The Space Between Updates

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chimpster
Site Admin

The Space Between Updates

Postby Chimpster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 am

Site Article: http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/the%20 ... dates.html

So what meta changes have impacted you the most over the last couple of months? What card are you sick to death of seeing already and which cards do you think will be the slow burners?
Vapo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Space Between Updates

Postby Vapo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 am

Surprised about the Will o the Wisp mention, it got a lot of talk when it was first spoiled but I'm yet to actually come across it in a game! I did put it in my RP deck but it only lasted about 2 games before I decided it was too fiddly and expensive.

Some flavours of Noise (those with Crypsis & Djinn) are pretty unbothered by it too, a click and 4 creds from the corp vs 2 clicks, 6 creds and a free mill for you isn't a particularly painful trade-off, especially if you have grimoire and/or cyberfeeders out.

Running is definitely the tough side of the game though, the last Worcester tournament demonstrated that pretty well when me and Dave managed to draw for first place with only 2 runner wins a piece and no corp losses.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 am

I think WOTW is a great card in some decks, things like Tennin really benefit from it.

There is a lot of choice with corp at the moment if you want to play a competitive deck, runner seems more challenging, with Kate and Andy being the only consistent IDs.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:27 pm

WOTW is great in Weyland too. Gives you something to splash the cash on that doesn't require racing the runner.

I think there are a bunch of runner IDs that make good decks. Andy and Kate are only just the best in my opinion. I also think the Corp advantage is overstated. It's slightly easier as Corp, but I don't think it's 60-40.

Noise is definitely a thing at the moment. Aesop's Noise is SO RICH!
I also think that Order of Sol could push Nasir to Kate tier in Shaper.

I am coming around to some of the new cards, I'm getting excited about building runner decks again. The pendulum is starting to come back.
Oh that, don't worry about that, it's my negotiating tank.
mendax

Postby mendax » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm not sure whether Noise is up there with Andy and Kate or not - I've been failing miserably to play a good Noise deck, but this is probably more to do with the fact that I've never played a good Anarch deck. I will, however, put in an honourable mention for Stirling. He may not be objectively top tier, but my results with him have not been too shabby at all.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Noise has some problems still. One of them is still money, Anarch economy is much better but it works on the logic of being able to afford cheap things. It doesn't need a large number of credits to function, and I've been having a lot of success with flatlining Noise, in fact games against him are considerably easier than other factions.
Definitely some deck types on the rise but not tier 1 yet, and it makes me sad there isnt more breaking through.
pruneface

Postby pruneface » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:00 pm

The onesie was a legitimate tactical decision.
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 pm

People don't play enough Djinn in Noise. Once you're set up* djinning for Cache is a 1 inf free lucky find with a mill. Dejacache is also twice as good as same old lucky find, in fact same old dejacache is efficient enough. All your viruses are sure gambles. I genuinely think Noise is competitive with Andy and Kate. That 1 link appears to be what sets the really good runner IDs apart. Which is weird because it shouldn't be that important.

* I know, 'once you're set up' is a pretty brutal caveat.
James 1.0

Postby James 1.0 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I haven't been in any sensible meta for a while now, but a couple of cards I'm excited about from the lunar cycle that people seem to gloss over:

Heinlein Grid: Spooks Runners like you wouldn't believe. Almost invariably sends people digging for Imp or saving up enough creds to break all the bioroids on a server and leave 3 to trash Heinlein. Along with the next card is a keystone in what I consider to be a playable Stronger Together deck.
Lag Time: Just consistently causes the Runner misery. Nearly always good value.
Domestic Sleepers: The card every 3-Pointer HB deck has been waiting for. And yes I'm still talking about Stronger Together.
The Root: This thing. I have not the words to describe the horror this card has visited upon me. If you ever find Imp lacking in your meta The Root is possibly one of the best value cards in the game.
Unscheduled Maintenance: This is the hardest sell on the list. I'm a dyed in the wool Reina player and the combination of UM/Reina skullduggery/Parasite recursion is a thing of beauty.
Cerberus

Postby Cerberus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Vapo

Postby Vapo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Sixtyten

Postby Sixtyten » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 pm

After a week of adding paywall implementation into my NEH asset spam deck I can confirm that it is excellent in any kind of deck where you are less worried about accesses. Josh's new foundry version of his yellowcoats style taxing deck was horrible to witness yesterday. Particularly with the card that has been dubbed here "Enhanced Penis Protocols". I've yet to have a WTW used against me or a lag time. I'm sure both are pretty horrible. Some excellent use of targetted marketing is a wonderful thing. Particularly when the runner doesn't realise it happens EACH time he/she plays/installs the card. "feel free to test run out your barrier breaker and install it the next turn!"

The root is a great card, but every time i've tried to use it, it's been trashed on the spot. Tempted to add it to my NEH deck before the glorious dawn of blue sun...
MOON MONEY!
Mezzamine

Postby Mezzamine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Yeah, I'm really liking The Foundry; it's ability can get out of control super quickly if the runner isn't careful, and Stacking NEXT / Eli / Caduceus is cheap for you and an absolute horror for them.

Will o Wisp is definitely scary if used right, but unless the corp is super rich it can really hurt their credit bank early game, and it makes their R&D more porous. Late game, if the runner's thrown away all their duplicates and tutors it can open up a scoring window, but on the other hand I often find that I'm drawing so much there are only a few cards left in deck anyway (stick it in Jinteki PE, perhaps?).

I'm really starting to look forward to Quetzal, if only because it make a good starting point for a personal challenge: The Breakerless runner deck.
"SEA SOURCE FOR 98 MOTHERFUCKER"
MasterAir

Postby MasterAir » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:11 am

Return to “Site Article Discussion”