NRUK Octgn League - Season 1

Moderator: king_mob

king_mob
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NRUK Octgn League - Season 1

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 am

Hi guys, took a look this morning and there doesn't seem to be anyway of snapshot-ting off the current results and clearing the board for the next round, so for persistence of the results of each round we will just continue to submit to the same board.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
evilgaz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby evilgaz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:08 am

How will we work out who wins round 2? Have you snapshot points after round one and then well look at points difference at the end of the current round?

Or do we need to assassinate vinegarymink to give everyone else a chance? :D
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 am

king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:44 am

@evilgaz, im just going on whoever has top spot to be honest
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:06 am

king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:03 pm

All solid ideas mate and im happy for us to collectively implement things in any way that improves the experience.

I'll address how the league works in a bit more detail below. Sorry if some of this sounds patronizing, its really not meant to! My thinking is if i lay it out as simply as possible everyone can chime in and help with constructive criticism, point out where its bad organized or could be more efficiently organized, or if my reasoning is just plain wrong.

1) Each week is a round, and each round you can only play each member once. This stops people playing their mate over and over and racking up the highest score. At the minute thats the only real function of a round.
2) Each season is 4 rounds (weeks). At the end of it, the person who has done the best over the whole season is crowned president of space, or something. This does have the prerequisite of the person having done the best intra- and inter-round. That is, if someone was number 1 for 4 rounds in a row then they obviously win the season.

The thing about point 2, is that we need some persistence with the scoring. We could wipe the slate clean each round and just record the league points at the end of the round for everyone, but i have a feeling this would require actually starting a new challenge board and having people sign up again. Not ideal. The limitations of the software are basically as much of a consideration as the way we structure the league itself.

Also an annoying side effect of point 2 and i imagine league play in general is if someone plays the most games they have a better chance of winning more games, and ranking at a higher position. I don't have a good answer to this unfortunately. Its league play, not swiss, its fairly informal and you will find people who spend more time on Octgn than others and end up getting more games.

I am hoping that if people get enough out of this seasons we can introduce achievements, like playing decks with 0 inf spent (not the proff :P) and if you win you get some form of recognition, either league points or some kind of snazzy post with your name in colors. KING MOB IS AN ULTIMATE BADASS. Something like that.

I will try and arrange some better ways for people to arrange games, i dont facebook but i am happy for someone to start a page if they feel it would help reach other league members easier and get the games in.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Ah yeah, get what you mean about round and season now.

I'll have a think and look properly when at home.

I'm up for G+ community rather than Faceache but know some people Tweet or other platforms.

I'm finding lots of times people miss each other by five minutes (or more) and when the other responds its always "I'm playing someone else now", because seriously, who wants to sit there refreshing a screen waiting for takers. Life's too short.

If found playing more games to be a hindrance. I should have quit while I was ahead. ;)
shinygerbil

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 pm

Sorry Gaz, that was me being a tease on Saturday ;(
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:21 pm

Annoyingly iv had similar cases, a game against ApeAsylum where my client crashed (not just D/C), and many times pinging someone only to find they are already balls deep in a game and cant respond.

I'll look into a G+ group so we can have email alerts + other avenues for chatter.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:37 pm

We do have one already since it's linked to youtube and whatnot but I've no bloody idea how to make it useful.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102706722 ... 8543/about

Let me know if there's anything I can do!
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:07 pm

evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:18 pm

up and (net)running.

I'll keep an eye on it, people can join or not as they see fit (its public currently, but if spam goes crazy, I'll limit access).

If it turns out to be no use, I'll bin it at the end of this season! :D
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:23 am

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Online now if anyone's looking for a game
MOON MONEY!
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:14 am

So...

With this being a new round, do we want to say the Valley is good from now, or next round, or [insert alternative here].
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:26 am

Good from now. Clot on!
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 am

Tried it last night, but didn't work until I restarted. So I nearly had a league game with it, but it didn't load!

Need to sort the images out, obviously... :)
Sincil Banks

Postby Sincil Banks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm kicking around on OCTGN if anyone wants some league games...
mendax

Postby mendax » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm around for the rest of this evening, and for pretty much all of tomorrow. So, will I be allowed to play more than 1 round this week since I haven't actually got started yet?
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 pm

king_mob

Postby king_mob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:48 pm

The scoring app we are using is elo. The cap on games was to try and even out player scores a bit, and also prevent people playing there mates over and over again to rack up points. Granted the scene is so chill we probably got away with the honor system.
Chimpster
Site Admin

Postby Chimpster » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:00 pm

mendax

Postby mendax » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:10 pm

SHL just says "go play". Parking the bus at the top happens, as does late surges.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:20 am

One the one hand i kind of think that at this point i think it would be pretty unfair to everyone else who has limited their games for the past 2 1/2 rounds to allow anyone to surge through a load of games to catch up, but on the other hand i actually think you should probably just ask the person you are challenging if they mind playing you more than once in a given round. The first season has been fairly casual and really was more of a testing ground to see if people would be interested/the format would work. So i don't see a problem with it if the people you are playing don't.

More importantly as iv said throughout, if the way this league is being run is not optimal then i'm happy for people to point that out. In fact, i actively encourage more knowledgeable players telling me if i have set things up in an incorrect or clunky way. If we can iron out any kinks now with active discussion then it can only make following seasons of the league better, and i'm more than happy to follow the direction of the more experienced people on the board.

Return to “Online Play”