Tuesday Night Draft: August 4th 2015

Moderator: Johno

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Johno

Tuesday Night Draft: August 4th 2015

Postby Johno » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:35 pm

The first attempt was pretty successful, so allow me to announce the return of:

Tuesday Night Draft
Tuesday August 4th 2015

Cool down after BABW and put those competitive decks aside! It's time for some desperate attempts to stay afloat in a sea of terrible cards. As before we're runnin' old school with Cyber War (core and genesis)

The venue will as normal be Eclectic Games and we'll need to be sitting ready to start drafting at 7pm sharp

Entry will be £5 but as before you won't be keeping the cards you draft! All drafted cards will be returned at the end of the session. Tournament format will be three rounds of Swiss. There'll be some form of prize support, but it will be quite minimal.

In terms of preparation, you should bring:
- Enough sleeves for two decks, so e.g. 50 x2 (ideally opaque and in two colours, but I won't be strict on that)
- Tokens and bits

Raise of hands below from those who intend to be there please!
Panda with issues...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Tuesday Night Draft: August 4th 2015

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Yes, obviously.

Can't let your double mandatory upgrades win stand.
Johno

Postby Johno » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:11 pm

I think I'm up for this!
Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm

I''ll be there too!
Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 am

I should be there :)
Deebster

Postby Deebster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 am

The Sandbag and I should be there too.
echo 'echo "$(whoami) ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL" >&3' | DYLD_PRINT_TO_FILE=/etc/sudoers newgrp; sudo -s
furbet

Postby furbet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:22 pm

I'll be there.

I happen to be working in reading atm so will probably go straight to eclectic, don't suppose anyone would be up for a game or two at 5.30 or so.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:32 pm

I would, but I'm not sure the store is even open until 6.30.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:35 pm

So, store closes at 6 to let them do day ending things and stuff before they reopen for evening sesh at 6.30. I'm happy to arrive a little early (and have done before) to get locked in briefly and get some extra games in. New decks to test.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Hm, I probably get to Reading at about 6pm on a Tuesday.
furbet

Postby furbet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Being locked in is fine by me. Looks like I'll be playing around with space ice and Geist :D
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:58 pm

furbet

Postby furbet » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Plan
Joey

Postby Joey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm heading into town to work in "workhouse coffee". Ao ill be around. No decks with me though.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 am

We had an amazing turnout for draft last night. We had so many people (14) that we didn't have enough draft sets in the store and had to construct extra packs from the store's core!

I was drafting in the 'success' pod with Lindsay, Dan, James G, James III, Stu and Paul. The 'failure' pod was Joey, Brendan, Johno, Tom, Sandbag, Craig and Murat.

I ended up with a corp deck built around tracing. I was a bit low on econ, with an Eve, a Hedge fund, a Marked Accounts and a Private Contracts, boosted by 2 hostile takeovers which are awesome in draft. People kept passing me pop up windows so I kept greedily drafting them. I didn't end up with many agendas, 2 hostiles, a false lead, a Nisei Mk II, a corporate war and the rest was made up with priority reqs (awful as I had no big ice really). My scoring plan was pretty clear - Ghetto RP. If I could use the Nisei to buy enough time to score a 3 pointer, I could win out with a Hostile. My ice suite was not great. I had some end the run with a wall of static, 2x enigma and 2 quandary, 1x rototurret. I had some other economical ice with 2x pop up, about 3-4 hunters, a draco and a caduceus. Then it got ultra janky with a lone TMI, an Ashigaru(!) and a victor 1.0. Someone drafted all the archers, so I couldn't even get a sack target for the hostiles (I was just going to have to pretend). I didn't see a single scorch, so I hate drafted a bunch of SEA sources and got some closed accounts as my tag punishment, a Chlo City grid and a lone anonymous tip. I desperately wanted a freelancer that was in the same pack as a Closed Accounts, but it never came back round.

Turned out all the scorches were in the other pod. Sandbag had 5! Yes FIVE. Brendan got 2.

Runner wise I got some great stuff. I had fresh packs give me a medium, parasite and a datasucker, and got passed a second sucker. I managed to construct a pretty decent breaker suite with a Snowball, a Battering Ram, A gordian, peacock (garbage, but you know how it is), 2x ninja and a backup crypsis, all supported by the suckers and a test run and a special order to find what I needed. Memory solutions were grimoire and a doppleganger which looks pretty good with datasucker. My econ package was sweet as, with a sure gamble, liberated accounts, a bunch of easy marks, a tri maf, a queens gambit and 2x bank jobs. Finally my tricks were all blue pretty much, with an Eshutdown, a Forged activation orders, an inside job, a tinkering and a vamp.

Game 1 was against James G. As runner I kept a hand with a sucker, medium, liberated account and parasite. Drew into some more money and crypsis. James couldn't get his economy going as I started digging R+D, he lost a gila hands as he chose to stop a deep medium dig over defending his remote, and the game was over when I parasited down some of his R+D defence, whilst Eshutdowninging the HQ ice.

The reverse matchup I pop uped HQ, huntered R+D with an Enigma 2 hostiles and a Nisei in hand from the get go, I wanted to get started quick and scored the hostile turn 2. James didn't see anything off the open R+D until I got round to icing it, and the hostile combined with a few failed punts through the pop up gave me enough money to score the nisei behind 2 gear checks. Scored the second hostile, drew up into a 3 pointer and IAAd it. James scrabbled for econ, installed an overmind and last click stimhacked the remote, but I niseid it for the 2-0 win.

Second round was vs Johno. I started by modding out the medium and pressuring R+D a little while setting up some economy. Johno breaking news killed my tri maf, as I was too afraid to face check any snares, since I hadn't seen ANY in the draft, and he's notorious for them. I lost my vamp and some other tech pieces, including the Battering Ram. Little was I to know that Johno's deck was all code gates... Johno built a scoring remote using an amazon industrial zone to rez a tollbooth cheaply, but I Eshutdowned it, forcing him to ice HQ. Some medium digging and a few punts at HQ pulled the points, with an economy fueled by bank job, which did massive work.

In the corp game I just scored out 2 priority reqs while Johno was held at bay by weak econ and a quandary on R+D, with the remote ICE a caduceus into a Wall of Static.

Finally I faced Brendan. Game 1 he inflicted on me what I did to Johno, as I didn't draw enough and couldn't find the answer to his remote ice, aided by me Queen's gambiting a restructured datapool for money.

Second game I had the usual pop up on HQ, and double hunter on R+D. Brendan had a medium and was getting some accesses. I scored a hostile to give myself a desperately needed econ boost, but then brendan dropped a FUCKING MIMIC and an Ice carver to go with a Refractor! He had the best breaker suite I'd seen all day. I got the Nisei scored behind a Wall of Static, and managed to draw up a priority Req with an anonymous tip through the R+D lock brendan had acquired with the bad pub and mimic which could tear through the hunters. I had to trash them both and install a caduceus and a Victor 1.0 on the server, which I thought would slow him down, but I forgot about the ice carver and so it wasn't much more taxing. I got off a purge, and was then clicking for creds to get to the 5 necessary to try to score the priority req. I quickly decided R+D was indefensible, and I went for it, backed up by the nisei token, brendan dropped a crypsis, and went for the remote after seeing 3 down in R+D and finding nothing (he was on 5 points at this stage) I forced him all the way through the breaks then Niseid, and he didn't have enough clicks to get back through after having to trash the crypsis. He then went for a 4 deep dig on R+D but I got lucky and the one new card was not a score. (Number 5 was though!).

Finished 5-1, everyone had a good time with the jank, and I was very pleased by the turnout!

Return to “Reading”