07/03/2015 Birmingham Store Championships (16/29).

xiears

07/03/2015 Birmingham Store Championships (16/29).

Postby xiears » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Sets Legal: Up to and including Order & Chaos

I know what you are all thinking. I know what you all want.

“I want to hear a tournament report from someone who has never won a tournament, or even made a cut. Someone who consistently places middle of the pack (or sometimes below)!”

“I’m gasping to hear from someone who can only half remember the games he played, and will discuss things in a vague, hand-wavy sort of way! I especially want to hear it almost week after it happened, compounding the forgetfulness further!”

Well folks, I’ve listened, I’ll give you what you want.

Deck Lists

Runner

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (17)
2x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••
2x Net Celebrity (The Spaces Between)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
2x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (12)
3x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (2)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Faerie (Future Proof) •••
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
2x Gordian Blade (Core Set)

Program (8)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between) ••••
1x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
1x Net Shield (Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

Corp

The Foundry: Refining the Process (The Spaces Between)

Agenda (11)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
1x Eden Fragment (The Spaces Between)
1x Efficiency Committee (Creation and Control)
2x Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control)
1x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (7)
2x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
2x Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (2)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead)

Operation (8)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set)
2x Enhanced Login Protocol (The Spaces Between)
2x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Peak Efficiency (Up and Over)

Barrier (5)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
2x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing) ••

Code Gate (11)
2x Chum (Core Set) ••
2x Enigma (Core Set)
3x NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves)
2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) ••
2x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••••

Sentry (8)
2x Guard (Honor and Profit)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Pup (Honor and Profit) ••
2x Rototurret (Core Set)

Other (2)
2x Chimera (Cyber Exodus)
15 influence spent (max 15)
22 agenda points (between 22 and 23)
54 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

Decks built on NetrunnerDB.

So, these decks. I know what you’re thinking. A 54-card Corp deck?!?! To be honest I’m not sure why I went for it, or why I went for 2-of’s for the ICE instead of 3. It seemed like a good idea as I frantically tried to put them together at 11pm the night before, subbing in a single Efficiency Protocol to make the agenda count right. I did think about trying to add some anti Eater-Keyhole stuff, as I faced a nasty MaxX deck with it in my last SC, but seeing as I don't own Crisium grid, and Swordsman just doesn't cut it (heh), I end up hoping I don't see it. As for Kate, the deck was similar to one I’d took to a previous SC, but having just picked up Second Thoughts I added in the PPVPs. This was a bad idea, they proved useful in 1 game I played. Oh well!

The reports below are from memory, and mine is patchy at best, so apologies if I mix things up between games. If anyone I was playing reads this, first I’m sorry, and secondly if you do notice anything wrong let me know. Now onto the matches:

Game 1 - Neil C - The Foundry & Noise

ImageImage

Neil & I set-up in the slightly nippy atrium (it's fine, kept me alert!) outside the shop for our first game. He Corps first, setting up an IQ in front of R&D. I grab a Gordian Blade and install an R&DI, ready to get through. I steal 2 points, then Neil Punitive’s… and Punitive’s again… ‘Oh god please don’t have the third’... thankfully he does not. I see the Twins a couple of times, and do my best to trash it where possible, I don’t fancy hitting 2 Januses (Jani?!?) in a row. Neil gets more NEXT ICE on R&D but I manage to nip in to steal the winning agendas.

My turn to Corp, and I spent the first few turns trying to work out what type of Noise Neil was playing. Some crazy mill deck? Or a much more traditional runner set-up with the Noise milling an added bonus? After laying down an early Hades Shard, it seems to be the former, with Progenitors and Hiveminds coming out slowly but surely, then a Darwin and some Virus Breeding Grounds following soon after. Once I realise this I go into overdrive, scoring Agendas as soon as I can draw them, hoping to beat the oncoming onslaught. He gets a Medium out, but unfortunately for Neil his econ falls behind, and I get lucky with the Noise mills missing most of my agendas. The couple that do fall into Archives I pre-emptively Jackson on my turn. I then manage to score out a final ABT for the win.

End of round 1 (2-0)

Round 2 - Evil Gaz - The Foundry and Chaos Theory.

ImageImage

We flip and I’m up for Corp first. Gaz gets his Magnum econ going turn one, also stealing a 2-pointer from HQ early doors. I try to sneak out an agenda behind a single piece of ICE, but he manages to put the required breaker down before running making rezzing it moot. Desperate, I install-advance-advance behind a couple of pieces of ICE. Gaz then plays Escher to ensure that the 2 ICE in front are breakable and runs, hitting an Overwriter. However, he’s not going to let 2 measly brain damage bother him, and he manages to steal the rest of the points he needs from Archives to win.

(I call this one “The Tale of the Wandering Corroder”) - Time to run, first few turns I get my Astrolabe and Magnum out, along with a Gordian and Corroder. An extremely lucky early R&D run with a single R&DI nets me 2 2-pointers. However, the might of the Foundry’s ICE production reigns supreme, the 4th ICE guarding R&D turns out to be an Ichi 1.0, and I smack into it with 1 click left. Bang goes my Corroder. I Clone Chip it back out, and try to build back up. I manage to get into R&D again, only to find a Will o Wisp as an upgrade. Bye Bye Corroder. I Test Run it from the bottom of my deck the following turn for another dig, but there is a nasty Nebula in the way. With 7 ICE on R&D (from memory, so probably wrong: Something - Nebula - Nebula - Ichi 1.0 - NEXT Silver - Viper - Ice Wall (4 advancements)) and 5 on HQ, my breaker suite in the bin along with my Clone Chips, the jig is up. I dig frantically through my stack for some answer, hell, maybe I accidentally slipped another Corroder in there when building my deck?!? Sure, my deck would be illegal and it would be mightily unfair, but I can dream, right? Of course Gaz then Biotics and Trick of Lights out the final agendas to win.

(To read this from Gaz's POV go here, hell go there anyway for several great writeups!)

End of round 2 (2-2)

Round 3 - Brian C - Blue Sun & Noise

ImageImage

First I’m up against Blue Sun, which I’ve never played against before, this should be interesting. After Brian sets up I run R&D and bounce off a Data Raven, so I know we’re probably looking at some meat damage coming my way. After pulling back the Raven and some Oversight AI - Curtain Wall shenanigans, Brian is swimming in cash. I get some R&DIs set up and try again on a 2-unknown-ICE strong R&D. First up is a Curtain Wall. I SMC for D4v1d and burn it completely, only to find the same old Data Raven on the other side. This is where I get foolish. Despite the words ‘Sunk-cost fallacy’ swimming through my head I decide to not let my D4v1d counters go to waste and plough through the Raven regardless, giving me a tag and Brian a counter. The 3 cards I see are not agendas. No point in clearing tags now the Data Raven is primed, so I find a Plascrete and hope for the best. He then scores a Cleaners. Oh well. I find my other Plascrete to ‘double-bag’ as it were, and try set up more of my rig. I try a Legwork, unfortunately hitting a Taurus. There goes 1 plascrete! Soon after he finds the double Scorched and with the help of the Cleaners burns me to the ground.

Next up is another Noise deck. It’s a bit of a strange one I think, as he plays a Doppelganger(!). It does prove very useful against my Enhanced Login Protocol, essentially negating it. He gets the good old Mimic/Corroder combo out and starts running. He hits an Ichi, sending his Mimic to the bin, allowing me to score out some agendas behind a guard. I get a Gila Hands scored, followed by an Eden Fragment. He sets up a good ol’ Eater-Keyhole combo, with a Hades Fragment for good measure. I manage another 2 points, and have a Gila in hand for the win. I install it behind a Guard and Chimera, with an Ash in there for good measure, there’s no way in hell he’ll get in with only Eater and Corroder out to break ICE. His first (2) clicks? Singularity. This dumps the Gila into Archives, and with 6 points in there and no Jackson, Brian (with 2 points scored already) runs it for the win.

End of Round 3 (2-4)

Round 4 - Jonny H - EtF and Andy

ImageImage

Corp first, I install ICE, he has the usual Andy first turn (Datasucker, Desperado, Sure Gamble, Sec Testing) (I think ;) ). I ICE up some more, he runs R&D, and a Chum puts enough fear into him to jack out. I sneakily install an unprotected Gila and manage to score it. He finds his Code Gate breaker and gets into R&D, but I don’t think (*poor memory) he steals anything. Thinking he has limited sentry breakers (he already ditched a Faerie on an Ichi) I score an ABT behind a Guard and pop it, seeing an 2 ICE and another ABT. I throw it into archives, not knowing about the agenda-in-ABT protection The Foundry gives you. You learn something new every day! The rest of the game continues with me managing to Biotic out the last 2 2-pointers for the win.

Kate’s up, and Jonny mulligans, and unfortunately for him I think his second hand isn’t the best either. He ICEs up, and I run R&D, the ICE goes un-rezzed, and I score some points. The next turn first click I hit R&D again, and I score another agenda. next click I try again and he decides I’ve gone too far and rezzes Heimdall 1.0. I decide to eat the brain damage and run ahead but come up fruitless. I get a Corroder out and hammer R&D with Maker's Eye, eventually finding the points I need before the game really gets going.

End of Round 4 (4-4)

Round 5 - James - RP and Andy

ImageImage

I’m Foundry first. James plays strong initially, with good early econ (as is Andy’s wont), even managing 3 Sure Gambles first turn!! He steals some early agendas from HQ or R&D (or both! Memory is hazy on details here). I score an ABT, and manage to get 3 ICE, unfortunately one is a Chimera, but I throw it on a remote anyway. I try another agenda behind 2 ICE, but Inside Job makes rezzing them pointless. The rest of the game I'm kept very poor through multiple Account Siphons, and James quickly mops things up.

Running next, and I feel bad for James in this game. After a mulligan, it seems he didn’t see much ICE initially, and R&D is wide open first turn. I Index first click, seeing a Nisei, NAPD, Future Perfect, Celebrity Gift and an ICE. I obviously go for the definite points, so I run 2 twice again, stealing the Nisei and NAPD, and I put the Future Perfect at the bottom, thinking I’ll maybe get in again where I'm in a better position to win the Psi game. He plays an Enhanced Login Protocol, making life difficult, but I luckily draw Net Celebrity the following turn (I’m seriously glad I had this card in my deck, it got rid of quite a few ELPs throughout the day). A few more turns pass, he Celebrity Gifts and starts to set up, installing an unprotected Mental Health Clinic, and a Sundew behind a piece of ICE. I run HQ, bouncing off an Eli. I then hit the Sundew remote, he rezzes a Tsurugi. I SMC for a Faerie and trash the most annoying econ card in the game. The game continues, eventually he installs and advances twice in the same remote, I Test Run my Faerie, bounce off Eli again, then run the remote, getting in and stealing The Future Perfect for the win.

End of Round 5 (5-5)

All in all I had a great time, thanks to my opponents for some wonderful games! And massive thanks to Steve, Neil and Wayland's Forge for an excellently ran tournament!
evilgaz

Re: 07/03/2015 Birmingham Store Championships (16/29).

Postby evilgaz » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Good write up! Thanks for the games too. If you're still interested in Pre Paid Kate, Timo and Dylan from the Nottingham Massive run a mean one (not sure if they're the same, but they are similar) - I'll see if I can link you up.
sxk634

Re: 07/03/2015 Birmingham Store Championships (16/29).

Postby sxk634 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you had a good time at the tournament.

Return to “Tournament Reports”