NRUK Octgn League - Season 1

Moderator: king_mob

evilgaz

Re: NRUK Octgn League - Season 1

Postby evilgaz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:13 am

Not a complaint about the management, my only real frustration is with getting a game organised.

It just likely to lead to me taking part less ultimately, rather than demanding some radical change, but its be good to have some sort of mechanism for getting some things scheduled in. With everyone having real life things to do though that may prove unmanageable.
ApeAsylum

Postby ApeAsylum » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 am

its not ideal, but maybe some sort of shared google doc. Put your name down for an hour slot on a specific day that you know you will be playing. then anyone else who wants to challenge you can see your name and put their name next to it. then there is a scheduled game.

im not sure how well that will work in practice though.

just spit balling
Sincil Banks

Postby Sincil Banks » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:00 pm

I guess the alternative is to have a set amount of fixtures in the league and give everyone a week to organise their games and get their results in

We've got 16 people with results in the league, split it into 2 groups of 8 and everyone can play everyone else in their group. Top 2 in each group go into the playoffs a la American Football...

Lot more work to organise up front (pulling the fixtures up for the 8 weeks) but from then on it needs the players to organise their own schedule and record the results. But everyone would be able to say "It's week 3, I'm playing John Doe, we need to get our game in"

Your committing everyone to 1 game a week for at least 8 weeks in this format though. Not everyone may want it to be that formal or rigid. This type of format can be ruined by dropouts though...
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:43 pm

All great ideas guys, another option is to run it as a simple leader board and make it completely open ended, and unlimited. So basically do away with rounds and seasons and whoever puts the most time in is king of the hill, hopefully though this will give people who have lives outside of the internet more room to get in said games.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:03 pm

I like Sincil's idea. If there's loads of players, like the Stimhack league. Then completely informal is fine. But with few players some sort of fixture system seems better. The only problem is dealing with games that don't get done. But I don't think it's worth working that out until it's a problem. I like having a list of friends on OCTGN, it's more fun playing someone you know/have met/have had internet discussions with. So if nothing else, this thread has given me that.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:23 pm

We have got 1 week left on the season after this one, after that its the regionals so i think a brief pause is in order and some serious thought can go into what would be best. I agree that with 12-15 players it would be nice to have something like a fixtures system, the google hangouts that evilgaz set up can host the shared spreadsheet.

With regards to player scoring and standings, do we want to move that in house with another spreadsheet or stick with the challengeboard.com scoring app?
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I like the fixtures idea (much like the squash league at work). One a week leaves enough scope that if someone is going on their jollies for a for night, they can contact the others / before after and play them as well. e.g. I'm due to play King Mob this week, Ape next week and Mink the week after. I'm off to Bermuda for a week though, so I play Mob anyway and try to get Ape to fit me in this week too. If he can manage it I give him the option of postponing a week then catching up.

Everyone plays everyone once sounds like a good length (about three months) and call that end of season or mid-season break or whatever.

Break for Regionals is cool, but remember its Nationals right after too!

I'm also happy that I've got some people in the friends list who are personable rather than the randoms I encounter otherwise. There's nothing to stop league people playing each other for the Lolz anyway, even if its not their "week". :)
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I think if we're playing a fixture list then the winner should be the player who wins the most games. If it's tied then have a fight outside the bike sheds or whatever. Maybe keep an overall ranking by adding league games to challengeboards to calculate ELO over a long term if people want to do that. I'm torn about keeping track of wins/losses for casual games. While watching numbers change is fun and interesting, it somehow discourages more 'experimental' decks. So IDK. Whatever people prefer.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Vinegarymink

Postby Vinegarymink » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:01 pm

One option for a league would just involve playing one match against a set opponent each week. That way everyone plays the same amount of games and everyone plays everyone. People aren't punished for having less time or inclination to play.
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:30 pm

So, basically we could run a swiss type set of games where everyone gets to play everyone else? That could definitely work.

Edit: Actually i think i like this idea the most, doing the fixtures as others have suggested but only requiring a few fixtures a week, and depending on the number of participants we could get it so everyone gets the chance to play everyone else - i think some people on the board iv not played once yet.
massisi

Postby massisi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:14 pm

So I haven't played in a while does anyone know if it's possible to get the complete match history off the website? I'm trying to get hold of a lot of netrunner match data basically so I can compare different ranking systems.

Also I should be around for some games next week in the evenings so if anyone wants to organise something give me a shout or reply here I guess.
Sometimes you just need a brain in a jar
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:16 am

Right, apologies to everyone for not being able to give proper time and attention to the league. I think now is a decent time for a break and some reflection on how best to continue managing things.

@massisi - i'll look into whether or not match by match history is available.

Return to “Online Play”