28/2/2015 Aldershot SC 3rd/10 'Check EVERY Remote'

Panda with issues...

28/2/2015 Aldershot SC 3rd/10 'Check EVERY Remote'

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Sets legal up to and including Order and Chaos.

Deck Lists:

Corp:

Identity
Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center (Upstalk)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)

Asset (10)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Daily Business Show (All That Remains)
2x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
3x Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus)

ICE (15)
1x Lotus Field (Upstalk) •
1x Tollbooth (Core Set)
3x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)
2x Quandary (Double Time)
2x Architect (Up and Over) •• ••
1x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) ••
1x Swordsman (Second Thoughts) •
1x Bastion (Creation and Control)

Operation (9)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set) •••• ••••
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)

Upgrade (4)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)
1x Crisium Grid (First Contact) •

Total Cards: 49
Total Influence: 17
Acoo: Android Netrunner Deck Builder

Runner:

Identity
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (21)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
2x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
2x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) •• •• ••
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••

Hardware (10)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
2x Cerberus "Lady" H1 (All That Remains)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)

Program (5)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between) ••••
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••

Resource (3)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: 46
Total Influence: 15
Acoo: Android Netrunner Deck Builder

Background and the Venue:

3 of us (myself, Joey and Matthew) made the trip from Reading to Aldershot for their Store Championship at The Games Shop (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Games-Shop-Aldershot/143877639007027). The Aldershot boys had made the trek to Reading for our SC last month and we were keen to show them a taste of their own medicine, as Dan had managed top 4 at Reading, higher than any of the NeoReading Collective... (http://netrunners.co.uk/forumdirectory/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=472#p6896). It wouldn't be the sweet revenge we are hoping for over Brendan, but it would have to suffice. I hadn't been to the store for years, but it seemed a nice enough venue. A big (if a little empty) shop floor with an ok selection of boardgames and loads of Games Workshop stuff. Not to my taste any more, but fair's fair. The really great part of the venue though are the upstairs game rooms. They had something like 3 or 4 floors in total with acres of space. I saw at least the room we were in which could probably have fitted maybe 40 at a pinch, a slightly smaller room which some roleplayers were using and there was at least another floor I never went to which was labelled 'Wargames', which I can only imagine was bigger again. In homage to the Run Last Click boys, the obligatory toilet review - they were fine. The venue was warm enough, which I was pretty pleased about, as Eclectic in Reading is normally freezing. On the whole, a good venue I think.

Organisation:

Matthew had asked them a few weeks prior to the event how many players they were expecting and got the answer 'Oh 30 or 40 or so'. I took this with a serious pinch of salt, as Reading had 21 or something, and is a more accessible venue by train from London etc. Turns out they thought he was asking about the X-wing SC, there were in fact 10 players, and Rob, who did a great job of TOing. Despite the small size of the turnout, the field felt strong. Notable players attending:

Iain Reid - Last year's nationals runner up, 2015 Dark Sphere store champion (http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/london%20store%20championship%20report.html) in a very strong field of 60+ players, Aldershot local hero.
Dave Etherington (?) - Made the cut at DS 2015 SC, finishing 7th or something.
Laurie Poulter - Brighton's travelling man, finished 3rd at the Reading SC in a strong field, Stimhack league top 4 player, etc.
Joey McMillan - Made the cut at nationals last year.

We were in for 4 rounds of swiss and a cut to a top 4 double elimination.

Swiss:

Game 1: Vs Matthew Long (NeoReading Collective), playing Making News and The Professor.

The first pairings were read out by Rob, and Matt groans. It was quite inevitable that the 3 Reading players from his car might see each other in a small field, but he wasn't pleased to get drawn against me round 1. He lives 2 minutes from my house, and works from home, so we sometimes play test games on our lunch breaks, in addition to at the regular Reading Tuesday night meetup. As a consequence we've been decktesting a lot coming into tournament season, and I know his decks inside out. We'd discussed what he should bring on Friday lunchtime, and I'd convinced him to bring his Making News. I told him that he'd be insane not to bring a deck that went 4-1 in a strong field at the Reading SC.

I win the flip, and opt to corp. Get a hand with a bit of ice, some economy and no meaningful agendas. Unfortunately he pulls 5 points (Astro, Beale, Breaking news) through early pressure and ice porosity by maybe turn 3. I grit my teeth, and prepare for a tough game. I'm going to have to pull something serious out of my ass to win this one. I manage to ice up and seal up and stem the bleeding. Matthew is struggling for economy, having to trash the steady stream of San Sans, Jacksons and Daily Business Shows, he can't find his imp, and is perpetually too poor to trash the drip econ of pads and marked accounts - Daily Business Show says NBN stock soars (or it would, if it wasn't what was being trashed over the econ). Eventually Matthew is too poor to trash a San San behind a bastion (with another San San on the table). I have loads of money now. I know I have a scoring window but no agendas, and make the tough decision to biotic, fast track, score an astro on a San San. Turned out to be the right decision, as R+D was sealed tight behind 5 pieces of ice, and I could just score the remaining agendas as they trickled into hand. Close game, but a good start, and I felt like I had really earned the win after Matthew's early pressure and pulls.

We reverse the matchup and Matthew grumbles good naturedly about how my Kate deck is a rough matchup for his Tagstorm deck. He's seen the evolution of this deck first hand as it developed from a janktastic Kit deck into the lean beast it has become in Kate. It's only dropped 1 game to the overall winner Brendan at Reading SC, and beat him in the previous Reading tournament. I'll put a deck discussion at the end, but the pertinent point here is that Matthew knew I kept the Cyber Cyphers from the Kit deck. One of the main pieces of ice in his MN deck is Viper, and Cyber Cypher goes through it like a hot knife through butter. Cyber cypher goes through everything like it's tissue paper, but I appreciate that it can be annoying to have your splashed ice feel ineffective. Matthew does his best and ices up both centrals. I keep and opening hand with decent economy and pressure options but no PPVP, and run to make him rez. R+D ice is viper, he boosts the traces a little, I lose a click and bounce. He's poor after rezzing, I slap a parasite on the HQ viper. He establishes a remote and slaps down a manhunt. The viper goes down, SMC on the table, legwork. Install Lady to get through the wraparound, pull a Beale and an Breaking News Manhunt goes away, I clear the tag. He IAs in his remote. I'm poor, run, it's another viper. Annoying. He scores out an NAPD. i get some economy back, keep up the HQ pressure and pull another 2 pointer (NAPD?) from his hand. I have tools to put this away now. Get some economy back, install cyber cypher on R+D, index, find the Astro and that's the game.

Joey was on the table next to us, and he's taken a 2-0 loss. Surprising for him.

Game 2: Vs Laurie Poulter (Brighton), playing NEH and Andromeda.

I've not played Laurie before, but know him from reputation, and saw him play some seriously top tier netrunner to take 3rd at the Reading SC.

I end up corping first, and have a hand with two Sweeps, no agendas but only a Pop Up for ice. I have a think and decide there's no way I'm mulliganing this. Install over R+D, double sweeps. Even with a Siphon, my econ is sorted. Laurie says I'm lucky he has everything but the siphon, and I got away with it. Typical Andysucker opening. I draw up and find some ice and start closing up servers. He finds the pop up on R+D and scores an NAPD. We discuss for a minute about my opening and why I didn't put the pop up over HQ and bluff a gear check ice. I tell him I play against players at Reading (notably Mike) who will happily spend a siphon to draw a rez to ensure the next one hits. He feels I still should have done it, we good naturedly continue the discussion about how after getting 16 credits for 2 clicks I wasn't that worried about a siphon. He suggests that the worse side effect is the 10 credit boost to him, I agree that that would be annoying, we basically decide both sides have a solid point and continue playing. I score a News, an beale and an astro through a San San, I have a tollbooth sealing R+D. He siphons, doesn't care about tags, I trash his sec testing. He starts to exert some pressure on HQ as he digs for what I assume is a Femme. He shuts the tollbooth down, I rez again and my economy is mostly gone after a second siphon. He finally finds the Femme, has a couple of R+D interfaces out and starts to lock. Scores another NAPD I think, trashes a Jackson to stop me drawing through. I'm not TOO concerned about the lock, as I have an NAPD in hand, and I'm waiting for a fast track, biotic or something to close out the game. I decide that enough is enough. Laurie has been pretty blase about checking remotes (namely he hasn't been bothering) I install the NAPD to draw install over the Femme'd tollbooth and know that I've won if he doesn't find 3 points in R+D because I have a live astrotoken and he's not been checking the remotes, unfortunately he finds the 3 points in R+D after a couple of digs and trashes. Exceptionally close game, as I show him the NAPD, and he laughs and admits he should have been checking more thoroughly.

We move on to the other matchup.

He ice ice sweeps, and wishes I was playing Andromeda. I hold a hand with a pre paid and 2 lucky finds. Start running. He rezzes an Errand Boy over HQ. Nice splash, works really well over HQ and R+D as you can draw through lock if you really want, mess with indexing runs etc, or draw up to reduce the chance of agendas getting found in HQ, has synergy with DBS. I think I find an NAPD. I hit an architect click 4 on R+D but he doesn't have the 3 creds to make a score of it. Reinstalls a daily business show I trashed previously, ices up R+D. I have loads of economy and proceed to go about trashing his assets as best I can, while I frantically dig for some tutoring in my deck. He biotics out the astro, and the chain is real. He topdecks no2 and scores it. I know I'm in a rough position. He tries to score an NAPD but I get in and grab it. I have to resort to SOTing a test run to try to find answers after he scores a breaking news. I test run the mimic, and consider whether I want to take a punt at his hand or make a desperation maker's eye run 3 accesses vs 1. I go for it find nothing and he scores the Beale from hand. Laurie says he was a little flooded and wasn't surprised that I didn't find anything in R+D. We discuss whether the attempted NAPD score signalled his flooding. He asks about the deck, asked what the issue was. We agree that it wasn't that I wasn't drawing enough, I just got unlucky and didn't see any tutoring or clone chips.

Quick lunch break, nice to chat with people I haven't met before.

On to round 3.

Game 3: Vs Dave Etherington (Aldershot) Making News and Kate.

I corp first. Keep a hand with 2 Jacksons, 1 ETR ice for R+D and a few econ assets. He runs the open HQ, trashes Jackson. Keeps running. Finds the second Jackson. Puts his head in his hands, has a serious think and then makes ABSOLUTELY the right call to trash JHow number 2. Leaves him poor, but he knows I'll just shuffle the other Jackson back in if he doesn't do it. I draw up to find ice, but all I find are agendas. Shit. Wish I had those Jacksons right now... The rest of the game is a foregone conclusion, as I'm completely flooded. He picks agendas out of my hand, diligently checks remotes as I try to sneak them out. It's over quick.

The reverse matchup goes forward basically as everyone else in the room is just settling in to the midgame of their first half. I keep a hand with an SMC and legwork and some econ, as well as a PPVP. Pretty much perfect. Dave double ices centrals and hedges. I get the prepaid and the lucky find out, draw up. No reason to play Making News over TWIY or NEH unless you want to do something with tags, of which the obvious thing is scorch. Aldershot metagame seems basically very Weyland and scorch heavy - They're obviously all a bunch of violent bastards! :P
Dave installs manhunt and econs. I install SMC and legwork. Get a tag from the manhunt, pull a Beale and Manhunt goes away. Clear tag. Find a data raven over R+D, bounce!. Over the next few turns I pull an NAPD, Dave installs another Manhunt. Diligently clearing all these tags is massively taxing. I haven't seen any scorches, but Dave looks like the kind of man interested in burning my house down... I'm poor at 1 cred I think and Dave installs advances an NAPD behind some pop ups. I click one, 2 lucky find using the burst econ I'd held back and the ppvp creds. I steal it 3rd click and remove the tag. Dave is disappointed, as he was pretty sure sure I'd used all my burst econ. From here, the game was a formality, as his midseason threat is basically off the table. I don't care about the data raven counter as I index him and find the winning agenda. Postgame Dave asks me if I felt that the attempted NAPD score was a mistake. I think for a minute and say no, I don't think it was, based on what he had seen in my heap. I did tell him I like to hold a surprise lucky find or Dirty laundry back though for situations like this. The burst econ a ppvp deck can manage can be quite unexpected and scary though, so it's always a risk.

(Pause)

We're both sat at 3-3. We finished our set in under 20 minutes, and had a lot of downtime. Dave asks to play a friendly for practice with a similar deck to the one James finished top of the swiss with at Reading SC http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/15128/reading-uk-store-championship-2015-2nd-place-james-b. I'm happy to oblige as we've got 40 minutes, Dave was an excellent opponent, and everyone else is engrossed in their own games. We settle in to some easy conversation and discussion, chatting how suddenly Research station is basically a must trash now, out of nowhere. Chat about how to play against the deck etc, ice composition and so forth. How the runner needs to approach the matchup. Careful slow paced running finds the agendas I need and he can't hold the scorch/punitive pieces in hand after I trash the research station. We casually watch the end of some of the more exciting other swiss matches. My car mate Matthew is locked in one of the most bizarre games of netrunner I've ever seen. His professer is sat on 8 bad pub, and 5 points of individual 1 point agendas against one of the Aldershot locals' Argus Security deck (Told you they were all meanies in Aldershot!), I think the guy's name was Alex?. The servers are taxing, but with 8 free creds a run from bad pub, are they taxing enough? Alex is on 1 point scored and we're going close to time. The professor can do QUITE a lot with 8 bad pub and an SMC... Alex tries to get a score off in a scoring server 2 ice deep. Everyone's favourite university lecturer runs and the server self destructs in his face. Alex Jacksons the agenda back in to R+D along with some snares. I'm quietly pulling my hair out as there are a buch of clone chips in play, and Matthew is verbally toying with the idea of installing Sneakdoor from his heap. I can see that there's loads of agendas in Alex's hand, and the self destruct play smacked of desperation from an agenda flooded hand. Matthew could easily run archives and install Sneakdoor mid run using the bad pub and then Sneakdoor three times. Time is called, both players have one more turn, everyone is watching the hilarious conclusion to this game. Matthew elects to go for R+D. Gets through with bad pub, imps a scorch, runs again with the bad pub. Finds a copy of The Board. Not enough bad pub to trash, imp was used for the scorch! Alex installs it and rezzes. Matthew's 5 1-point agendas are now worth 0 points each and Alex gets a timed win on 1 point! The spectators went wild, and Joey and I were basically crying with laughter at the misfortune of our friend.

Final round of swiss: Vs Pete (Aldershot) Noise and Gagarin.

I'd not played Pete, but he 2-0d Joey in round one, so he was clearly no pushover.

He gets to corp first, and boots up his Gagarin deck. I'd been playing around with Gagarin since the release of O+C, and I was interested to see what he had to offer from the ID. He starts by icing HQ in what looks like an obvious builder into space ice setup and getting some remotes started. I econ up, run R+D to try to get a feel of what his deck's about. Don't find much. Run the remote - Pad, trashed for 5, taxing as hell. I'm keeping Pete poor, as he keeps installing remotes and installing ice over R+D. Advances it occasionally. I hit an asteroid belt over HQ, which locks me out for the moment. He Jacksons some agendas back through. I keep checking remotes. Can't afford to trash constellation protocol, which is annoying, as it is advancing his ice for free. He has a Paywall Implementation up, which combined with his ID ability means he has a free pop up window over every remote, and I have to check them ALL. Trash a data raven, 2 plascretes go up. Eat a snare, clear the tag. Occasionally find agenda. Keep checking the remotes. I miss an advanced NAPD and he scores it, leaves him on 0 - I index, find nothing but a 1 pointer. Run to steal it but he Jacksons to shuffle and puts some snares back in. He can't threaten the snare at 0 creds so I access anyway - NAPD. Sort of a win, Paywall goes away. Keep checking the remotes. SO TAXING. He has five ice over R+D, constellation protocol suggests he can rez them for nothing. I have a think. He's 2 Jacksons down now, 2 plascretes means there's no flatline threat left. All his ice is basically over R+D. If I keep eating the cost and checking remotes, there's no way he can score and win. He's been pitching cards and signalling agenda flood. I grab a david and a lady, run in to HQ, get agenda, puts me on 6 or something. Run archives, don't care about the Data Raven, find loads of points for the win. All my opponents were great at the tournament, but I particularly appreciated Pete's way of playing the game. He was exceptionally clear about his plays and how he used his clicks, which is always appreciated towards the end of a long day.

The flipside puts his Noise against my NEH. I get a decent enough opening hand and ice up, start dumping out remotes. He installs grimoire, installs Djinn. I'm a bit flooded, and keep icing up. He starts pulling imps from his deck to deal with my assets. I purge. He aesops the imp, gets another one, imps wrecked the Daily Business Show all day, like Gremlins or something. I purge. He deja vu's them back. I purge. He's low on econ and eventually I get the astrochain started through a San San or a Biotic, can't remember which. I have the agendas to just score out. I finish 5-3 and feel confident of making the cut.

Prizes are given out as we take a little break before double elims.

Double Elimination:

Top 4 was

1. Iain Reid (Aldershot)
2. Laurie Poulter (Brighton)
3. James Nowecki (Reading, Me)
4. Dave Etherington (Aldershot)

Dave and I chuckled at how we'd be seeing each other soon, as we'd both been 2-0d already by our prospective opponents earlier in the day.

Laurie opted to Andromeda, which I thought was an interesting call, since it was the much closer of our two games earlier in the day. Afterwards he said he chose it so that he would be able to corp next if he had to face Iain..

I knew basically every card in Laurie's deck by now, as it's a pretty standard Andysucker deck. Specifically I knew he was running Passport, and since I was running Lotus Field, fancied my chances. Had a hard think about my opening hand, which contained no econ, but no agendas either, 2 wraparounds, a San San and a Lotus field and I think a DBS? I'd lost against Laurie despite a double sweeps opening, so maybe it was time to change things up. Installed the 2 wraparounds over centrals, credit. Typical Andy opening. Laurie starts digging for breakers. I install the Lotus field, a quandry in front of it on a remote and the San San behind. I know Laurie's only answer is a Femme. Basically I just score out through this safe server and go to 7 points fast while Laurie is digging for answers. Laurie tried to legwork me when I had 2 Agendas in hand, but ate a Crisium Grid over HQ, found none of them. It was over fast. I was surprised Laurie wasn't running Cerberus Rex, which would be my pick for a decoder in Crim right now, but he's a much stronger Crim player than me, and already beat me with the deck earlier in the day. He said he held a hand with everything but breakers.

Hilariously Dave Etherington beat his nemesis Iain, so we were matched up in the winner's bracket. We'd joked that we'd see each other again, but both assumed it would be on the losing end of the Double Eliminations :P

We'd both corped 1st game, so sides were random. I ended up corping. This wasn't actually the matchup I favoured. I'd nailed his Scorching News earlier in the swiss, and he'd destroyed my NEH. What followed was a slog of a game, and one of the best games in a tournament full of good ones. I wasn't as flooded this time, though it still wasn't great, I iced up and econned, he started rigging up. Recurring imps were starting to trash all my remote assets. I lost an astro early to a speculative R+D run before I got sealed up. I knew game was hard. The key point of this game was a mistake I made when Dave made a third click R+D run faceplanting an architect. I already had 2 unseen remotes out (Pad and Beale). I opted to install an astroscript as a third remote, drew through using DBS to dump another agenda at the bottom of R+D, second subroutine fired and I installed the quandary Dave had parasited through to get into R+D in the first place in front of the astro, knowing I had enough econ to rez it and then get drip to score it next turn. Dave subsequently found no agendas in his 2 deep dig on R+D. One click left. 2 agendas out of three on the table in unchecked remotes. It was late in the day and I missed the fact that Dave had a clone chip on the table. He clones the parasite through the quandary and scores the astro. I score the Beale, but it's a consolation prize. If I'd have realised that he had the clone chip available, I'd have shoved the quandary in front of the pad, and Dave agreed that he definitely would have run whichever remote I iced. I'd have got the astro and almost certainly the game at that point. It just goes to show how absolutely awesome this game is. I was having to do some serious thinking late in the day, fiddling with architect, NEH ID ability and DBS interaction, and one missed variable ended up costing me the game. After I scored the Beale, we were both on 5 points. I still had a chance to win, as I sealed up R+D for good. Left me on low creds, but with a biotic in hand. It was a simple case of econning up and waiting for an agenda to win. Dave sensed his chance was slipping away (despite scoring the astro earlier) and he could feel my servers icing him out. He took note of my low credit pool and knew I couldn't rez the Ichi 1.0 on the inside of HQ this turn. He ran last click for a speculative access, and pulled the one in 5 agenda (NAPD) for the win. Immensely close game, and nice for Dave to win on home turf. I was kicking myself for that one mistake, but that's how you learn. I didn't mind losing to such a great opponent, and we'd gone 2-2 against each other over the course of the day.

Iain Reid had booted Laurie out of the Loser's Bracket, and so I dropped down to face him. I had to play Kate vs his Blue Sun, as I had corped twice already. Not much to say here, I mulliganed a weak hand with no plascrete into a weak hand with no plascrete. Iain iced HQ, hedged and credited. I ran open R+D, saw the SEA source and groaned inside. Ran HQ, bounced off a datapike. drew looking for plascrete. Iain iced HQ again and econned. I had to gamble that he didn't have all the pieces he needed and couldn't resist indexing an open R+D to try to score/push the other pieces down into R+D. No joy. I pushed a scorch to the bottom of the stack of 5 and ran again to trash a shattered remains. Iain slapped down the SEASS and that was that for my day. I settled in to watch two epic games of Dave vs his nemesis Iain, as Iain ground inexorably towards a home turf Store Champs win.

Deck Discussion:

Other than the scorch loss in DE, Kate only dropped 1 game all day, a close one to Laurie where I found no tutoring. Happy with the performance. Only change I'm considering in the deck for further tournament season is dumping the Deus Ex in favour of a single Atman. Cambridge PE doesn't show up much at the moment it feels like, and I've played against that matchup in other factions enough without Deus Ex recursion to feel it would be nice, but not necessarily necessary for me to play a competitive matchup against that deck, especially with indexing recursion to diffuse R+D and a levy. Deus Ex is still nice as an option in case of a surprise Komainu, but to be honest, I rarely run against Jinteki until I find the mimic, and it's much more efficient to just use the clone chips to burn low strength sentries down with parasite, to enable repeated accesses rather than recur the expensive Deus Ex, even in Kate. It's easy to crack clone chip at the end of your opponent's turn to get an extra 1cr discount due to Kate's ability, and it then gets a virus counter immediately at the start of yours. Deus Ex is still solid for big AP bioroids, but Dav1d is pretty much as effective and does so much work in this deck. Atman can then fill the void of a generic breaker for Str4 sentries, which means it can lighten the load on stuff like Sharpshooter recursion against problematic stuff like Ichi 1.0 right now, with mimic for 3- and dav1d for 5+, gives options for crap like archer too. Also atman at 4 lightens the tax on lady tokens for eli 1.0 etc.

This deck is a continuing iteration of the Kit deck I was running before Christmas, where I was running Cyber Cypher, tinkering, Femme/Yog.0osaurus and scavenge recursion. I really enjoyed that deck, but it kept losing ground in longer matchups. I eventually just called it a day, stripped out a lot of the Kit jank, and shoved the stuff that worked well (cyber cypher, scavenge, parasite recursion, legwork) into Kate. It ended up much stronger, with access to one of the best ID abilities in the game, as well as more influence, which I could use to retool the economy engine from the kit deck into PPVP engine with lucky find which s just much more strong. It also let me splash for Dav1d which is just amazing in every way, with easy access to scavenge, SMC and particularly test run. Cyber cypher is an all-star in a metagame where code gates are basically quandary (who wants to install yog.0 or gordian for that), Tollbooth and lotus field, as well as stuff now like builder and wormhole. The relevance of gordian has never been lower in my opinion, especially within the shaper faction.

Not much to say about the NEH deck. Pretty standard stuff, back from when I used to run asTWIYbiotic. Sick new yellow tech like Daily Buisiness show is gross in any deck, but also gives so much to astrobiotic for finding what you want, ditching what you don't, and providing a free draw when installed. Influence free JHow. Wraparound's relevancy has never been stronger with the advent of O+C tech like Eater/Keyhole. If I could fit in new awesome yellow stuff like reversed accounts I would. Architect is sick in this deck, and I removed the Neural Katanas I was using as sentries to punish facechecking for 2x architect and 1x Ichi 1.0. Ichi is great right now, filling that gap between mimicable and dav1d strength, as well as just being taxing with multiple subs. Architect has amazing synergy with NEH asset econ, San San, Daily Business Show, is decently taxing, can be rough to facecheck, and has the EXTRA bonus of being immune to being forked or parasited. Just need to work out how to fit in cyberdex virus suite in order to preemptively deal with clot...

I'll go with a controversial statement and suggest that the relevance and reliance on Eli 1.0 is at an all time low (outside HB and Replicating Perfection). I pulled it out of my yellow decks a while back and have no regrets at all. Lady smashed its taxing nature, knifed makes it straightforward to remove over parasite, and ultimately, I feel there are better options at 1 influence. Crisium grid has been awesome from release, but sorts out new shenanigans like eater keyhole, as well as old favourites such as Siphon, Legwork, indexing, The Maker's Eye, and is highly taxing to trash. Executive bootcamp is quietly a great card, and provides a much needed solution to Valencia blackmail decks for anyone looking to score out of a remote, both in terms of giving you the ability to rez ice outside of a run, as well as in Weyland, allowing you to pull a singleton Elizabeth Mills from R+D to remove the bad pub immediately. Lotus Field is Lotus Field. We can all pray for Herd Immunity from Yog.0 to hate it out of the metagame, or you can keep splashing it. Hell of a piece of ice still (even with cyber cipher!). Rainbow has a similar rez cost/strength as eli, has the advantage of having a hard end the run subroutine so you can't be siphoned through/ keyholed etc without breaker, and has multiple subtypes, protecting actual ice you care about from being trashed with silverware/cutlery. It's a reasonably taxing piece of ice in it's own right, costs no influence, and who's biggest weaknesses (multiple subtypes, yog.0+sucker) are now not as prevalent or can in certain ways as just discussed above be seen as an asset. Flame away people.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Re: 28/2/2015 Aldershot SC 3rd/10 'Check EVERY Remote'

Postby Chimpster » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:36 pm

That timed win from the other table was epic, great story :)

Great report though and some interesting thoughts at the end. I've been including yog in my decks again but with personal touch shenanigans to deal with lotus field and merlin etc. Found it has worked well of late.

Interesting meta atm, will be fascinating to see how it shifts after sansan starts.

Congrats on third :)
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 pm

Chimpster wrote:That timed win from the other table was epic, great story :)

Great report though and some interesting thoughts at the end. I've been including yog in my decks again but with personal touch shenanigans to deal with lotus field and merlin etc. Found it has worked well of late.

Interesting meta atm, will be fascinating to see how it shifts after sansan starts.

Congrats on third :)

Thanks. I think Yog.0 will be back with a vengeance with Net Ready eyes. It's just in hibernation!
lpoulter

Postby lpoulter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Nice write up, good to finally play you. See you at the next one no doubt :D
Rotage

Postby Rotage » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Good write up, was an enjoyable day, quite pleased to have got 5th place.
Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm

I may not have found it hugely funny at the time, but i'm glad I was part of that story :) At least I can say now that The Board has won people games first hand :)

For anyone wondering, the 8 bad pub came from 3 Hostile takovers being scored (2 of which were removed due to archer rez), me stealing 3 Vulcan Coverups and two Checkpoint's being rezzed. Since I had a cyber Cipher on HQ until the second archer was rezzed over it I was using the bad pub to break both of the Checkpoint's for 0 credits a run. 8 bad pub and 2 Sahasrara out meant I could install a Femme mid run for free...

The self destruct was a smart move in some ways, as the 3 net damage left me on 2 cards, and i'd already eaten 4 snares in this game and knew there was at least 2 more left due to Jackson shuffles, one probably in his hand as i'd not checked it in a while. So I levied to get myself back up to 5 cards (removing the sneakdoor from heap) and then decided rather than risking seeing a 1ptr or non agenda twice i'd hit R&d for two different cards.

Biggest lesson I learned from the day is I need to develop the sense of where agendas are better - at the Reading SC I made a glory run on HQ and accessed all cards there at the end of a game (god I love sneakdoor and nerve agent) only to find there was nothing there. This time the opposite was true :)

Still, I managed to score an Astrosript pilot program in a single turn from deck (Fast Track -> Install ->Psychographics + Astro token), so I can't complain ;)
Rotage

Postby Rotage » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Matthew wrote:

Still, I managed to score an Astrosript pilot program in a single turn from deck (Fast Track -> Install ->Psychographics + Astro token), so I can't complain ;)

Yeah not entirely sure why I left the tags, I think my brain stopped working for a bit during our first game! :)
Aldershot - Where the streets are paved with scorch

Swiftie - You will got to the special hell for taking Dyper to a 4 person event
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:06 pm

Rotage wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Yeah not entirely sure why I left the tags, I think my brain stopped working for a bit during our first game! :)

I think the fact you'd been at Wyldside, decided on an All-Nighter and then gone to Duggers the night before might explain that one ;)
Panda with issues...

Postby Panda with issues... » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Matthew wrote:

Biggest lesson I learned from the day is I need to develop the sense of where agendas are better - at the Reading SC I made a glory run on HQ and accessed all cards there at the end of a game (god I love sneakdoor and nerve agent) only to find there was nothing there. This time the opposite was true :)

The general assumption I normally make is that there is never a better time to hit R+D than the start of the game - Statistically this is when it's most fruitful. Because of how the game works, agendas trickle from R+D to HQ over the course of the game, where they do one of 3 things:

1) Get scored or stolen - You know where they are, and can then make decisions based on your estimation of agenda composition in your opponent's deck. In simple cases, you know 99% of the time what agendas they're running for decks like RP and NEH.
2) They get Jacksoned back through in to R+D, in which case that becomes more fruitful again.
3) They clog up in the hand, and it becomes a riper and riper target as the game progresses.

The strongest scoring decks at the moment (in my opinion) are NEH fast advance and RP. Both Do very well at avoiding HQ agenda clog. In the case of NEH, they can score from hand with San San, TOL or BL, and once the astro hits the table the important agendas are not staying in hand for long. It's the same case with RP, where once a Nisei Mk II is scored, they can just chain agendas together, and they get shoved straight in the scoring server. RP also has the annoyance factor of only 9 agendas, 3 of which are The Future Perfect. New tech like Daily Business Show only helps these decks even more to manage the risk of agendas in their hand until they can push them through and score them safely.

Return to “Tournament Reports”