll be round a table both ways. The tickets will only be valid for the specified trains though.

£411.60 all in, which is £102.90pp.

Accom:
2 Twin rooms for two nights, sleeping 4 adults
Check-in 15th Jan from 14:30
Check-out 17th Jan by 15:00

£236 for the lot, which is £59pp

So a broad itinerary:
Fri 15th
- Probably meet on a train into Paddington from Reading ~11:30
- Arrive at King's Cross by ~12:30
- Leave King's Cross at 13:00
- Arrive in Edinburgh at 17:22
- Cab (or something else) to hotel, arriving by ~18:00
- Dinner, chill
Sat 16th
- Breakfast (need to confirm this is included)
- Tournament starts at 10:00
- Tournament finishes at ~18:00
- Lift trophy at 18:05
- Dinner, chill with Netrunner homies
Sun 17th
- Breakfast
- Check out and leave hotel by ~09:30
- Arrive at station at ~10:00
- Leave Edinburgh at 10:30
- Arrive at King's Cross at 15:52
- Arrive back in Reading/Oxford for ~17:00

Final amount is £161.90 per person.

Any objection to any of the above? I'll likely phone the hotel to book to confirm twin rooms (the website is ambiguous in booking, but says they're available). Train tickets can be ordered online.

I'm happy to book the above when we have a consensus, and expect bank transfers in the next couple weeks for each person's share. There's a question mark over who's attending, but I'm happy to accept anyone who pays and commits to going. Factions and Netrunner gubbins can be sorted later.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Am in to this, and can send money whenever I get details. Still happy, theorestically, to be replaced but by the looks of things getting UP to 4 could be the trickier bit than fitting people in.

Does anyone have a more direct line to our "maybe"s? I can chat to Dan if he is about tonight for tourney.
The Praetor of Jank
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Cool, sounds like we've got agreement. I'll start booking shortly.
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:34 pm

I am still able to come if no one else wants the space. But still would rather it go to someone else who wants it if such a person exists. Else im in. Im now moving at the end of January which makes it a little easier.. So still keep me as reserve 4th person. Sound the others out first.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:35 pm

The Praetor of Jank
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:06 pm

OK, all booked!

I was able to get a group train ticket which was cheaper. The only difference was that we need to be together to travel, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Final total was £136.95 per person then. Pete and Guy, I'm PMing you with bank details now.

We can have a meet-up to coordinate at the Reading December tournament, hopefully including our Ringo, whoever that may be. Then we can discuss factions etc.
Johno

Postby Johno » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:58 am

Train tickets arrived in the post yesterday

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm so excited that a little bit of wee just dripped out!

Thanks for organizing this Johno. I call dibs on the the top bunk.

Guy, pick me for your roomie! Fair warning, I will take it very badly if you pick Johno. I can give you so much more than he can: New Angeles City Halls for example.

Is there more chat about this elsewhere? Facebook, Twitter, some other forum? What other teams are coming? Who is favourite? Who is the dark horse? Are our fierce rivals from Bristol coming? Surely Hull cannot have fielded a team? I need to get my banter on.

YOLO!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 pm

Well we don't know who our 4th is yet! For all I know our 4th is an Adonis or an Eve robot.

These are, as of 4th of November, the team:

Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Glasgow
Dundee
Bristol
Leeds
Huddersfield
Cardiff
ReadOx
Newcastle
Preston/Lancaster
London
Durham
Birmingham
Sheffield

Brendan and I were having a good chuckle that we may, in fact, be sending the classic plucky underdog team to this event. So we'll need to start prepping our heartwarming stories, one of us will have to be the old timer who made a mistake, one will have to be the plucky comic relief, one will have to be the angry one, and someone needs to prep our 11th hour speech so that we can beat the actually good teams.

Presumably the actually good teams might be, what, Birmingham-London-Sheffield-everyone who isn't us?
The Praetor of Jank
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm

Pete's the old timer who made MANY mistakes...

:lol:
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:02 am

Johno

Postby Johno » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:37 am

MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:40 am

I'd really like to come. But I'm starting a new job in January and I need to make sure Claire is OK to have the children for the weekend.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Makes sense. You would make a worthy fourth, but I do understand that other people have real life to deal with!
The Praetor of Jank
Johno

Postby Johno » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Return to “Oxford”