Octgn League General Discussion

Moderator: king_mob

MouseChan

Re: Octgn League Season 1

Postby MouseChan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Ah sorry, erm Ill quickly Explain how Elo works.

The elo system uses a system where hypothetical rankings determine player strength, a player with a higher ranking should beat a player with a lower one. Elo changes after each game depending if you won or lost, however it's not just a static "you win therefore take 5 points from your opponent", because a stronger player should beat a weaker player the rewards are weighted depending how unevenly matched they are by standings.

A player defeating an opponent with a much lower Elo than him will gain few rating points, where as a player who claims victory vs a higher Elo opponent will get many. Even matched players will get the average. The max number of points that you can lose/gain is set by a K value (usually 32, but can be as high as 64 or low as 16 depending on the level of event.)

Since netrunner is an a-symetrical game Elo doesn't really work as "matches" can have no clear winner or loser, it works fine how it is now, just a bit weird if you report a loss first then a win second, the win will calculate the rating swing already applying the lost games rating change, seeing you as defeating someone with (~15) more Elo than when you started.

Does any of this make sense to you? :)
Social Media guru for Netrunners.co.uk

Legenadry girl hacker with awesome hair

2x Bradford SC 1x Leeds SC winner
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Cool, yes it does, thanks for taking the time to explain that :)

The challengeboard site does allow for games to be reported by the winner as either a win or a tie, thinking about it now you've explained that lot it should really be 1 match reported by the winner as either outright win or tie. Sorry guys my bad :(

I think we will keep with reporting both games for the time being, to be fair on those who have already played. Lessons learned for next season i guess.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
massisi

Postby massisi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm up for playing some games, my username on octgn is massisi, best way to contact me is probably on here if you want to play :)
Sometimes you just need a brain in a jar
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Joined up. OCTGN username is the same as here but it was taken on Challengeboards so I'm Rusty over there after my FB name.
Sincil Banks

Postby Sincil Banks » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm up for a game now if anyone wants a couple of quick wins! :)
massisi

Postby massisi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Can't do this evening sorry, does anyone want to organise some games for later in the week?
Sometimes you just need a brain in a jar
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:53 pm

Just had a split against Onesama - the crowd goes wild.

Should be about for a game tomorrow evening around 9ish
MouseChan

Postby MouseChan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 pm

evilgaz wrote:Just had a split against Onesama - the crowd goes wild.

Should be about for a game tomorrow evening around 9ish

The crowd goes wild is my saying. Next time Ill play NeH ;)
Social Media guru for Netrunners.co.uk

Legenadry girl hacker with awesome hair

2x Bradford SC 1x Leeds SC winner
mendax

Postby mendax » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:55 am

The difference of 2 points or w/e it is becomes irrelevant quickly, because if your rating is slightly lower you gain slightly more/lose slightly less in future games, so there's convergence.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 am

mendax wrote:The difference of 2 points or w/e it is becomes irrelevant quickly, because if your rating is slightly lower you gain slightly more/lose slightly less in future games, so there's convergence.

Thanks for the input mendax, so which do you think is the better way for keeping track of the matches, record each game separately as a win, or collectively as a win or tie from the POV of the winner.

That is, if person A wins both games they report it as a win, if person B wins both games they instead report it as a win, if its a split either of them record it as a tie.
mendax

Postby mendax » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:28 am

Record the games seperately - it's cleaner for the sake of reporting and the order cancels it out relatively quickly.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Ill be online tonight for league play if anyone's interested
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Can we get a sticky post or something with everyone's usernames and / or other details? Maybe easier then to identify people and get some more games happening for people who don't know each other.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:48 pm

evilgaz wrote:Can we get a sticky post or something with everyone's usernames and / or other details? Maybe easier then to identify people and get some more games happening for people who don't know each other.

Sure i'll collect everything from this thread and make a sticky for season 1. I'd held back previously so we didnt have 3-4 different threads for the same thing, but your right its about time to have it all in one place.

Edit: Done and done. A few things to note - if i have put anyone in the list of league members with incorrect details, please PM me and ill get them updated. Although the sticky thread can of course be used, try and keep back and forth discussions about sorting out matches to PM's if possible. Match reports should you want to provide them can go where ever you like, but the obvious choice would be the sticky thread so everyone can get to them easily.

Finally although it lists cards legal up to O&C, the valley is about to hit so you can expect this to change very soon. I am happy to go with the group on when this should be the case, so pipe up when you want that to happen.
mendax

Re: Octgn League General Discussion

Postby mendax » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:40 pm

The Valley should become legal as soon as it is programmed into OCTGN.
king_mob

Re: Octgn League General Discussion

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm

mendax wrote:The Valley should become legal as soon as it is programmed into OCTGN.

This is what we are going with basically, see my comments in the season 1 sticky.

Return to “Online Play”