A Noob's Deck Critique Session

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rodrogiar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Noob's Deck Critique Session

Postby Rodrogiar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:13 pm

As a relatively new netrunner player (since last Christmas) I was always a bit apprehensive at posting my decks on here for fear of painful insults by way of internet trolls on my poor choices. However, since that point I have realized how different the netrunner community is to any other internet community, and how everyone is willing to help with my struggles.
Therefore I welcome any help you guys can give to me on these two decks I am currently working on. However please note that I have a limited card pool at the moment, resulting in some strange choices (i.e no Jackson). Feel free to suggest specific cards (and if possible the packs they are in) to help me develop these.

CORP-
All and All It's Just Another Ice In The Wall

(Core Set)

Agenda (13)
2x (Core Set)
2x (Future Proof)
3x (Upstalk)
3x (Core Set)
3x (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (10)
3x (Core Set)
2x (Core Set)
2x (Core Set)
3x (Core Set)

Upgrade (3)
1x (Core Set)
2x (The Spaces Between)

Operation (9)
2x (Core Set)
2x (Core Set)
2x (The Spaces Between)
3x (Core Set)

Barrier (5)
3x (Future Proof)
2x (Core Set)

Code Gate (5)
3x (Core Set) ••••• •
2x (Core Set)

Sentry (8)
2x (Core Set) ••••
2x (Core Set)
2x (Core Set) ••••
2x (Core Set)
14 influence spent (max 15)
23 agenda points (between 22 and 23)
53 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Spaces Between

RUNNER-
The Philosophers Mem Chip

(Cyber Exodus)

Event (21)
3x (Core Set)
3x (Core Set)
3x (Core Set) •••
3x (Core Set)
3x (Cyber Exodus)
3x (Core Set)
3x (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
2x (What Lies Ahead)
3x (Future Proof)
2x (Core Set)

Resource (3)
3x (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (7)
2x (Core Set) ••••
2x (Core Set) ••
2x (Core Set)
1x (Core Set) ••

Program (2)
2x (Core Set)
11 influence spent (max 15)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Future Proof

Any ideas?
"A common mistake the people make when trying to make a deck completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
GuyCliquil

Re: A Noob's Deck Critique Session

Postby GuyCliquil » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello Rodragiar,

I am probably not the best person to ask as I am probably at about the low to mid level skill of players on the forum however there are a few rules I think are fairly universal that I don't break, and I think its safe for us, shall we say, "not awesome" players to not break.

Corp Deck:

The first thing is cut yourself down to 49 cards. The reason for this are twofold. The first is that it will thin out what is called "agenda density" which is roughly described as how often the runner will steal your agendas, coupled with the amount of agendas you will have to deal with at once coming into HQ.

The second thing to think about is that if you have the least amount of cards that you can have then you are more likely to draw the cards you REALLY want, because there are no weaker cards in the deck.

The third thing is more of a wishy washy thing but I'd say to you is "How are you going to win?"

There are three ways a corporation can win, or at least three ways if you'll allow me to simplify things somewhat from what I imagine better players than I work at.

A - The first is to score 3 agendas - 2 3 pointers, and 1 extra.

B - The second is to score 4 agendas - 3 2 points, and 1 extra.

C - The third is to flatline the runner.

Since C is out for your deck as you don't do much damage (which is fine) then I would look at focusing on either A or B.

If A, then you are planning for a longer game; you want to be ready to outlast the runner and exhaust their .resources on ice that may be possible to break through but isn't very good at stopping an early game runner. Eli is a great example of this - a runner can click through Eli with literally nothing installed and no credits, but even with a decent breaker out Eli is annoying and expensive to get through. You typically won't score "out of hand".

If B, then you are planning to win the game before the runner gets fully up and running. if that is the case then you want lots of ice that is good in the early game because the runner has to get an icebreaker to get passed it. Rototurret is a good example of this - it ends the run (and can snipe a installed program to boot) but it is easy prey to a lot of programs the runner can get. A lot of these fast decks, if not all, "score from hand"

When I look at your agendas I see a mix. If you are planning for a longer game then a lot of the cards you have there, which are useful to rush out agendas (Biotic Labour, Domestic Sleepers) that are perhaps best replaced with other cards. If you are planning to rush out agendas then perhaps the Priority Requisition is out of place, or at least the Corporate War - which is very difficult to score from hand.

The other things I suspect you know - I think Archived Memories is a good call when you have no Jackson Howard. He is probably the one card that it is very difficult to play without - its why I dislike the card, but then put it in every corp deck I have! I also think I can see that you have quite cleverly realised that you are working with clickable ice and so have put in things like Enhanced Login Protocol and Heinlin Grid to make that even more of a pain and a tax on the runner. I think you've got good tactical ideas; and when I look at the deck I think it might be a pain to play against so that's good!

In terms of the runner I am less sure of what advice I can give. It actually looks pretty solid to me! Not too flashy or too clever; Magnum Opus for economy, a decent breaker suite - that's half the battle right there. Good multi access as well. I imagine that you don't have Creation & Control which is why you don't pack any Clone Chips or Self Modifying Codes which I like to put in to make sure you pull out those programs when you need them; I think you'll have some games where the Tinkerings and Test Runs just don't pull you through. Perhaps consider putting some "Special Order"s in there if you own them, especially considering you have some spare influence. Bear in mind though that I am a player who always tries to play against the worst possible scenario! There are many players out there, especially those who like playing Anarch and Criminal, who seem to beat me seemingly barely bothering with a break suite! It is highly annoying.

All the best

GuyCliquil
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:28 pm

All good points above, maybe it would be a good idea to list the packs you have, then we can try and help you narrow down the corp deck. :) Unfortunately, I'm out of touch when it comes to playing Shaper, so will let others give their 2 pence/cents on the matter...
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Guy is talking nonsense. As in - he is clearly not a low level player as all the advice he gave was on point :p

Joking aside, what Guy said is legit and there usnt much more to add. Think about reducing your agendas, reduce your deck size, pack ice that supports your game plan.

Thats a big takeaway is this - find a game plan. Something adaptive. Choose cards based on that. HB rush as an example, low cost agendas and low cost ETR ice.

Your lists are fairly solid considerig the card pool you have access to, so keep at it!
Last edited by king_mob on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
Rodrogiar

Postby Rodrogiar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Hey, Thanks for the incredibly detailed response already.
In regard to domestic sleepers as a quick agenda, I mostly use it for sacrificing with the archer to reduce the cost but the removal of biotic labour seems a good idea as I don't use it too often.
And my currently owned packs are:
1x Core set
Genesis cycle-
Cyber Exodus
Future Proof
Spin Cycle-
True colours
Lunar Cycle-
Upstalk
The Spaces Between

Currently no big expansions, but I am thinking about getting creation and control soon.
"A common mistake the people make when trying to make a deck completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
massisi

Postby massisi » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Sometimes you just need a brain in a jar
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Rodrogiar

Postby Rodrogiar » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks you guys for all of these amazing responses.
They have really given me some food for thought and gave me a great deal of help.
Certainly things like data sucker and my agendas were not things I had previously looked at to improve but now I have I feel they will help a great deal.
Thanks for taking your time to improve these beginner decks for me, greatly appreciated.
Dan
p.s sorry for the late reply, I was away for a couple of days.

Return to “Deck Building Discussion”