[Birmingham] Uplink - Monthly Birmingham Netrunner

Birmingham, Leamington Spa, Shropshire, Worcester

Moderators: Jimiminar, Tezz, sxk634

sxk634

[Birmingham] Uplink - Monthly Birmingham Netrunner

Postby sxk634 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Announcing the monthly Birmingham Netrunner Gamedays - Uplink at Waylands Forge.

Hey everyone, I'm the organiser of the monthly Birmingham Netrunner events.

These are held, usually on the first saturday of the month, at a local game shop - Waylands Forge (Unit LG6A Zellig, The Custard Factory, Gibb Street, Digbeth, B9 4AA).

Entry is usually free, as it is just an excuse for all the local Netrunner players to gather, play against a variety of opponents, and enjoy the game.

There will be regular formal tournament events arranged, basically whenever we have Game Night Kits as prize support. Entry to these events will be £3 payable on the day, with a variety of prizes available (deck boxes, playmats, alt-art cards).

Please confirm the exact details of the event to avoid any potential disappointment.

All players are welcome, no matter your level of experience with the game. So please come along, whether you are a Netrunning expert, or still require pointers on how to play. Any of us will be happy to teach the game.

All upcoming events will be posted on this forum, as well as on our facebook group -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1638612733052453/

If you have any questions or suggestions for events in the Birmingham area send me a PM or post in the forum.

Cheers,

Steve.
Tao Sharma

Re: Uplink - Monthly Birmingham Netrunner

Postby Tao Sharma » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Are you still running Netrunner events on the first Saturday of every month? I've never played before but would love to start - would I be able to come along? I'm familiar with games and I'm a quick learner.

Tao
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Tao,

Yes, the Birmingham events are still running. We have actually had our highest numbers yet in recent tournaments.

However the regular date is a little bit hard to pin down. We really need to fit in with other game events going on at the store. We are still trying to get one of the first two weekends each month, but the best thing to do is confirm the date of the events - either here or on the facebook group.

Vapo also runs a weekly meetup on tuesday nights, but that might be switching to fortnightly soon.

The next saturday event is on Saturday November 15th. It is planned to be a constructed-deck tournament, so you would need to bring pre-constructed decks for it. Other events (including tuesday nights) are casual-play, and you can even borrow decks if you just want to try the game at one of those.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Tao Sharma

Postby Tao Sharma » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info.

Where/who is Vapo? I think Tuesday nights would often be better for me - what date is the next one?

If I got together a deck for the 15th of November, but hadn't really played much before, would you still recommend I go? I imagine it might be a bit frustrating having an inexperienced player slowing things down?

Tao
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Tao,

Hopefully we'll be meeting this Tuesday (the 4th), but with it getting into christmas party season the place we meet has started being booked up occasionally - I'm gonna pop in tomorrow and check that it's free, and if so I'll get a facebook event up and post the details here too. I'd be happy to meet up with you for a few games even if the full event isn't on, it's easy enough to find a corner of a pub for just 2 people!

Do you own the core set? I can put together the recommended starter decks from it if not. I'd also recommend you watch this tutorial video from FFG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y It's great for covering the basics of the rules and the terminology - I largely learnt the game by watching that plus a few actual games on youtube.

A tournament isn't the best learning environment for a totally new player because the rounds are timed, but once you've got a handle on the rules they're a good place to pick up the more subtle interactions and timing issues you might not come across in casual play - a good way to judge it is if you feel comfortable enough with the game to build your own deck and justify your choices you're probably gonna be fine at a tournament.
Vapo

Postby Vapo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am

Ok we're on at the Sun on the Hill from 5pm Tuesday, here's the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/752917014745500/
Tao Sharma

Postby Tao Sharma » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Ah! I've been a little busy and completely forgot to check for your response - sorry about that and thanks for replying. I don't have facebook, so although nothing prevents me from keeping an eye on the page, you won't see a request from me to join it.

A friend and I managed to learn and play over the weekend - we played about four games - so I've got the basics down. It is as fun and addictive as I was led to expect! I think I should be able to to reach a passable level and have a deck together by the 15th, so I'll see you both then if not before.

@Vapo: I'd certainly be up for doing some casual play in a pub sometime. I'll PM you about it.
sxk634

Postby sxk634 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Cool, no problems Tao.

I'm keen to make sure that everyone gets a participation prize from the tournaments, and the way they work usually results in you getting some fun competitive matches. People seem to enjoy the days so far.
sxk634

Re: [Birmingham] Uplink - Monthly Birmingham Netrunner

Postby sxk634 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Hey everyone,

Due to family commitments I've recently stepped back from running Netrunner events in the Birmingham area.

Waylands Forge have moved the management of premier events (store and regional championships) in-store to Jay. I'm not sure if they are now looking for someone to run more casual events, or if they already have it in hand.

I will remain as admin on this group until I have been informed who I should hand it onto. But bear with me as all info I can post up regarding upcoming events will be 2nd hand. The semi-monthly events are on hold until someone is confirmed to be running them.

It's been good fun, hope to see you all at upcoming events.

Return to “Midlands”