Jank Tournament: December 5th 2015 (Register for your IDs!)

Moderator: Johno

Paul B

Re: Jank Tournament: December 5th 2015 (Register for your IDs!)

Postby Paul B » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:14 am

Please could you roll me some IDs?
Johno

Postby Johno » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:22 am

laneford wrote:Hi! I'm registering interest for some Jank, not 100% sure I can make it, but hopefully can. Cheers.

No worries, if you can make it, you'll be: (another) Exile and Biotech!

Paul B wrote:Please could you roll me some IDs?

Paul: Reina and Cybernetics Division
Southpaw288

Postby Southpaw288 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Johno wrote:
Also rolling for Tom from Tuesday nights: Sunny and Titan

Thanks Johno, guess I'd better hunt down my Underworld Contacts!
lmm

Postby lmm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Do you know roughly when it'll finish? Google is telling me to leave by 5:48pm.
Johno

Postby Johno » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:04 am

Rolling for Tom Langton: Exile and Tennin

lmm wrote:Do you know roughly when it'll finish? Google is telling me to leave by 5:48pm.

Should be done by then. 5 rounds of Swiss and a short break for lunch, we're likely to finish by about 5.30 if everything runs smoothly!
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:09 am

Don't forget about the post-tourney visit to Korbas. It's a NeoReading Grid tradition to commiserate Losing The Bell Yet Again over mouthfuls of greasy kebab and lashings of Dandelion&Burrdock pop.

Sweet, someone else got Tennin! I finally won one game with it last night so I'm 1-5 in testing. :roll: :cry: :D
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:13 am

Jank tournaments are more than about just winning grasshopper, they are about exploring the unvisited corners of the card library.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:13 am

... at least, that's what I'm telling myself.
"Guy, you are often right for all the wrong reasons. And if you are wrong, it is always for right reasons." - Brendan .
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:17 am

My deck visits -all- the unvisited corners!
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:54 am

I think the thing with your deck is that they're all perfectly functional and decent cards, you just don't usually seem them all together at once! And not at the expense of some very sensible cards that would have massively helped you in your game against me.
The Praetor of Jank
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:21 am

Sensible cards like, you know, breakers? Yeah.
GuyCliquil

Postby GuyCliquil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:12 pm

Criminals have all the best breakers. I mean, who needs to break Ice on a remote anyway? Overrated.
The Praetor of Jank
lmm

Postby lmm » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:03 am

Criminal breakers for remotes are fine! I mean, Aurora and Leviathan, what more could you want?
TED-DIE

Postby TED-DIE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 am

How could you forget Peacock!! :lol:
"The Wünderkind"
Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Fab tourney today, cheers!

24 people was a great turnout. No byes, hurrah! The Oxford Massive made a good showing with 6 of us competing for glory. Alas, The Bell fell into the hands of The NeoReadingGrid as their newest champion Chris won the tourney with his Exile (!) and NEXT Design decks. Well played Chris!

I went 6-4 with my Tennin and Quetzal decks. I was pleasantly surprised by this: in playtesting the Quetzal deck had been fine and was fun to play, but the Tennin deck had won exactly 1 game. I went full on fast advance -- 3 TOL, 1 Biotic, no remotes -- which worked well on the day... until I encountered a Shaper deck running Clot and Clone Chips and yeah, that was game over.

Rahul won a sweet World of Warcraft Cataclysm playmat: massive propz to him for bringing an ~80-card Tower of Power running out of... Kim. Tom won the coveted World of Warcraft Brewfest playmat, gratz!

Guy proved his Jankmeister credentials by coming second in the tourney proper with his wonderful jank decks, winning a playset of sweet Exploratory Romp cards signed by Seb! Gratz Guy!

I made just the one glaringly dumb misplay on the day that I was a bit bummed about: I ended a turn with 3 cards in hand when facing off against Phillip's Weyland. One SEA Source and a Scorch later Quetzal was dead. It was a bum note to end the game on, a proper schoolboy howler. I was having a lot of fun playing Quetzal -- Turntabling is the shiz! -- and I just plain forgot about my hand. Doh! What's worse is that the game was being recorded... it's not every entertaining when someone klutzes it. The reverse game when my Tennin faced off against Phillip's DLR Fisk was pretty good though: I managed to win by Fast Advancing a Future Perfect just before Phillip really went to town with DLR.

It was my first Random ID tourney: the format was fun! I would never play Tennin by choice -- I dislike glacier -- but it was interesting to give a whirl for a while. I look forward to the next one: good work Gridders!

Oh! A few of us breakfasted at The Quantum Cafe prior to the tourney. It was okay, warm and filling. Let's try somewhere else for the next one for variety.
Nekader

Postby Nekader » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Pete wrote:I made just the one glaringly dumb misplay on the day that I was a bit bummed about: I ended a turn with 3 cards in hand when facing off against Phillip's Weyland. One SEA Source and a Scorch later Quetzal was dead. It was a bum note to end the game on, a proper schoolboy howler. I was having a lot of fun playing Quetzal -- Turntabling is the shiz! -- and I just plain forgot about my hand. Doh! What's worse is that the game was being recorded... it's not every entertaining when someone klutzes it. The reverse game when my Tennin faced off against Phillip's DLR Fisk was pretty good though: I managed to win by Fast Advancing a Future Perfect just before Phillip really went to town with DLR.

That last turn with the TFP wrecked me. If I had just milled instead of running for the third time... You wouldn't have been able to take the game. Got the tunnel vision thinking you had the two Trick of Lights in hand to win the next turn. Little did I know that it was actually a biotic in hand and a prophetically called ToL to seal the game.

Want to second the sentiment of today's festivities. I regret not having the time to truly jank out but it's still a pleasure to be able to play against all the other folks and their fantastic creations. That said, I have already de-sleeved Fisk in favour of MaxXimizing my win rate.

Looking forward to the next one already.
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah, it was fun. I'd have been happy for you to apply the DLR Millhammer -- I would have feigned some outraged "#OMG DLR itt iz so teh bro9ken!" -- but it's often fun when someone's plan unfolds right before your eyes.

I'm mindedof the time when the MaxX was released and Seb played this left-field MaxX deck that did uninteractive stuff with Personal Workshops in readiness for a ~20 card Medium dig in the later game. I was on the receiving end of it and I was equal parts "WTF just hapenendd?!?!" and "OMG that is a thing of beauty!"

:D

Our games were filmed so if they make the cut and Johno commentates and publishes them I'm really interested to see how many unintentional play mistakes were made. Did either of us take 5 clicks, take extra monies, forget to pay for stuff, forgot to apply effects, that sort of thing. Everyone does it, but I am I a proper baddie? I suspect that I am.

There's the obvious one with the dropping to three cards when facing Weyland but that was just a total brain fart on my part: @johno I added some commentary of my own about that to the soundtrack, you might care to play it, I don't think I swore in my withering assessment of my play.

I played the Tennin ID, I garnered half of my wins with it on the day... but nah, I didn't enjoy it and it's about to be desleeved. This glacier style is also pretty tiring! In my final round of the day I was paired against a Shaper (Exile) packing Clot and Clone Chips. FA was off the table and the thought of building a scoring remote with a Caprice in and psi-gaming agendas out in gruelling fashion... nah. Just nah.

I really enjoyed playing Quetzal! I've been playing Criminal for a year or more now and the playstyle was refreshingly different. Criminal feels like an economic tug of war... get some credits run some servers with your breaker suite, rinse, repeat. Anarch feels much more... cerebral? Reactive? I was playing 3x Street Peddler, 3x Inject... and I just kinda went with what I got. R&D lightly defended, Parasite on Street Peddler? Run R&D, kill the ICE, make hay. R&D locked up? No worries, switch to the remotes kill stuff with Scrubber and Imp. I might revisit Anarch once the Edinburgh tourney is out of the way.

Quotes of the Day

• "Meow!" -- Some Dude, scores 3x Quantum Predictive Model for the game.
  • "Mmm. Maybe 83 cards is too many." -- Rahul ruminates on his 83-card Tower of Power Kim deck,
  • "I love filth!" -- Me, on stealing an agenda and trashing *&$@#-damn bloody Housekeeping.
  • "Digestive biscuits. They've done studies." -- Phil gives us the lowdown on the chocolate digestive biscuit scandal.
waferthinninja

Postby waferthinninja » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Pete wrote:Our games were filmed so if they make the cut and Johno commentates and publishes them I'm really interested to see how many unintentional play mistakes were made. Did either of us take 5 clicks, take extra monies, forget to pay for stuff, forgot to apply effects, that sort of thing. Everyone does it, but I am I a proper baddie? I suspect that I am.

I've started watching matches on YouTube quite a lot, and I'm always amazed how many mistakes get made (and missed) even by top players. Its almost every game *something* gets misplayed.

I'm terrible for it, but generally only in ways that hurt me - forgetting my own ID ability, forgetting to take Underworld Contact/Data Folding credits, forgetting to take Datasucker tokens (I'd say I only remember this about 25% of the time!).

Started to play Adam last night - forgot to take my Safety First card almost every time it was due. Tried to Career Fair out hardware about 3 times (though caught myself each time and took it back).

I'd like to say I'm getting better with practice but I'm really not sure I am!

Return to “Reading”