Return to Netrunner

Moderator: Johno

waferthinninja

Return to Netrunner

Postby waferthinninja » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Remember me? I used to play Netrunner. I still buy the cards but haven't played in months. The fact the last post on this forum was in November suggests I might not be the only one who has drifted away from the game?

I can't exactly put my finger on what made me stop coming. IIRC whilst I did feel a slight malaise about the state of the game, I was mostly just stressed at work, and missed a few sessions in a row. I remember missing 3 or 4 on the trot, and getting a new datapack having yet to play with any cards from the previous one. Each time I missed one, it became easier to miss the next... and here we are about 6 months later. I still love the game, just wish I had more time and energy.

Anyway, I miss you guys, and with Terminal Directive about to land, my love for the game has been rekindled. From what little I have seen, the "legacy" bits of the game have you tracking side objectives "score blah agenda X times", "trash X corp cards". This really reminded me of the league Johno ran with the achievements, which was some of the most fun I ever had playing NR. People were turning up each week with wacky decks, playing unpopular ids or even when playing more standard decks were piloting them in odd ways to score 'chieves.

While TD isn't quite like that (if I understand correctly, you stick to one identity the whole campaign), it does still make for a refreshing change - if only because you can't really netdeck.

Anyhoot, what is the scene like in Ecelctic nowadays? Are the regulars still regular or have there been lots of other drop outs? New blood?

Hope to see you soon.
Johno

Re: Return to Netrunner

Postby Johno » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 am

Hello there! Sadly the community has largely drifted away from these forums, although there is a bustling UK community on the Stimhack Slack now, including many Reading/Oxford faces.

If you're unaware, Slack is a chat app, much like the IRC of old. If you'd like to sign up, you can grab an invite by sticking your email in here: https://stimhackslackinvite.herokuapp.com/
It's part of Stimhack, so you may have to sign up for a Stimhack account or something. I don't really remember the details, but hopefully it's self-explanatory. If you have troubles, holler.

When you've signed up, you'll be put in the #general room. My advice is to mute it and never go back there :P. It's worldwide and a little... unfiltered. I'd recommend you join #uk and #readox and say hi to the various people in those places. They're all nice. #uk is, fairly obviously, primarily UK players and mostly about the UK scene. #readox is mostly people from Reading/Oxford/Aldershot, and is mostly about local events etc. All rooms drift off topic though.

To answer your actual question! Sadly, I haven't been able to make it to a Tuesday meetup for a long time, though I understand they're still going on. We most definitely still have tournaments on the first Saturday of every month, so come along to those if you fancy. The May tournament is a GNK. (There actually isn't one first weekend of June due to UK Games Expo.)

I actually don't know if the store is planning any Terminal Directive events, but it's very possible also!

Hopefully see you on Slack!

Return to “Reading”