21st March - Oxford SC - 1st place - Third Time Lucky

Vapo

21st March - Oxford SC - 1st place - Third Time Lucky

Postby Vapo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:08 am

Sets legal: Up to Order & Chaos

Decklists: Corp: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/17750/architect-is-for-girls-ichi-neh-oxford-store-champ-winne

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center (Upstalk)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (10)
3x Daily Business Show (All That Remains)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
1x Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus)
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)

Upgrade (3)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (10)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set) ••••• •••
1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (3)
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (9)
1x Enigma (Core Set)
3x Lotus Field (Upstalk) •••
3x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
2x Quandary (Double Time)

Sentry (3)
3x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) ••••• •
17 influence spent (max 17)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

Runner: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/17748/angel-of-the-inca-cross-oxford-store-champ-winner

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (16)
3x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x I've Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
1x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit) ••
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (2)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••

Resource (13)
2x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Data Folding (Order and Chaos)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Virus Breeding Ground (Order and Chaos)

Icebreaker (1)
1x Darwin (Future Proof)

Program (18)
3x Chakana (Creation and Control) ••••• •
2x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
1x Hivemind (Order and Chaos)
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Incubator (The Source)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
1x Parasite (Core Set)
3x Progenitor (Order and Chaos)
1x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) •••
15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Getting to Oxford for the SC involved a somewhat ridiculously early start, but it was the last SC I could make and having come 2nd at two others already there was no way I was gonna miss out on one last chance for a bye! It was also a good chance to catch up with my old practice partner Tim, Sam & Ben who have made a lot of the same SCs as me and of course the Oxford crew who I'd met at previous events around the country, and great company they all were too.

The swiss is all a bit of a blur but NEH was the big winner, I went 4-1 with it and was only 2-3 with Valencia at this stage having had to contend with some pretty shocking hands and also losing at least one psi-game for the win in my one RP matchup against Oli, who returns later. Psi-games should be easier when you have a bad pub, but I just can't win them with Valencia. Ichi proved it's strength by taking out multiple breakers including a Torch, and at one point a 4th click run lost someone their Corroder, Zu and even Kati Jones after I made the tag stick.

Ending swiss on 6-4 alongside Joey, the other Valencia representative who I'd just had a runner split with (Go Val!) and Sam (Apeasylum) along with several others. I make it thrugh in 6th and Joey is through too but Sam has another tough break and ends up 9th.

First round of the cut and I'm running, which is great because a lot of people have stuck around to watch these games and I'd rather show her off! I manage to get set up smoothly and surprise people with the speed at which it happens, quickly enough to lock out NEH (actually, may have been HBFA?) and take the win.

Round two and I finally face someone I've met a few times before in the face of Seb (Pruneface). We first met at my very first Netrunner tournament, the 2013 Nationals, and faced each other at the expo again last year as well as during the Cardiff regional. I have a decent record against Seb having knocked him out of Cardiff and the expo super-regional with pretty similar NBN decks to what I've got now so I'm happy about the game and very glad to be Corping as he's packing a 6 agenda Blue Sun murder deck which I just don't know if I can beat. Seb struggles to find his breakers here and gives me too much space to come back from.

Onto round three and I'm back facing Oli who I had a corp split with in Swiss. The winner will be going into the winner's bracket of the final and my heart sinks when I remember his corp deck is RP. As we've both played 1 game of each side we roll off and he wins. He takes much longer to decide on a deck than I expected, and finally reaches for his Leela! I can't quite believe it, but he explains that the RP game would inevitably come down to little more than a bunch of psi games and he didn't want to play that game. He puts up a good fight but yet again Ichi on R&D proves far too taxing

I'm back against Seb for the final, and this time I'm running. It's obvious that my only way to win this one is to always be ahead on money, so i pitch a hand with no long term econ and am rewarded with a Data Folding on the mulligan. I drop an early Virus Breeding Ground and an Incubator because I'll definitely need one or the other at some point and they'll force a purge or two. Kati shows up early enough that I'm soon able to out-muscle Seb economically. He scores one agenda in the meantime which I have to leave under threat of death. D4v1d proves its strength by removing his first OAI'd curtain wall. I forget that Janus has 4 subs and have to abort my first attempt to repeat the process, but rather than take it back for money he keeps it out and tries to fake out something behind it. I forget if this was the shattered remains or the agenda but I hit both at different points. I have no hardware out so the SR doesn't fire. Despite having a Djinn and an Incubator out I'm holding fire on the usual Nerve agent into HQ run because I haven't seen enough influence to know if he's running Snares, but eventually I decide they don't really work with the research stations so I go for it and Seb instantly shakes my hand - the Government Takeover and at least one other were in there and I was accessing all 9 cards. Seb points out after the game that he made a big misplay in scoring the cleaners over High-Risk Investment and it's a good point - I have no idea how to play around death when the corp can guarantee they can outecon you on the punitive turn.

Thanks to everyone there, it was a really fun day out and the standard of all the games was incredibly high. It was great to see Joey make the top 8 as the only other Valencia representative, and also for Casey to do well when he'd had to borrow half of his deck. I'm glad I happened to be carrying a set of merlins!
Last edited by Vapo on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xenasis

Re: 21st March - Oxford SC - 1st place - Third Time Lucky

Postby Xenasis » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:49 am

Glad you finally got your win, you deserve one!

Also glad you liked Data Folding, that card is fantastic, just not many decks support it.

Agree completely about Ichi, though I'm not sure I'd splash it in NEH, but I'm going to be sure to give it a try. I've always loved Ichi, and now is really its time. I played it in RP for a while (before Stealth Andy got big). I don't think there's a HB deck where I wouldn't have Ichi/Sherlock right now though.

Was only a matter of time before that Valencia deck won, it's super strong.
Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Good job finally getting there Neil! I like the Ichi splash a lot and agree with you about it being one of the best pieces of Ice in the game. There aren't words to express how much I hate 3 Lotus Field in NEH, but that's an argument for another time and it seemed to work out for you.
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Vinegarymink wrote:Good job finally getting there Neil! I like the Ichi splash a lot and agree with you about it being one of the best pieces of Ice in the game. There aren't words to express how much I hate 3 Lotus Field in NEH, but that's an argument for another time and it seemed to work out for you.

Lotus Field didn't have a huge amount of thought behind it, but it was working well in HB so I thought i'd try it. It did fine but Ichi was definitely the star of the show. I'd have tried other things if I'd had more time to test it!

Return to “Tournament Reports”