Another league season?

Moderator: king_mob

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
king_mob
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Another league season?

Postby king_mob » Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Guys and gals,

Nationals are fast approaching so i think it will be after the end of the month before any serious league play gets underway. Im also all for giving people a bit of a cool down period as i can appreciate the comp season has been a bit of a marathon for some of us.

Even so i still thought it would be nice to open a discussion regarding the format and organization of the next season of the league, and also start brainstorming some fun achievements to give people something to aim for rather than top spot, i think this would give some of us (well, me) a chance to achieve something tangible as the competitive players take up the upper 16 spots and sit there for a month :p Im for people sticking their achievements in their sigs so all may gaze upon them in awe.

So, regarding format, the problem last time that i got from peoples feedback was that having a fairly loose structure and letting people play whenever/however many times they could get a game left some of us with actual lives a bit behind. Also people late to the party felt a bit put out by not getting the same number of rounds as others.

A suggestion which i was fairly keen on was running a kind of swiss pairing, with as many games/rounds of swiss in that week as too make sure we could fit it into the 4 weeks we would run the season for.

How do people feel about this? Its probably a bit more legwork and ill be honest ill be needing a hand from a TO type in doing some of the behind the scenes work, but i think it would give everyone the a level footing in terms of games. For example, two games a week seems doable and people can then organize among themselves when to have the game. Iv come screaming into the 21st century now so im on facebook, i can set up a facebook group although i would prefer if people utilized the forum for organizing games - half the point is to engage the NRUK forum community so it would be nice to use the forum for it!

I'll make a google spreadsheet for pairings and scores from each round i think. What would be the best way to calculate scores each round if we did that?

Thoughts and suggestions below plz.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.
evilgaz

Re: Another league season?

Postby evilgaz » Tue May 12, 2015 9:24 am

My main point of frustration was not being able to get a game, and spending inordinate amounts of time playing OCTGN ping pong messenger with people : "Are you there?" 'Yeah I'm here now' "Oh sorry, I'm in a game now" etc as people get bored and / or other games come along. I'm too old to be hanging out on a game simulator hoping someone shows up! ;)

Getting to know who you are playing in a certain week enables you to arrange a mutually convenient window of opportunity with them, so I'm all for that.

Equally I'm down with having a consistent number of games per week. Sounds fine and dandy.

Nationals is in about three weeks and Sheffield Regional is this weekend, so I'm not sure how wise it is to start right now, but I can always play moar Netrunner, so whatevs.
MartinP

Postby MartinP » Tue May 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Tue May 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Now my coursework is finished I'm much more available for games. A schedule would be excellent.
MOON MONEY!
king_mob

Postby king_mob » Tue May 19, 2015 9:32 am

Hi Guys,

With nats approaching, the BABW series soon after, there may be a slightly extended break for the octgn league. Im going to play it by ear but i think it would be nicer to run something like a league in the down time between competitive events.

Hope thats cool with everyone, if people really want to see another league season soon i am more than happy to set one up.
Memstrips deserves a chance. Memstrips.

Return to “Online Play”