Game of Thrones :: Eclectic Tourneys

Moderator: Johno

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pete

Game of Thrones :: Eclectic Tourneys

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am

Cracking turnout at the Game of Throne's tourney at Eclectic Games yesterday: er, 16-18 folk for Reading's first ever 2nd Edition constructed tourney.

Lots of new faces too, with James, Joey, and I being the only folks there from the NetRunner crowd. Attendance was swelled by lots of folk from the Legend of the Five Rings crowd popping in. With the L5R brand being on hiatus as it transforms from a CCG into an LCG, I guess the L5R crowd are decamping to GoT.

Format was 5 rounds of Swiss, 1 hour rounds, no knockout. Happily there were no byes. For all the chatter about the current swingy-ness of GoT, I believe the winning player went undefeated on the day (?) with a Lannister deck. I suspect that there's some skill that I and others are missing in terms of strategy and tactics to minimise variance: I'm interested to find out what that is.

I went 2-3 on the day playing Baratheon-Night's Watch. I didn't have any "stomps" in the games I lost and two of them were really close, but a loss is still a loss. Still, I felt pretty good, had a fun time, some good play interactions. My MVP was the combination of The Iron Throne and The Painted Table: that combo kept me in the game Power-wise until I could marshal enough characters to control the board state and close the game. In one game against Reading Joel I experienced a complete board wipe in terms of characters against his Stark Military deck... and two turns later I won the game through marshaling the brothers Baratheon and some chud: the Iron Throne+Painted Table kept me in the game while I recovered.

The participation prize --Tumblestone Knight from House Stark, see below -- is a bit underwhelming. It's "free" and I'll take it, but it lacks the glamour of the thematically eye-burning Popup Window or the joy of the Chaos Theory ID from the NetRunner alt-arts. Is this the start of a series where the alt-arts for Game Night Kits in GoT are lowly knights and chuds from each faction?

I'm enjoying GoT for two reasons mainly: it is doing an excellent job of capturing the theme of the source material; and it's not NetRunner. I can get a bit NetRunner'd out at times and having another game to hand that I can switch out to to break up the play is good. (I'm not too fussed about whether the other game is GoT or Doomtown or whatever.)

Thanks for running the tourney James! Milkshake is on me next time.

#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
MartinP
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Game of Thrones :: Eclectic Tourneys

Postby MartinP » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:14 am

Glad to hear it was a good day, unfortunately the 2 GoT events were too closely packed for me to do both however there im currently deciding on whether i come to the store champ!
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Martin, the Store Champs would be much enriched by your being there. I enjoyed playing against you at the last tourney.

You've heard of Lannister gold of course, but I'd relish the chance to show you Lannister steel... to the face.

Plus, you know, Shakeaway! :D
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm

1.Ryan Wood 4-1-0 Lannister-rose
2.Matthew Slade 4-1-0 Lannister-kraken
3.Kevin Richardson 4-1-0 Martell-rose
4.Michael Couldwell 3-2-0 Lannister-rose
5.James Nowecki 3-2-0 Targaryen-fealty
6.Ryan Perry 3-2-0 Stark-watch
7.Darren Hazelden 3-2-0 Night's Watch-wolf
8.Dave Ruddock 3-2-0 Greyjoy-stag
9.Joey McMillan 3-2-0 Targaryen-fealty
10.Miguel Aja 2-3-0 Night's Watch-sun
11.Dave Russell 2-3-0 Lannister-rose
12.Pete Shablam 2-3-0 Baratheon-watch
13.Carl Perry 2-3-0 Lannister no agenda
14.George Ankers 1-4-0 Tyrell-Kraken
15. Joel Pearson 1-4-0 Stark-fealty
16. Matt Angels (spelling unsure) 0-5-0 Greyjoy-Rose
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 pm

This might as well turn into a permanent thread for AGoT in Reading.

I was exceptionally pleased with the turnout of 16 yesterday. Most of these were new players so I don't think we were piggybacking or cannibalising any other games (except AGoT 1.0 and L5R but tbh who cares about that). I carried the torch for Reading with 3 crushing wins, a lockout loss to the eventual winner and a narrow loss on an opening hand that I probably should've mulliganed.

I think everyone had fun, and I'm hoping that the same players will travel to the next tournament.

The overall winner finished in the top 4 at Stahleck this year and is obviously someone to be feared. I had no leverage in the game I played against him and felt outplayed at every turn. Tywin with a duped seal of the hand made me very sad. I learned a lot and I found I need to get better with my defensive play.
Joey

Postby Joey » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:31 pm

You can dupe seal of the hand?!?
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:34 pm

MartinP

Postby MartinP » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:06 am

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:19 pm

There's a Reading GNK on 24th January run by my good friend George. I'm missing it due to the Brighton netrunner 'regional'.

Return to “Reading”