OCTGN Lulz

Moderator: king_mob

Rodrogiar

Re: OCTGN Lulz

Postby Rodrogiar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Hey, I wanted to start getting into netrunner on OCTGN.
but I would need someone to run me through the ropes. Its all installed but I dont know how to use it yet.
Is anyone willing to help at any time?
"A common mistake the people make when trying to make a deck completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:28 am

Rodrogiar wrote:Hey, I wanted to start getting into netrunner on OCTGN.
but I would need someone to run me through the ropes. Its all installed but I dont know how to use it yet.
Is anyone willing to help at any time?

Id be happy to go through a few games with you and show you the ropes. There are two links to tutorials as well in the octgn league season 1 thread, check both of these out.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
Rodrogiar

Postby Rodrogiar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:07 am

king_mob wrote:Id be happy to go through a few games with you and show you the ropes. There are two links to tutorials as well in the octgn league season 1 thread, check both of these out.

I've read through these now and I think I understand, but when would you be free to run me through a game?
"A common mistake the people make when trying to make a deck completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Rodrogiar wrote:
king_mob wrote:Id be happy to go through a few games with you and show you the ropes. There are two links to tutorials as well in the octgn league season 1 thread, check both of these out.

I've read through these now and I think I understand, but when would you be free to run me through a game?

Im not about today or tonight, but i am available tomorrow afternoon if thats any use?
Rodrogiar

Postby Rodrogiar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Sounds perfect, Thanks for the offer.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Its not too bad to learn actually. I'm a relative n00b, but once you get through a few games most stuff becomes easy - its just edge cases like Grail ICE or operating Foundry / Accelerated Beta Test that then confuse you.

The keyboard shortcuts and stuff are okay on the reference sheets floating around, but it does help to have some you can straight up ask "How do I access that?" or "How do you remove a tag?" for the first couple of games.

The Mobulator should do you a good job of guidance while the training wheels are on.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Playing mmtheblm's Blue Sun - Siphoned him and what not, then later on slap down the R&D Interface and go get a Priority Req! Yay! And another one! Boo!

Slap down another R&DI and hope to get the winning agenda, but see Sea Source instead. Sad face.

OCTGN is all like NOPE! when mmtheblm tries to Punative and does me no damage. So he Sea Source / Scorched instead.

Is it me or is it hot in here?
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:48 pm

evilgaz wrote:Playing mmtheblm's Blue Sun - Siphoned him and what not, then later on slap down the R&D Interface and go get a Priority Req! Yay! And another one! Boo!

Slap down another R&DI and hope to get the winning agenda, but see Sea Source instead. Sad face.

OCTGN is all like NOPE! when mmtheblm tries to Punative and does me no damage. So he Sea Source / Scorched instead.

Is it me or is it hot in here?

I would like to assure everyone that we at the Weyland Consortium have no intentions to, nor have we ever put the citizens near the beanstalk in any risk of harm. These are all simply slanderous news stories to take focus away from our green energy plans, reycling schemes and Save-A-Puppy foundation.

:lol:

Everyone loves explosions
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:12 pm

MartinP wrote:
I would like to assure everyone that we at the Weyland Consortium have no intentions to, nor have we ever put the citizens near the beanstalk in any risk of harm. These are all simply slanderous news stories to take focus away from our green energy plans, reycling schemes and Save-A-Puppy foundation.

:lol:

Everyone loves explosions

Best flavour text iv read in a long while.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Some genius trying to tell me that Cyberdex Virus Suite is the first broken card in Netrunner.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Blimey thats a bit severe. Broken? Cant see it myself, I mean, andy I like to joke is broken but there isnt a single card in the game that I think is genuinely bust. When IT dept came out people were saying it was going to break the game, here we are and....nope, everything still looks pretty legit.
mendax

Postby mendax » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:17 pm

king_mob wrote:Blimey thats a bit severe. Broken? Cant see it myself, I mean, andy I like to joke is broken but there isnt a single card in the game that I think is genuinely bust. When IT dept came out people were saying it was going to break the game, here we are and....nope, everything still looks pretty legit.

Tbf, IT Dept would break the game if it wasn't for time limits in tournament games.

I tend to think that TFP is busted, but then I just hate te psi game mechanic so I would.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:29 pm

mendax wrote:
king_mob wrote:Blimey thats a bit severe. Broken? Cant see it myself, I mean, andy I like to joke is broken but there isnt a single card in the game that I think is genuinely bust. When IT dept came out people were saying it was going to break the game, here we are and....nope, everything still looks pretty legit.

Tbf, IT Dept would break the game if it wasn't for time limits in tournament games.

I tend to think that TFP is busted, but then I just hate te psi game mechanic so I would.

I once had to boost switchblade to +28 strength to get past a It dept boosted Guard to trash the ITdept itself. that was a good day
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 am

mendax wrote:

If someone lets their opponents board state advance to the point they can lock the game out via ITD, they have lost for that reason, not because their opponent had ITD in their deck.
Xenasis

Postby Xenasis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:20 am

king_mob wrote:
If someone lets their opponents board state advance to the point they can lock the game out via ITD, they have lost for that reason, not because their opponent had ITD in their deck.

A lock takes maybe one to three turns (like an oversized scoring window), after that point the runner can't win if the Corp is competent. The problem is that, unless the runner concedes, the game will still go on for at least 15m afterwards, up to a good hour or so. It shouldn't be allowed because of the abhorrent way it wins in my opinion. It's one of the only examples in Netrunner where a game that's truly unwinnable doesn't end within the next few minutes.
Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:36 am

D4v1d can also make it look like a joke and if the dept itself is not too well protected Femme Fatale and Inside Job can get it done. It can just lock the game out but if the runner doesn't underestimate its power it's pretty tough to lose to in my experience
mendax

Postby mendax » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Xenasis pretty much nails is here.

ITD is a very powerful card - it's for HB glacier what SanSan is to NEH FA, this is the sort of power level we're talking about it. So whilst it's not OP, it's certainly something that, in the absence of time limits, you would want to put in your deck if you were playing that archtype. However, the big problem with it is the way it wins - there was a game from the final of Stimhack League II where ITD set up a lock and it was around 45 minutes before the game actually finished. Neither of that deck's victories were under an hour long. This just creates NGEs.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:42 pm

mendax wrote:Xenasis pretty much nails is here.

ITD is a very powerful card - it's for HB glacier what SanSan is to NEH FA, this is the sort of power level we're talking about it. So whilst it's not OP, it's certainly something that, in the absence of time limits, you would want to put in your deck if you were playing that archtype. However, the big problem with it is the way it wins - there was a game from the final of Stimhack League II where ITD set up a lock and it was around 45 minutes before the game actually finished. Neither of that deck's victories were under an hour long. This just creates NGEs.

I'm still not sure that calling it broken takes into account all the other variables of a game which led to it breaking said game. Although, if im honest i can completely agree that "abhorrant" is the word i would use for the tactic of aggressively pushing a lock with ITD. I think that it can be played around still, thats been my experience anyway on both sides, but i can understand the opinion that using ITD as a win condition can be a frustrating experience.
mendax

Postby mendax » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:30 pm

It doesn't break the game because it's OP, it breaks the game because it generates NGEs.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 pm

mendax wrote:It doesn't break the game because it's OP, it breaks the game because it generates NGEs.

Can you explain that in a bit more depth?

Edit: by depth I mean, examples
mendax

Postby mendax » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 pm

Once ITD is set up, it's a hard lock - there is literally nothing you can do. However, the corp still has to build another remote to score in, probably 3 deep in most cases, and then slowly score out. This regularly takes 30+ minutes. That is 30+ minutes where you have nothing better to do than sit in your chair wondering why the hell you ever chose to play this game, it is a perfect example of an Negative Game Experience (NGE).
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:32 pm

I'll be online tonight as of 10 mins ago. Game setup ready for any opponent.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Played someone who tried to fast advance something while I had Clot out.

Pointed out they couldn't do it.

They highlight Haas Arcology AI.

I reiterate the card text.

Opponent ragequits.

Sad face.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 am

evilgaz wrote:Played someone who tried to fast advance something while I had Clot out.

Pointed out they couldn't do it.

They highlight Haas Arcology AI.

I reiterate the card text.

Opponent ragequits.

Sad face.

Genuinely getting a bit fucked off with the amount of prima donnas on octgn. Its a shame because its sometimes the best way to get practice in, but iv had people start rage quitting tons recently. I think probably ill be sticking to playing the NRUK crew from now on, randoms can do one.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:12 pm

I'll be online all evening for some OCTGN fun. Promise not to Prima Donna quit :lol:

Unless Mobster is playing his usuall bullsh** :P

Return to “Online Play”