The Eliphant in the Room

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chimpster
Site Admin

The Eliphant in the Room

Postby Chimpster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 am

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/The%20 ... 0Room.html

Here I have a good old fashioned rant about a corp card I consider vastly overpowered! And it's not Astroscript!

How do you deal with Eli?

Which cards frustrate you the most folks?
Brendan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Eliphant in the Room

Postby Brendan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:34 am

Eli probably should have been 4 to rez (compare to Bastion- the extra subroutine surely makes up for the clicking ability?). It certainly finds its way into most decks.

I'm looking forward to the day Morningstar becomes a viable breaker. It's just so hard to use in Anarch right now - even with Retrieval Run...
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am

MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:03 pm

...Or Strength 3.

Eli is really good! Though now all 4 corp factions have 1 inf cards that you think hard about playing in every deck. Eli, Jackson, Crisium Grid and Lotus Field. Of these Jinteki's is the weakest, but not by much. It certainly makes you feel less bad about only paying 1 influence for Datasucker. Eli is less good in a world with less fast advance - you don't want Eli to protect your remotes (unless you're RP - but that's cheating anyway :-) ) - I think if you solve the astroscript problem you might go some way to circumventing the Eli problem.

Morning Star is the answer to Eli for red decks. I think if you're not playing Crypsis only Noise, you've got to bring 1 to the party at the moment. As indicated in the article Eli is universal and you win 3c per break over Corroder. You've broken even the second time you break Eli. The only problem is that in the next pack you also need an answer to Curtain Wall and Hadrian's Wall.

Atman is really good.

Criminal have the biggest problems breaking Eli. But Criminal have the biggest problem with breaking ICE in general, and they seem to do alright. Eli doesn't help much vs Siphon.

... Rachel Beckman gets you an extra click...........

Viper looks superficially pretty similar to Eli. Why isn't it played more?
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
evilgaz

Postby evilgaz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Eli is a twat, there's no doubt. 3-rez cost for Str 4 and two subroutines? Stick two of them on a central and its really costly to get through (hello Foundry). Only 1pt splash as well?

I don't find him as irritating as SanSan (too high trash cost) in the same faction as Astro, but he's easily spashable there.

When I've used him the problems I've normally seen are Str 4 Atman related (Viper, Ichi 1.0, Lotus Field and a host of other ICE suddenly become very porous) and with datasucker in the mix...

Also as early defence he's weak against someone willing to click to score the Account Siphon.

Largely I've been playing Noise (although I'm hipster and trying to change it up since loads of mainstreamers are on it after cache came out :D ), so Parasite/Datasucker has been the answer. He's not easy to kill with the high strength, but generally so painful its worth the effort.

In other news Biotic Labour is one of the cards that depresses me. I really liked HB from the start, but the focus on a fast advance strategy has often left me cold on the faction.

Account Siphon is just a funker. Indexing often seems rough, but it fairly well balanced, AS just seems that little bit too good on balance.

Desperado should arguably cost a bit more.

On the whole, its the Fast Advance stuff that I think peeves me about the game. A lot of tournament games I've had against HB Ending The Fun and various NBN all came down to luck of the draw and who'll see the agendas first? Did the ice breakers come out in the right order for the ice?

Most other decks have strategy and good or bad match ups but FA takes a lot of fun and skill out of Netrunner and turns it more into a lottery of which cards come up first - not completely that way, but more so than I like.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

I think you need fast advance to be viable, if not good, for the metagame. If everyone were just scoring the old fashioned way, we'd see nothing but big-rig runners ready to pounce on advanced cards. Fast advance is the only thing that keeps glacier good - a shaper with Magnum Opus and pumpable breakers can handily beat RP by just sitting back and building. But they'll also stand no chance against fast advance.
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 pm

It's really suprising how little we talk about the power level of Eli 1.0, when it's clear that it's an amazing card. Article was spot on.
Thankfully, we have the best answer to Eli coming up this cycle: http://www.netrunnerdb.com/it/card/06099. Break Eli for 1! (well, 2, if you factor in the install cost). When we get Uninstall, dog breakers are going to be big, I tells ya.
Stronger Anarch tools (which I'm hoping we get out of the big box) will make Quetzal more viable, which also makes Eli that much weaker.
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
stylewars

Postby stylewars » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Best answer to Eli 1.0 is E3 Implants - breaks Eli for a click and credit. E3s complement my knight, david and overmind so I am more likely to be packing them these days.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Exile and the Dumpster Dogs - A deck coming to you this Winter. (It'll be better in Kate)
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:13 pm

it's always better in Kate...
MOON MONEY!
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Now I have this vision of Exile applying for various coding / hacking jobs only to be turned down time and time again for our Core Set Wonder.

EXILE: "You...you hired Mac, didn't you."
SUIT: "Yeah. She's just...better, y'know?"
EXILE: "I know."

*Exile curls up inside dumpster; cries himself to sleep*
The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
leigen_zero

Postby leigen_zero » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:13 am

Y'know what, every time I go via the front page to get to the forum, I look at the title and I think 'There's something wrong with the way elephant is spelled, but I can't put my finger on it'

(Bear in mind that I read the article when it went up last week)

And finally this morning I realised the deliberate eliphant spelling. Talk about late to the party :roll:

Probably explains why my win-loss ratio is so bad :lol:
"I'd like to remind the ladies and gentlemen of the press that several of the buildings damaged in the blast were owned by Weyland Consortium subsidiaries…"

Return to “Site Article Discussion”