20.06.2015 Bristol BABW 1/24? Colours other than Yellow.

mendax

20.06.2015 Bristol BABW 1/24? Colours other than Yellow.

Postby mendax » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:23 am

Sets legal: Up to and including Chrome City

Going into this tournament, my goal was to top 4. I knew that that was entirely possible, and once in the cut anything was possible, but I felt a little inexperienced in my corp deck (a feeling which changed over the course of the day). This is the first time I've written a report, so any comments are more than welcome.

Runner Deck:

Hail to the Queen

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity's Shadow)

Event (17)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (10)
3x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (8)
1x Cerberus "Rex" H2 (All That Remains)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (5)
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••
2x Parasite (Core Set) ••••
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

This is just Andysucker turned up to 11. There's nothing much interesting to say – it's more parasite heavy than most but that's the only vaguely interesting feature, and it's a very old, tested archtype. With only 1 card (Rex) released after H&P, it's clearly not the most inspired of deck choices, but I'm really comfortable with it right now.

Corp Deck:

Bootcamp Glacier

Blue Sun: Powering the Future (Up and Over)

Agenda (10)
1x Chronos Project (First Contact)
2x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Oaktown Renovation (Chrome City)
1x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (7)
1x Adonis Campaign (Core Set) ••
2x Executive Boot Camp (All That Remains)
1x IT Department (The Source)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (4)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••••
2x Crisium Grid (First Contact)

Operation (9)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Interns (Mala Tempora)
3x Oversight AI (A Study in Static)
1x Snatch and Grab (All That Remains)

Barrier (8)
3x Curtain Wall (True Colors)
3x Hive (Double Time)
2x Meru Mati (Breaker Bay)

Code Gate (7)
3x Datapike (Creation and Control)
1x Lotus Field (Upstalk)
2x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••••
1x Wormhole (Order and Chaos)

Sentry (4)
3x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead)
1x Taurus (Upstalk)
15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

Very similar to the deck that aandries won a US regional with, I netdecked that about a week before the event an played probably around 10 games with it online, changing an NAPD to an Oaktown. Having played Astrobiotics for a long time, and NBN in general since Future Proof was released, it was a little daunting for me to change so radically, but I knew that Astrobiotics was just too risky to play now due to clot. ITD only really got going in one game, but in that game it opened a large enough window for me to get to 6 – 0 pretty much unopposed.

Round 1 vs James Nowecki

James was running NEH and Quetzal, which was slightly worrying to me as Quetzal + e3 makes OAI a lot more risky, and I don't have clot. On top of this, we've played before and I've dropped games to him, so it wasn't the pairing I really wanted round 1.

Runner game:

An early access showed me a Biotic, which meant that he wasn't running butchershop and probably wasn't running grail. Knowing early that it was an astrobiotics deck allowed me to be much more aggressive, and there's nothing my Andy deck likes more than being aggressive. A few bad draws for him allowed me to steal a couple of astro's early, the second from a well-timed legwork,and with the train completely derailed it was a matter of time before R&D gave up the winning points.

Corp game:

I got my adonis bouncing going which gave me all the money I needed, and this was important because quetzal & David were stopping my oversight shenanigans. His early facechecking earned him a lot of lost credits from Tollbooth and Datapike, and I think that I may have gained from a Cad a couple of times as well. I removed his first david from the game with a chronos, which helped a lot, and his e3 only appeared late in the game also. Eater + cutlery were applying pressure, but once I found a crisium to put on R&D I felt fairly secure, and removing his Kati with a Snatch & Grab really won this game for me. Eventually, a server involving ash and tollbooth was enough to grind it out. I wasn't too comfortable through the game, mostly because of Quetzal's ability being constantly scary, but certainly wasn't really panicking at any point either.

2 – 0, 4 prestige

Round 2 vs Mark Withers

Mark was playing ETF glacier and Nasir, which was the first time I'd faced Nasir out of Blue Sun (not as bad as I'd feared, Ash is more than enough to make up for the ID being awkward).

Runner game:

Whilst I usually have a good matchup against ETF, Mark's deck was much more of a glacier than most, and the inclusion of ELP really hurts me given that I rely on sec testing for econ. On top of this, Andy didn't show me a desperado, or parasite, or enough breakers or econ – I drew pretty much all my run events without being able to do much with them. A few lucky accesses made it seem more of a game that it was, but really Mark was standing well for most of the game and closed it out well.

Corp game:

I hadn't ever played against Nasir with this deck, and this inexperience meant that I wasn't able to take advantage as much as I should have done – I didn't think until about half-way through that pre-rezzing ice with EBC was really something to be doing in this matchip. Having said that, Nasir's ability always keeping him poor meant that tollbooth was a big pain, and I got an ITD up to 6 or 7 behind it. Whilst Mark was trying to take the ITD out, I managed to roll through an Oaktown and 2 NAPDS, meaning that all I needed was to sneak an atlas through for the win. Mark did eventually kill ITD with an atman at 5 and a datasucker going, but it really cost him too much and I was able to stay in control to sneak through an Atlas to take the game.

3 – 1, 6 Prestige.

Round 3 vs Andy Parsons

At this point of the tournament, Andy was the sole leader on 7, with a lot of us on 6. I was glad to get the upfloat partly because it meant that catching Andy was now in my control, and also because I have a very good record against him both in tournaments and friendly games. He was playing Noise and ETF, a departure from his normal Gabe.

Corp game:

His first 4 mills were 3 agendas and my ITD. The only ice I could find for archives was a wormhole, which did nothing until he ran somewhere else. I have no more to say about this game.

Runner game:

We were both struggling for econ – he drew a lot of ice which drained his resources, but at the same time the combination of that and his ELP really hurt my run econ. However, the agendas appeared before he really stabilised, and that cleared out the ELPs and allowed me some measure of board control. Repeatedly running through architect whilst he had no assets in archives sped the game up, and I suspect that it was him finding his ice quickly from this that really defined the dynamics of the game.

4 – 2, 8 prestige

Round 4 vs Marcus

Marcus was playing Blue Sun and Reina, and having seen earlier in the day that he was playing the 6 agenda deck I was really worried about going to time in this round.

Corp game:

Bootcamping for adonis early meant that I had enough money to not get headlocked, but his siphoning and crescentus play meant that I didn't have enough money to actually get on with it. Wormhole and tollbooth on the scoring remote meant that he could never get in with yog, but it was a long time and a slow grind of a game because I needed to take money by clicking for credits, and so couldn't draw up to find the agendas. Whilst in some sense it was very smooth, it was also not at all easy.

Runner game:

The first game went long, about 40 minutes, and whilst 25 minutes is usually enough time for an Andysucker game, I was worried about time because of how slow decks like his can be. As it was, I managed to get my econ up very quickly, keeping ahead of him all game, and once a curtain wall got hit by shutdown I was pretty certain I was going to win, subject only to time limits. He was also feeling time pressure, and pushed for a 5/3 where there wasn't really a window, and with a couple of minutes to spare I managed to pull the takeover to seal it. I think fatigue was setting in for him in this game, as he said that it was his first tournament and both games were fairly draining.

6 – 2, 12 Prestige

Round 5 vs Mark Mottram

I was feeling fairly confident going into this round, as I'd worked out that a split would almost certainly get me into the cut. Mark was playing Making News and Kate, which meant Scorch and ppvp realistically.

Runner game:

He was agenda flooded, and this allowed me to get up to 5 pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I was missing some econ, and so getting to 5 left me with some obscene number of tags from an MSR. Liberal siphoning bought me a couple more turns, but in the end it came down to me have 3 shots at a 2/5 to win, otherwise he won. I found one of the agendas on run 2. In hindsight, I should probably have been more careful earlier to to make sure that I avoided the MSR.

Corp game:

It was my turn to be agenda flooded, and I went down pretty quickly. I don't think much of note really happened this game.

7 – 3, 14 prestige

After the swiss, the cut was:

1 Dave H – Blue Sun & Leela
2 Tim F – NEH & Kate
3 Me – Blue Sun & Andy
4 Mark M – Making News & Kate

I believe that Dave and I were the only 2 crims, with Tim and Mark being the only 2 Kates, but I could be wrong on that.

I've played Tim a lot of times, at least in casual games, and I wasn't very confident in my matchups against him. As it happpened, he chose to corp, and so it was Andysucker vs NEH grail.

Cut game 1:

I believe that this was the game where I saw 2 NAPDs in archives early (I chose to steal one of them), and then very soon after had a choice between trashing Crisium or stealing NAPD from HQ (I chose Crisium). Grail really lives and dies on how quickly the runner can get a breaker suite up, and so the fact that I found 3 faeries, 2 clone chips, Rex, corroder and a sucker early meant that I was able to aplly a lot of pressure early, and as soon as I ran out of faeries I had shutdown to close of the 2 lancelots that were on the table. I can't remember how it ended, but that's certainly the best setup I've had vs Tim in that matchup (though most of our games are close).

Meanwhile, Dave beat Mark, which is perhaps unsurprising since Dave helped Mark build his decks. So, that left me playing Dave for the guaranteed qualification place, and since Dave also ran in the first game of the cut it was a random choice, and I ended up running again.

Cut game 2:

I thought that Dave was playing Bootcamp Glacier too, and an early access of an NAPD all but confirmed this, but I played around tags for a long time anyway, discarding John M for example, just in case. The early game was all mine – Dave lacked the money to rez big enough ice to keep me out on all the centrals, as he needed to build up the money and then spend a turn to purge my suckers to stop me just insta-parasiting my way back in, which allowed me enough accesses to grab enough agendas to put me on match point. As I spent a large part of the early game on 1 or 2 credits, I could facecheck Datapike and Tollbooth without losing any reall tempo from doing so. Parasiting hitting Hive and Datapike helped, as it meant that the suckers were ticking over and 5 suckers was a dangerous number for his Tollbooth. It certainly wasn't smooth sailing though – a setup of HQ Curtain Wall & Crisium, R&D Tollbooth, Archives Wormhole was enough to lock me out of the centrals after a purge, meaning that I had no sec testing targets and no way to generate sucker tokens, and it was precisely this sort of setup that made me concerned about the matchup going into the game. Drawing up found me an inside job and SoT, with a shutdown already in the heap, so some quick maths meant that if I got to 18 credits I could IJ into HQ, trash Crisium, run HQ, SoT shutdown Curtain Wall. The pressure I'd applied early game on the centrals had meant that Dave had been unable to build a scoring remote for quite a while, and Jackson had been used liberally meaning that there were a lot of agendas in HQ and R&D. So, having generated a very small window for accesses, I went to it, and managed to pick up the winning agenda shortly afterwards.

After the game I found out that the asset sat in a protected remote was ITD, so if I hadn't managed to get the last agenda in the next turn or so I probably would have been completely locked out – though it's still entirely possible that I could have got through on time that's certainly not the ideal way to progress.

This guaranteed me the qualification place to the final in London, and also gave me a bit of a break, which I happily spent eating some Sainsbury's muffins and watching Tim get slowly ground down by Dave's Blue Sun deck. This meant that I was playing Dave again in the final, and as I'd run in both of my other cut games I was going to be playing as corp in this game. I was much more confident in this matchup than I was playing as runner, and knowing that I effectively had 2 chances went a long way towards relaxing me.

Cut Final:

A round of facechecking from Dave earnt him a lot of lost money from Tollbooths and Datapikes, but two Emergency Shutdowns on my tollbooths hurt. I topdecked an Oaktown, and despite knowing that I didn't have enough money to protect it dropped it into my server with ash (and an unrezzable piece of ice) and double advanced it, gaining me some money and forcing Dave to go in and beat Ash's trace 4 to steal. Bouncing Ash back protected it for a while, and seeing a Hedge fun quickly followed by an OAI Curtain Wall set my econ back on track, and gave me enough to bootcamp for an adonis as I could now protect it enough to make it extremely taxing to trash. Dave was getting accesses, but since I was able to rez the R&D tollbooth and drop and ash into R&D it was very difficult for Dave to run repeatedly, though with RDI he didn't need to run that often to still be really pressuring, and Crisium on HQ behind Meru Mati was also doing good work. The agendas slowly trickled through, for both of us, with the score reaching 5 – 6 in Dave's favour, and Leela's ability meant that I often had to discard cards that I'd have preferred to keep. This was especially true since the 3rd agenda Dave scored delayed my Pri Req score for a turn, as he bounced the double advanced card. Fortunately, all my important ice was already rezzed, so the ability wasn't too dangerous late game. An endless Adonis and 3 or 4 successful OAI curtain walls meant that I had 50+ credits by the end, and topdecking an interns to replace the ash on R&D as soon as it got trashed probably sealed the game. I'd been bouncing adonis back to hand every turn in order to clear the server in case an agenda showed up, and eventually an Atlas did – perfect because on match point I didn't need the token, and the install looked like I was just re-installing Adonis as I had done for quite a few turns previously. Dave moneyed up preparing for another poke at R&D, and I scored out for the win.

As an aside, I am definitely counting this as a 2-0 over Dave in a tournament.

I was incredibly happy with this result, and it's the first time in quite a while that I've won a tournament bigger than a GNK event, so it was a big deal for me. On top of this, by the time of the final I was feeling comfortable with my corp, completely, and since clot I haven't been able to say that (having been a long-time Astrobiotics player), so there's a lot I can take from this moving forwards as well.

My thanks go to Andy Parsons, for organising the event and providing snacks, to Masterair for organising BABW, and to all my opponents for being generally nice people. I look forward to seeing you all at another event soon.
Vinegarymink

Re: 20.06.2015 Bristol BABW 1/24? Colours other than Yellow.

Postby Vinegarymink » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Nice report and congrats on the win! I tried Boot Camp Glacier and it seems like a really interesting, challenging deck to play. I'm going to keep playing with it I think, since it seems like one of the most skill testing Corp decks around at the moment.

Who eats muffins during their break though. I got no respect for that
mendax

Postby mendax » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Not gonna lie, I included the muffin line with you in mind.
Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 am

What kind of muffins were they
mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:17 am

Double choc chip.
Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:31 am

Jesus Christ

Next time I make a cut I'm going to snack on lard and golden syrup.
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:13 am

Vinegarymink wrote:Jesus Christ

You heard it first on netrunners.co.uk, folks!

Pleasingly crunchy writeup, enjoyed the detail that you put into the various matches. Andysucker comeback? This is why you should run CVS, people! I agree on bootcamp, tried it about 5 times and couldn't grok it, think I better go back and give it another shot.
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:28 pm

pruneface wrote:
Vinegarymink wrote:Jesus Christ

You heard it first on netrunners.co.uk, folks!

Pleasingly crunchy writeup, enjoyed the detail that you put into the various matches. Andysucker comeback? This is why you should run CVS, people! I agree on bootcamp, tried it about 5 times and couldn't grok it, think I better go back and give it another shot.

Rob is a notorious muffin muncher at tournaments.

Even with cvs his rig becomes so efficient that it's hard to set him back once set up. In which case he then syphons you :(
MOON MONEY!
mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:51 pm

I only ran into CVS in a couple of games, it's not that great because it doesn't trigger if you security test it, so once it's sat in archives you can still get all the testing money and tokens and John cards that could possibly want.

More generally, I think that if you want to play a run-economy Andysucker you need heavy parasite support, because otherwise it's too easy to get locked out.

Return to “Tournament Reports”