Tournament: October 3rd 2015

Moderator: Johno

Johno

Tournament: October 3rd 2015

Postby Johno » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 am

Following the lows and lowers of our jank tourney, we're returning to our "normal" format for October
October Tournament
Saturday October 3rd 2015

We'll be at Eclectic Games; doors open and registration from 10am; first round starts at 11am. Entry £5.
Five rounds of Swiss, with some minor prize support. All cards up to Universe of Tomorrow will be legal. Data and Destiny will NOT be legal.

NB: Eclectic are moving! This will be our first tournament in our exciting new venue with our new larger games room. Come along to be part of history! The new venue is on Union Street (which locals will know affectionately as Smelly Alley!), I believe at the Broad Street end (the less smelly end!) but should be obvious from the store front.

See you there!
mendax

Re: Tournament: October 3rd 2015

Postby mendax » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:36 am

Clashes with a Bristol GNK, alas.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Johno, Universe of Tomorrow was released yesterday. The Eclectic move is happening this coming week, so Eclectic is shut I think Monday through Friday for the move, so this will be the inaugural tournament at the new venue. I'll find the piece of paper to check dates and addresses.
Johno

Postby Johno » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Panda with issues... wrote:Johno, Universe of Tomorrow was released yesterday. The Eclectic move is happening this coming week, so Eclectic is shut I think Monday through Friday for the move, so this will be the inaugural tournament at the new venue. I'll find the piece of paper to check dates and addresses.

Ah cool. Good to know, will update first post.
Yastobaal

Postby Yastobaal » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:46 am

Panda with issues... wrote:Eclectic is shut I think Monday through Friday for the move

So nothing happening on the 22nd? or the 29?
Johno

Postby Johno » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Yastobaal wrote:
Panda with issues... wrote:Eclectic is shut I think Monday through Friday for the move

So nothing happening on the 22nd? or the 29?

Eclectic is shut Monday to Friday this week (i.e. 21st to 25th). There'll be no Netrunner night tomorrow night, but we should be in our new digs next Tuesday (29th).
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm

If you're itching for Netrunner, we've a mini-tournament in Oxford next Monday (28th).

I've a thread here with details, and I try to keep it updated.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:14 am

I am come to this with much very joy. I am hazzing decks from the last time I played which was ~3 months ago. (Leela and Butchershop as I recall.) Amazeballs me with your new cards, stupendous me with your improved banter, crushing me with all new pleasure strategies!

I will be on the usual 8:15am train if anyone from Oxford fancies going early to get some nosh in before the slaughter.
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:50 am

Huzzah!
Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:53 am

Well... darn.

I'm not coming to this :cry: I completely forgot that I'm mentoring kids at CoderDojo in Oxford this Saturday. Yay for automated reminders.

Oh well. I will take what crumb of comfort I can from the thought that I am helping the next generation of actual hackers bloom while you lot are duking it out as virtual hackers.

Still... that crumb is pretty damn small. Infinitesimally small really. I haven't played in ages and I was quite looking forward to it. Next month then. Best of luck to Brendan and Stu in regaining The Bell.

Shizen!
#yoloswagginsblazeit420MLGNoSc0pe :: it's the only way I roll.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 am

Pete wrote:Well... darn.

I'm not coming to this :cry: I completely forgot that I'm mentoring kids at CoderDojo in Oxford this Saturday. Yay for automated reminders.

TBF that's a pretty cool excuse.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:36 am

Sorry I couldn't make this; suffering from some horrible virus. :(
Good luck all! Looking forward to updates.
AlexW

Postby AlexW » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Oh dear, I stole Jerry's cards.

Jerry, let me know whether you're okay with waiting until the next tourney to get your 2xPublic Support, Product Placement and Franchise City back, or if something in Oxford would be more convenient.

Tournament report: Technically I didn't come last! Hooray! At least everyone I played seemed to find Silhouette and NBN:MN interesting, and I had fun as usual. Netrunner: even fun when you're losing consistently.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Brendan wrote:Sorry I couldn't make this; suffering from some horrible virus. :(
Good luck all! Looking forward to updates.

After all the years of being abused by your Noise decks all we could say when Stu gave us the news was 'how appropriate!'.

Needs more CVS.

Without you Brendan, the bell ended up in the scorched claws of Aldershot, with Swiftie finally pulling out a long deserved victory.

Top four was IIRC:

Dave Etherington: Andy/NEH: 7-3
James Nowecki: Whizzard/NEH: 7-3
Dave Saiya: Kate/NEH: 6.5-3
Joey McMillan: Fisk/NEXT design 6-4

Dave and I were tied on Wins and SOS and so it defaulted to opponents' combined SOS where Dave finally acquired the bell.

Deck wise, I think all the NEH players were running Team Sponsorship (unsurprisingly), and Dave E and I were running Turtlebacks decks pretty similar to the one popularised by Spags/hhoo/whoever. TBH, the deck builds itself. I'd managed to squeeze a Crisium in because I thought recurring it with Team Sponsorship was probably pretty useful. Annoyingly, Leela could just bounce it again on her ID trigger, but in other matchups it was solid.

I got loads of work out of Whizzard's ID credits, but the deck overall just didn't cut it (5 NEH wins, and only 2 from the Whizz, though most of the games were quite close). I struggled financially, and generally just didn't have enough clicks to check remotes, draw for answers and install stuff as well as clicking Kati/Liberated for money. Last time I was playing anarch was MaxX and I really missed the free draw. It was based off the L4J Woolley shell, and I'm not sure it's up to snuff any more, it also has no HQ pressure.

Couple of DLR mill decks (including Joey). The NEH was too fast for the one I played (J/Gerry).

I split with Johno, Stu and Dave Saiya, won two against J/Gerry and Chris (who got agenda flooded awfully in his corp game). Chris is improving rapidly, and I think finished with 5 wins, consolidating a solid performance at the Jank tournament last month.

Some funny moments: Johno planted a AA AggSec and lost his chameleons to Harrison, who is far more devious than his straight-laced brother. I scored a Breaking news on a San San, used Team Sponsorship to dig an Astro out of the bin, installed it on the San San, advanced for click 3 and scored it in the same turn with an astrotoken. Sweet Squid Team Sponsorship is busted. Really tight game between Stu and Joey went down to the wire as Stu was being milled to death, but Joey didn't quite have enough Fall Guys to generate the cash to beat an Ash trace and steal the winning NAPD, in what must have been the closest game of the day. I had a really interesting game as Adam vs Stu's 24/7 scorch SYNC deck. 24/7 is going to be a metagame defining card I think, and I couldn't quite steal enough agendas to get out of double scorch range. Never saw my public sympathies, and ended up on a 7 card hand size rather than 8 due to a pesky news team. Definitely worth thinking about.
chewie

Postby chewie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I had a really good day up until the last round were I was in the lead on 5.5 games but then lost both games to Dave E being pipped by astro and forgetting about a rezzed San san on the board and then getting flooded to absolute death in my corp game (Dave won by running my archives and finding 3 points as I could find anywhere else to stash the dam things) oh well better luck next time! I was absolutely drained after that slog out with Joey the round before man that was a tight game dlr milling is dam real now since wireless net pavilion came out. Anyways cheers to Johno and the crew for hosting, really liking the new venue!
Rotage

Postby Rotage » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:38 am

Was a good tournament, still have issues with my runner deck, went 5-0 as corp but 1.5-3 as runner. Cheers to Johno who had to do all the round pairings and SoS by hand due to a technical issue.

For those who can't wait until the next Reading tournament we'll be having one in Aldershot on the Saturday 17th October (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=965) There may even be a trophy on offer for the winner....
Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:07 am

Cool reports guys; interesting Whizzard wasn't pulling his weight (heheh) in a meta dominated by assets. That says a lot, to be honest - Anarchs cards just aren't good enough without an ID power that really glues the deck together.

I'm feeling a lot better today, and I'm itching for some Netrunner. Next time, Reading! Is anyone going to Aldershot?
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 am

Brendan wrote:Cool reports guys; interesting Whizzard wasn't pulling his weight (heheh) in a meta dominated by assets. That says a lot, to be honest - Anarchs cards just aren't good enough without an ID power that really glues the deck together.

I'm feeling a lot better today, and I'm itching for some Netrunner. Next time, Reading! Is anyone going to Aldershot?

I think so, not sure what I'll play though. Played a bit of Chronos Protocol, but the deck is not easy to build.
mendax

Postby mendax » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:52 am

Take your whizzard deck, change it to Val and add a couple of scrubbers. You're now whizzard, but better.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:59 pm

mendax wrote:Take your whizzard deck, change it to Val and add a couple of scrubbers. You're now whizzard, but better.

Not convinced that's the problem actually, you still need to find and install the scrubbers. The issue was generally lack of time to do everything, suggesting to me the solution would be more likely play MaxX or Wildside/Chronotype/Faust. I got lots out of the ID credits. Whether trashing the cards hurt the opponent enough, well, that's a different story.

Having been on the other side of the problem (playing Sponsorship/Turtlebacks NEH), I won 2 or 3 games without requiring TS or Turtlebacks at all. Just being NEH was enough with considered play, rush and risk management. I think it's a strong archetype.
Swiftie

Postby Swiftie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 am

After playing a few games against Dave S yesterday i think team sponsorship might be better in its actual faction. Sure you don't have astro, but the ICE is just that much better.

It got to the point in one game where i had to really ICE up R&D but had very little taxing ICE outside of trollbooth. I think it was something like architect, wraparound, wall of static, toll booth, architect. Most of them were installed for free but taxing a shaper deck was vary hard. Could not overdraw the agendas since i was fearing HQ pressure, so they had to move from R&D into my score area.
If you don't like my ID, just shake it off.
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:24 pm

I think we should not use a winter kit for the dec tournement as I don't think I can make it and I want that day job playmat so badly.
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Joey wrote:I think we should not use a winter kit for the dec tournement as I don't think I can make it and I want that day job playmat so badly.

Sucks to be you then. Show more dedication!
Rotage

Postby Rotage » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 am

Panda with issues... wrote:
Joey wrote:I think we should not use a winter kit for the dec tournement as I don't think I can make it and I want that day job playmat so badly.

Always nice to see the caring side of the Reading meta :)
Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 am

Rotage wrote:
Panda with issues... wrote:

Always nice to see the caring side of the Reading meta :)

What? Sympathy the same level as last tournament when Joey was playing that DLR mill deck and still went to time, begging for an extra turn: NONE AT ALL.

Besides, it's one less player who is better than me getting out of the way for what looks like my favourite GNK they've released yet! :lol:

I like literally all the components.

Probably going to ask Eclectic to order 4 of these kits.

Return to “Reading”